Converting a German targeted Fritz!Box Fon Wlan to an International version

Hi Wortelstok

sorry that i did not reply faster - i forget to chceck forum:p

O,o, I am now stuck with my Fritz!box Fon...
First did the "annex_a" conversion, then I used Sirkubax' solution.
However when I pasted the sentence to telnet:

Zitat:
echo "firmware_version avme" > /proc/avalanche/env

The Fritz!box didn't die in my case. Nevertheless I tried the "fritz.box_fon.annexa.en.04.01.recover-image.exe", however after it "deleted the settings" in the process, it found itself to be incompatible.

Zitat:
Searching FRITZ!Box Fon (Annex A) at: 169.254.227.2
One system found! - Detecting the current version.
Version successfully detected!
Hardware: FRITZ!Box Fon
Bootstrap: 93
Firmware: 06.04.15
FRITZ!Box Fon firmware is incompatible with the recovery firmware

Now I am left with a Fritz!box that I can't approach through my webbrowser anymore (although I still get an IP and can open a telnet session).
So I don't know even how to go back to a previous stage, to redo the order or something, since all recovery programs are incompatible.

What should I do to at least be able to have the German firmware again...

I think your problem actualy was wrong RECOVERY file

Ihave Fritzbox Fon WLAN 7050, and my recovery file was for that Fritzbox

as i can see in your log from recovery tool, you have Fritzboz Fon (not Wlan)

thats why you should use anyother recovery file
try here ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox.fon/

look for recovery tool (in x_misc , english ( en) for annex a)

i think that is all you have to do

Please tell if it worked...

sirkubax

edit
file is there
ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox.fon/x_misc/english/annex a

Hi Sirkubax,
Thanks for your concern!
look for recovery tool (in x_misc , english ( en) for annex a)
i think that is all you have to do
Please tell if it worked...
sirkubax
I used that recovery tool! (As you can read in the name of the recovery image file). But it didn't work. In the mean time I got my FBF up and running, through an FTP connection advised by Telefonicus.

I have still the following questions/suggestions for the "seniors" on the forum ;) :
  • For recovery and other purposes it is often advised to create an FTP connection with the FBF. Many people including myself don't succeed in that using the DOS command. I found that using a tool such as Total Commander it is much easier to connect to the FBF, and it could be used as a general advise? However, I didn't fully understand the required settings in TC (see my post #197), maybe somebody could make a directive/sticky for that?
  • Post 173 from Sirubax is clearly the simplest way to convert the German box (I even translated it for a dutch forum). However the transfer to "Annex A" is not complete in my case as described in my post #199. I run the annex-A script (Fritz_als_annex_a_new.tar) but cannot recover the box using the Annex-A recovery tool. When I force-load the firmware (image) using the "recover.exe" I cannot approach the web interface of the FBF. When I have the newest (annex B) firmware and do the AnnexA script, the statement "The modifications to your FRITZ!Box are not supported by the manufacturer" is in the System panel
    So some setting is not clean yet. Is it the bootstrap no.? Is it in the config file? When I run telnet, I see my config still says "CONFIG_ANNEX='B' " on line 17, while line 5 says "Annex A". I think this is still a flaw in the Sirubax' procedure...
Thanks!

Changing FB7050 to English Annex A without FTP

I ve tried unsuccesfully to make a FTP connection to my 7050

But I could use Telnet to change the environment:

echo "annex A" > /proc/avalanche/env
echo "HWRevision 77" > /proc/avalanche/env
echo "ProductID Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexA" > /proc/avalanche/env

and then recover with

fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.annexa.en.04.20.recover-image.exe

It took 3 tries before the recovery was succesful, but now its fully working and the ADSL connection is better than with the German firmware

Anders

Hi,
I have successfully converted my german Fritz Box Fon Wlan 7050 to 14.4.20 international (annex A), thanks to the suggestion of sikubax. Perhaps my experience might be of some help to someone:

1. first I recovered the original firmware using the recovery tool from the supplied cd (in my case program FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7050.03.86.recover-image.exe)

At first I used to get some Winerror during update (do not remember the exact number), but then I sued THE ORIGINAL RED network CABLE supplied with the box, and the process went flawlessly.

2. The telnet activation (#96*7*) didn't work on this (probably too old) firmware, so I upgraded to 14.04.15 by uploading the image from the web interface

3. After that the rest is according to the suggestion of sikubax:
* activated telnet #96*7* from the telephone connected to Fon 1
* telnet 192.168.178.1
* echo "firmware_version avme" > /proc/avalanche/env
* recover using fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.en.04.20.recover-image.exe

works without problems so far

To what value should I set the HWRevision of the FBF for annexA? Is it 58?
The rest I should be able to do using telnet, are the settings below correct for the Fritz!box Fon?

[Edit: I checked and updated the HWrevision. Below are the correct settings for the Fritz!Box Fon]

echo "annex A" > /proc/avalanche/env
echo "HWRevision 64" > /proc/avalanche/env
echo "ProductID Fritz_Box_Fon_AnnexA" > /proc/avalanche/env

Thanks! :)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Eureka!!! I made it!!!

What was the point? I used an own network cable to connect pc with the Box... I had to use the original RED CABLE!! (Thanks ukman!!!)

First I recovered with the original German firmware, then I used the adam2 loader to set the parameters. With my own pc, no problem at all! After that I recovered with the Int. firmware. Finally.

Thank you all for helping!!!!

Next Problem: DTMF caller ID. Should work on international firmware, when Regional settings are set to Netherlands. But that is for tomorrow...

After the conversion I've tried many times to get Caller ID on my telephone, but it seems to be a problem. My telephone provider (the analogue line) delivers a DTMF signal, where Fritz!Box delivers it in FSK. The international version of the Fritz!Box should understand both DTMF and FSK and send it as FSK to the telephone. I've changed the firmware into the international version and set the "Regional settings" in "Netherlands", but it doesn't work out. At every call, the display of the telephone says " *2* ". Even if the calling number does not contain a 2. As the internet telephone number signal is being sent as FSK, this Caller ID is not a problem.

My telephone does support both DTMF and FSK, the cable lenght before and behind the splitter is minimized, but I have no luck so far.

Is it possible that the original by AVM delivered international boxes do have some other hardware in the box? Or are they exactly the same?

Any suggestions, parameters to change welcome!

Hello everybody.
I have a FBF Wlan 7050 for about 6 months, and some neighbour who was working at Portugal Telecom manage to change it to annex A (so i have internet over LAN) . However he could not change the Language to english.
Meantime he moved out of City, and recently i found this forum explaing how to change to international version. I must confess that i am not an expert to computers but I learn fast and with the help of the experts on this forum i believe that I can change my box so that i can take advantage of all is capabilities,as i not understand German:blonk: . (at this moment only working as modem).
So I plug phone to Phone1 and it : #96*7*
then open a DOS box and type : telnet 192.168.178.1 which give me this results :

Code:
HWRevision='76'
HWRevision_ATA='1'
HWRevision_BitFileCount=''
HWRevision_Reserved1='0'
ANNEX='A'
ANNEX_PTEST_FILE='ptest-results-0'
ANNEX_PTEST_HOST='192.168.178.20'
ANNEX_TEST='0'
OEM='avm'
OEM_DEFAULT_INDEX=''
OEM_tmp='avm'
Language='de'
Country='049'
TZ='CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0'
CONFIG_AB_COUNT='3'
CONFIG_ANNEX='B'
CONFIG_ASSIST='y'
CONFIG_ATA='y'
CONFIG_ATA_FULL='n'
CONFIG_AUDIO='n'
CONFIG_AURA='n'
CONFIG_BLUETOOTH='n'
CONFIG_BLUETOOTH_CTP='n'
CONFIG_BUTTON='n'
CONFIG_CAPI='y'
CONFIG_CAPI_MIPS='n'
CONFIG_CAPI_NT='y'
CONFIG_CAPI_POTS='y'
CONFIG_CAPI_TE='y'
CONFIG_CAPI_UBIK='y'
CONFIG_CAPI_XILINX='n'
CONFIG_CDROM='y'
CONFIG_CDROM_FALLBACK='n'
CONFIG_DECT='n'
CONFIG_DSL='y'
CONFIG_ENVIRONMENT_PATH='/proc/sys/dev/adam2'
CONFIG_ETH_COUNT='2'
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_URL='[URL="http://www.avm.de/fritzbox-firmware-update.php?hardware=76&"]http://www.avm.de/fritzbox-firmware-update.php?hardware=76&[/URL]
oem=avm&language=de&country='
CONFIG_FON='y'
CONFIG_HOMEI2C='n'
CONFIG_HOSTNAME='fritz.fonwlan.box'
CONFIG_I2C='n'
CONFIG_INSTALL_TYPE='ar7_ubik2_4MB_2eth_3ab_isdn_nt_te_pots_wlan_50494'
CONFIG_JFFS2='n'
CONFIG_LED_NO_DSL_LED='n'
CONFIG_MAILER='y'
CONFIG_MEDIACLI='n'
CONFIG_MEDIASRV='n'
CONFIG_NAND='n'
CONFIG_NFS='n'
CONFIG_OEM_DEFAULT='avm'
CONFIG_PRODUKT='Fritz_Box_7050'
CONFIG_PRODUKT_NAME='FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050'
CONFIG_RAMSIZE='32'
CONFIG_ROMSIZE='4'
CONFIG_SERVICEPORTAL_URL='[URL="http://www.avm.de/fritzbox-service-portal.php?hardware"]http://www.avm.de/fritzbox-service-portal.php?hardware[/URL]
=76&oem=avm&language=de&country=&version=14.04.15&subversion='
CONFIG_STOREUSRCFG='y'
CONFIG_SUBVERSION=''
CONFIG_TAM='n'
CONFIG_TAM_MODE='0'
CONFIG_TR069='n'
CONFIG_UBIK2='y'
CONFIG_UPNP='y'
CONFIG_USB='y'
CONFIG_USB_HOST_AVM='n'
CONFIG_USB_HOST_TI='n'
CONFIG_USB_PRINT_SERV='n'
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE='n'
CONFIG_USB_WLAN_AUTH='n'
CONFIG_VDSL='n'
CONFIG_VERSION='04.15'
CONFIG_VERSION_MAJOR='14'
CONFIG_VLYNQ='y'
CONFIG_VLYNQ0='1'
CONFIG_VLYNQ1='0'
CONFIG_VPN='n'
CONFIG_WLAN='y'
CONFIG_WLAN_1130TNET='y'
CONFIG_WLAN_1350TNET='n'
CONFIG_WLAN_GREEN='n'
CONFIG_WLAN_WDS='y'
CONFIG_XILINX='n'
ermittle die aktuelle TTY
tty is "/dev/pts/0"
Console Ausgaben auf dieses Terminal umgelenkt
#
From here I need to know exactly what to do. Exactly which recovery.exe, which Firmware, etc...
It seems Sirkubax solution seems the easyest one, but would be nice some step by step, as i dont wanna screw up my box because i am newbie.

Thank you for reading, and sorry if any mistake on my English, and thank you anyone who will take time to advice.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
I have read many post and all are different (or seem to be). This is how I did it:

1) got my black FBF7050
2) no recent english firmware was available, so i did only the annex A trick, with german firmware (good for my german btw :))
3) I telnet to the box (first activate telnet with #96*7*)
4) I typed "echo annex A >> /prov/avanlanche/env"
5) i typed "reboot". The FBF came up with annex A, everything works

this is the situation you are currently in

6) i noticed there was english firmware for the FBF
7) I telnet again to the fbf and type "echo annex B >> /prov/avalanche/env" and "echo firmware_version avme >> /prov/avalanche/env".
8) I reboot, i upgrade with the downloaded firmware (14.04.20 annex B edition), and I reboot again
edit: I forget a step, after the reboot of step 8 you should telnet and repoint the symlink /var/www to /usr/www/avm
9) after reboot, again via telnet "echo annex A >> /prov/avalanche/env" and reboot.

et voilla, one englishe annex A fbf.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
arnevt schrieb:
this is the situation you are currently in

6) i noticed there was english firmware for the FBF
7) I telnet again to the fbf and type "echo annex B >> /prov/avalanche/env" and "echo firmware_version avme >> /prov/avalanche/env".
8) I reboot, i upgrade with the downloaded firmware (14.04.20 annex B edition), and I reboot again
9) after reboot, again via telnet "echo annex A >> /prov/avalanche/env" and reboot.

et voilla, one englishe annex A fbf.

Hello Arnevt, thank you, but should it not be (14.04.20 annex A) edition:confused:

Thank you.
Valter

Hello Arnevt, thank you, but should it not be (14.04.20 annex A) edition
No, because that will not be accepted. You can also use one of the scripts (Fritz als annex a).

The modifications to your FRITZ!Box are not supported by the manufacturer

I have for some reason (or say, for curiosity) telnetted to my Fritzbox. However, I had to realize that AVM has recently built in some "telnet alarm" that issues a warning if you have ever used telnet:

"The modifications to your FRITZ!Box are not supported by the manufacturer"

You can only clear the (hidden) telnet flag by a firmware recovery and apparently this only works with the German version.

My 08.04.21 version FBFW showed that unpleasant message and it wouldn't disappear until I recovered to 08.04.15 (German). After that I could easily convert to 08.04.21 Annex-A (English) using the FTP method described in post #167 earlier in this thread.

Obviously they haven't built in an FTP alarm yet ;-)

To Late guys, but thanks anyway.
I think i screw up my box. I try to recover with sirkubax way, and after past the sentence : echo "firmware_version avme" > /proc/avalanche/env, box not died,So i try to recover and Recover exe, says could not determin version..., even the annex B recover.
Now my box has all lights blinking. Can not telnet nor web. Sorry Arnvet, you was maybe rigth, but some how i was not confortable usin your way.

Try the FTP way (post #167) and see if you can change some settings. If that works you can revive the box with any recovery method.

Good luck!

Telefonicus

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
valterroque schrieb:
Sorry Arnvet, you was maybe rigth, but some how i was not confortable usin your way.

I forgot to mention that after changing firmware_version to avme and rebooting the website doesn't come up (edited my post) and you should change the symlink.
However, that shouldn't explain why all your leds started flashing. I had the same if I tried to upgrade with the annex A english firmware. The funny thing was my wireless didn't work, but my lan ports did, work, so i could just change the firmware again (despite all the leds flashing).

I'm a linux guy, i allways prefer the cli method, people not feeling comfortable with that could allways use the annexA scripts on this forum, but it's in my nature to prefer the DIY method instead of 3rd party scripts

telefonicus schrieb:
Connect your PC to the Fritzbox via the Ethernet (LAN cable) and set the IP address of your PC to 192.168.178.XXX, the IP mask to 255.255.255.0 and the IP interface to 192.168.178.1 (if it doesn't work after several trials try 192.168.178.2)

Hello Telefonicus,
I will try to use your solution, but remember i am a user, not an expert on computers, expecialy on comands. to change the ip address and the ip mask i think i can manage on control panel, but i have no clue how to set the ip interface:confused:
Can you please guide me:(
Thanks

Hehehe... I go celebrate. I´got it. I sucessfully converted to AnnexA 14.04.20.
What I did? Not sure, but take to another Pc, just plug the red cable without the power on. Plug power just when recover asked.
At first gave me some partion error. Retry again, and this time was sucessfull.

Dns problem

I acted as described in #167 from telefonicus (thanks, by the way). Everything went fine, the fritzbox 7050 speaks english (much better then I do).

But I have now a DNS-problem. There is no resolving when I use the fritzbox as router, dhcp-server, gateway and dns-server. Of course I can use the dns-server of my provider, but I want to have everything "automatically" setup, using the fritzbox as dhcp-server.

What is possibly going wrong?

modifications not supported

And another "problem", which I didn 't see before, I don 't know if this message was already there from the beginning of the conversion to international or if it appeared later:

System

FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 Annex A, Firmware version 14.04.20
The modifications to your FRITZ!Box are not supported by the manufacturer.
More information.

Clicking on "More information" gives following window:

Firmware Not Released by AVM

FRITZ!Box is currently being operated with a firmware version that was not released by AVM, or the configuration may have been changed in a manner not foreseen by the manufacturer (e.g., telnet). Under these circumstances, AVM cannot guarantee that your FRITZ!Box will work correctly.

You have the possibility of restoring the condition of the device upon delivery. To do this, start the Recover program on your FRITZ!Box CD (\Software\X_Misc.)

After the factory settings are restored, your FRITZ!Box again will be eligible for complete AVM support.

Does anyone else has had this message? I don 't know how the Fritzbox could detect any modifications, I don 't have any trouble using it, except for the DNS-resolving.

MfG

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
This message is shown if you have ever accessed the box via telnet. I managed to get rid of it by recovering to the latest (.15) Annex-B German version and then converting again to Annex-A English using the FTP method described in post #167 earlier in this thread.

Lacking DNS resolution is a bug in recent firmware versions. Use the DNS servers of your ISP.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.