Using an FVG318 on a VDSL line

BoringDeveloper

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
I ordered VDSL for use with my Netgear FVG318. I expected to get a newer modem than my DG834GB. I did not know about 'zielnetz architekture' or VLAN tagging at the time.

Once I found out about these issues I talked to Netgear and Telekom, who made it clear that my FVG318 would not work on a VDSL line.

The short answer is that after switching to VDSL the FVG318 will continue to work connected to a VDSL modem.

The long answer:

I ended up, through mistaken deliveries from Telekom, with a W920V, a W722V and a Speedport 221 (the new VDSL2+ modem). During the line change-over I had the W920V acting as a modem (as it handles both ADSL and VDSL). After the switch-over the network connection remained, but only at 6Mb (not the expected 25Mb).
Then I replace the W920V with the 221 and the connection continues to work, although only at 12Mb. The uplink is more than 3Mb so the line is operating faster, but is probably limited by the WLAN.

So the lesson I want to impart is that if you have an older PPPoE based router, that needs a modem to connect to the internet, then switching from an ADSL modem to a VDSL router acting as a modem, or a pure VDSL modem, will allow the older router, the FVG318 at least, to work.

I though this might be useful information. No one in Telekom or Netgear seems to be able to give this information to the customer.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.