Netgear N750 and Speedport W722v - T-Home Entertain in a multi-router environment

sgoemans

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
If you are fed up with the German Telekom's Speedport VDSLmodem/router device because it doesn't support Gigabit-switching LAN ports and 5 GHz WLAN, and if you are looking for a more capable router/switch, this article has just been written for you, particularly if you subscribed to the Telekom Entertain IPTV service.
So if you are looking for a gigabit switching router, perhaps coming with 5 GHz WLan support, your obvious goal is to provide DLNA streaming of HD video content within your home network. The Telekom's Speedport range of modem/router products is far from being able to accomplish this. Distributing HD video content over your home network requires some more sophisticated (faster, to put it simple) hardware. Your HD video content is probably stored on your NAS system, or you even plan to buy a switch/router coming with DLNA support right away. You may also have heard of problems with T-Home Entertain in a cascading or multiple router setup. There are many support forums spread over the internet which discuss this particular problem how to setup a high speed 3rd partry router in combination with a Speedport modem/router device while still supporting IPTV (T-Home Entertain). Technical terms being used in such postings are IGMP snooping/pass-through/forwarding, IGMP v3, multicast, unicast, VLAN7/8. See following simple proposal how to setup a router-to-routerModem-to-internet home network.
Example: Netgear N750 connected to the Speedport W 722v which connects to the internet through its integrated VDSL modem. Yes, you guessed right. I simply overlooked the fact, that 3rd party WLAN routers not necessarily come with an integrated modem. As a result, I was stuck with that unholy Speedport device which still had to maintain my internet connection. At first, I connected my N750 WAN port to one of the 100 Mbit LAN ports of the Speedport and run the N750 setup, which was admirably simple. I put all my LAN cables from my networked devices into the N750. I switched off the WLAN module of the Speedport device and named the new N750 2,4 GHz WLAN the same as my former WLAN which originated from the Speedport. And guess what, everything (LAN and WLAN) worked right away. Even T-Home Entertain worked fine. It continued to work for about 10 seconds. Then the IPTV picture on my TV froze. Switching my Telekom media receiver off/on gave me another 10 seconds, and so on. I googled the symptoms and quickly I was convinced that I had a problem with multicast streams. The first 10 seconds is a dedicated video stream sent exclusively to your media receiver (unicast). During that 10 seconds, the media receiver must find and hook on the public multicast stream. If you have a problem with forwarding the multicast network protocol data from your Speedport to your media receiver, it's the guy in the middle which usually gives you a hard time. In the before mentioned configuration, it was my Netgear N750, which didn't want to flood its LAN and WLAN networks with multicast streaming data. To make a long story short, read the following what I did to fix the problem and how I ended up with a stunning fast home network which is now able to stream HD video content to all my DLNA players (2 x SONOS Play:5, TV1: Samsung UE55D8090, TV2: Panasonic + WD TV Live HD Streaming) while still supporting my T-Home Entertain IPTV.

Speedport:
Konfiguration -> Netzwerk -> DHCP-Funktion -> Aus
Konfiguration -> Netzwerk -> WLAN (Wireless LAN) -> Aus
Konfiguration -> Netzwerk -> "Gerät als DSL-Modem benutzen" -> Aus

Netgear N750:
Set Up -> Basic Settings -> "Does your internet connection require a login" -> No
Set Up -> Basic Settings -> Internet IP Address -> "Use Static IP Address" -> IP Address -> 192.168.2.200
Set Up -> Basic Settings -> Internet IP Address -> "Use Static IP Address" -> IP Subnet Mask -> 255.255.255.0
Set Up -> Basic Settings -> Internet IP Address -> "Use Static IP Address" -> GAteway IP Address -> 192.168.2.1
Set Up -> Basic Settings -> Domain Name Server (DNS) Address -> Use These DNS Servers -> Primary DNS -> 192.168.2.1
Setup -> Wireless Settings -> Name (SSID) -> "Your former WLAN network name (SSID) which your Speedport was configured to"
Advanced -> WAN Setup -> Disable IGMP Proxying -> UNCHECKED !!
Advanced > LAN Setup -> Use Router as DHCP Server - CHECKED
Advanced -> LAN Setup -> IP Address -> 192.168.2.200

Please note that as soon as the media receiver is switched on or recording, the multicast data is sent to all Gigabit LAN ports of the Netgear router. Not much of switching here. Nevertheless, even with a 50 MBit/sec vdsl internet connection, it will consume just a mere 2 percent of the switching router's bandwidth. If someone has got a solution to this issue, I would be glad to hear about it.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Zurzeit aktive Besucher

Statistik des Forums

Themen
Mitglieder
Neuestes Mitglied
Brainbanger
Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.