Fritz box - Problem connecting second PC using LAN

iamunknown

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Hi@all,

Ich erkläre mein problem besser auf English...Aber Ihr können antwort auch auf Deutsch schreiben

Ok..I have a Fritz! Box 3030, and have an internet connection with 1und1.
The Fritz! Box has 2 LAN Ports, 1 USB Port, and also WLAN.

Last many months I was using a notebook, connected to Fritz! Box using one of the LAN Ports.
I have assigned my notebook a fixed I.P (192.168.178.102), because I needed some port forwarding configurations (eg : for Azureus and some other P2P clients).

I have completely disabled the WLAN port of my Fritz! Box, because I dont intend to use it.

Now, last week I got a new PC.
I installed latest Windows XP with Service Pack 2 on that.

Now, I want to achieve 2 things :

1. Make my new PC connect to internet using the second LAN Port on my Fritz! Box (There are 2 LAN Ports, one currently used by my notebook).

2. Use the Fritz! Box as the router so that both my PCs are connected to each other.

I assume, technically this is possible, and Fritz! Box is meant for that.

So, I tried as per the instructions given on my Fritz! Box installations CD.

I connected my second PC to the Fritz! Box, using the second LAN Port.
But during software installation using the Fritz! Box installation CD, in the step where it checks for possible connection methods, it doesn't recognise my LAN connection....It shows me that I have 2 possibilities to connect to Fritz! Box...USB or WLAN !!...But, what about my second LAN Port on the Fritz! Box ???

Ok...next I disabled the Windows Firewall completely, on my new PC.
And tried the Fritz! Box installation software once again...again the same result!!!...

Ok...then, I changed the network connection properties OF MY NEW PC, and gave it a static I.P address (TCP/IP configuration settings)...Actually, I gave the same I.P Address, Subnet mask etc. which was in my notebook configuration.
Now I saw a "Pop" ON MY NOTEBOOK, saying that "some other computer in the network has the same I.P address as this one". !!!

This means that, there is some "connection" between my new PC and the Fritz! Box (otherwise my Notebook would have never known that my new PC has been assigned the same I.P address as his!)

But, the result of installation remained always the same...the installation could never be completd...because it always gives me only the options to chose from a USB or WLAN connection !!!..and I dont intend to use either of them!!!...I want to connect using LAN.

BTW, I also checked the Fritz! system using "http://fritz.box".
There, "LAN A" represents my notebook, and it was "ACTIVE".
When I connect (just the cable connection) my new PC to the the second LAN Port on the Fritz! Box, it says "LAN B" also ACTIVE.
When I disconnect the cable, and make a refresh, "LAN B" is not ACTIVE.

So, all physical connections seems to be Ok.

I guess the problem might be some config. in Windows XP (with SP2), or with some other setting in Fritz Box which I dont know of.

Can anybody please help me here ??....Bitte!!!....Please...

Gruss!,
Ajith

Hallo iamunknown.

Bitte lies 'mal den Abschnitt 6.2 "DHCP-Server" vom Handbuch zur Fritz!Box.
Das siehst du die IP-Adress-Bereiche, die für die LAN-Ports der Fritz!Box default-mäßig verwendet werden.

Wichtig ist die Einstellung "Alle Computer befinden sich in selben IP-Netzwerk".
Du solltest diese Option setzen und deinen beiden Rechner zwei VERSCHIEDENE IP-Adressen aus dem Bereich 192.168.178.2 bis 192.168.178.254 geben.

Gruß,

Richard.

Problem :: File transfer between LAN A and LAN B

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your support.

So, as of now, everything works fine.
Both of my computers are connected to Frirz! Box using LAN ports, and both can access internet and the performance is quite nice.

I could also share documents between both computers.
But, here I see a big problem.
Small sized files (less than 5 MB or so) can be easily copied between the two computers. But, if I try to copy large size files or folders (sizes greater than 100 MB or even 1 GB or so) between them, the transfer gets interrupted after a couple of minutes. Its almost impossible to transfer files of large sizes between the 2 computers.

Unfortunately, I would need to do this very often.

My guess is that the problem lies in the Fritz! Box...may be its not made to handle such high volume traffic, when used as a router ?
What if I use a switch in between ?...I dont know the exact technical details, but I have read that a switch is far "superior" than a normal network hub..

If "switch" is the solution, could you please tell me, how should I connect the switch ?

PC1 => Network Cable => Switch => LAN A on Fritz Box
PC2 => Network Cable => Switch => LAN B on Fritz Box

OR

PC1 => Network cable => Switch 1 => LAN A on Fritz Box
PC2 => Network cable => Switch 2 => LAN B on Fritz Box

Please note that, in the first case I need to buy only 1 switch, and in the second case, I need to buy 2 switches.

Which is the correct/best way ?...Any recommended switches (brand,model)?

Please apologise, if I said something foolish :)...I've not much knowledge or experience in this area.

Please let me know, if you see any other simple good way.

Thanks in advance,

With best regards,
Ajith

Hello Ajith.

I don't know if this is a problem of the Fritz!Box.

But if you buy a switch (a switching hub) you just have to connect your two PCs and the Fritz!Box (LAN A or LAN B) to the switch.
You don't need any further connections.
The switch will forward the IP packets between all three connected devices.

Best regards,

Richard.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.