Requesting Comments

evilbunny

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
For a while now we've been publishing DNC (do not call) records in e164.org's zone, the idea is pretty simple, we already have a large number of phone records, why not tag them with who and how the person wants to be contacted.

While we doubt the existing DNC lists will use our method, it's hoped that in future this will encourage DNC deployment (and enforcement) in other countries.

We've documented how we think such information could be used and are planning to move forward and write it out as an Internet Draft, but before we did that we're hoping to seek out opinions on what we have, or what we should try to do differently etc.

http://www.e164.org/wiki/DoNotCall

I noticed the DNC feature at e164.org some time ago...

The most crucial question still is, however, who uses/respects them ;-)

DNC is a feature that should be reasonably well split between directory rules (e.g., e164.org entries) and local rules (in a PABX of some sort). I agree with you that directory rules should be simple and declarative, i.e., not list individual numbers or prefixes, but rather classes of undesired callers. Local rules should implement specific number prefix screening or reject callers without caller id. The latter may be a case you should also document in directory rules as it is an important indication for callers. The responsibility of directory rules is to document and indicate call accept policies to potential callers, and of the local rules to enforce them.

The problem with calls lacking caller id is currently that callers may not be aware of any such rules at the called party's end and keep ringing (no matter whether they get a busy signal or the call times out). Documenting this policy in the directory makes it clear and could even be signalled at the caller's end.

--gandalf.

Unfortunately we don't have the ability to police how information is used from e164.org, what we are hoping is that countries will enforce the technology on companies by way of fines if they don't comply, this seems to be working well in the US from what I've heard.

I'm currently working on some scripts that will allow people without a web browser to ring up and ask the system to call them back to verify it's their number and then set the DNC preferences by typing them into the phone. However problems with DTMF have delayed this.

That was not exactly a reply to my suggestion to include a DNC option documenting "I don't accept calls without caller id" ;-)

--gandalf.

Sorry, 3am here and I'm getting sleepy :)

I use the PrivacyManager() function in Asterisk for force people to enter a CallerID or it trashes their call, and even if I do get a caller ID it can still dump the call to voice mail if the CID doesn't match my whitelist :)

I don't want to keep you from well-deserved sleep :)

...but the point I was making is the following: how about adding a bit in the DNC mask to indicate "i don't accept anonymous calls"?

Cheers,
--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
...but the point I was making is the following: how about adding a bit in the DNC mask to indicate "i don't accept anonymous calls"?

I know that was your point, but given that sending calls over the net means you can set CID to anything do you really want to put any trust in it at all, ever? (mind you the whole reason I have a white list in the first place is because I mostly distrust the caller ID system, especially in the US, where it's abused completely)...

I'd be more inclinde to do something with SIP-TLS and have them authenticate either their server, and/or the client in SIP headers, or the much loathed SMIME SIP headers which are signed.

In either case, these systems provide true caller authentication, not just something the cat threw up at some point. Especially if you combine the efforts of CAcert.org which already runs an authentication network which could easily be leveraged for this purpose :)

Indeed... there are plenty of options to actually enforce caller identification or authentication. I also acknowledge the fact that e164.org cannot enforce any compliance with DNC policies.

However, much along the same line of being unable to prevent cold calls, but rather document the intention of the VoIP user not to receive cold calls, you could document the intent of that user to reject anonymous or unauthenicatable calls by yet another bit in the DNC mask. How this is actually achieved is a different topic.

--gandalf.

I've made a number of changes to the wiki document to include updated ideas and suggestions...

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.