fritz box 7170 dead

sabcat

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Hi everybody,

sorry, i don't speak germain but i need help.

I have a fritz box 7170 annex A and before converting to annex B i wanted it to reset, also because i was not able to connect by webbrowser. It's the first time i have a Fritz box so i was looking for the reset button and i have found something on the right side of the antenna. i pressed it and from that moment the box is died, only the 'info' led is flashing.
I don't have the red cable with me.

Could you help me?

Hi and Welcome! :)

Do you have a manual for the 7170, english Version...
There you can read, that you need the default IP-Adress 192.168.178.1/255.255.255.0 or 169.254.1.1/255.255.0.0 for the Box and for your PC an IP in that area.

That small button got to be the WLAN on/off Switch.

To reset, just disconnect the power cord and reconnect a couple seconds later...

Bye, Jojo

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi doc, yes i have an english manual and asked for help of this community after trying also what you have described before: no answer from the box. Could be the missing red cable the problem?

sabcat

The red cable is just a normal LAN cable, nothing special.

The red cable's advantage is that it's short. Sometimes the recovery software won't find the Fritzbox through a long cable.

From what you wrote I supposed you've got the international model (that's why I suggested to resell it as it is more expensive than the German model).

If only the info LED is blinking and you can't get access to your Fritzbox it has probably suffered a software (or configuration) accident which may require a recovery. To sort out your situation and to determine which recovery software is appropriate please answer a few questions:

Is it an international model at all? Or did you buy a converted German model (on Ebay)? What is the Artikel-Nr. or Part-No. on the label (starts with 2000)?

Did you get it in this state? Did you or someone else try to change the language and/or Annex settings? Do you have any idea about the actual firmware version? 58.04.xx or 29.0x.xx?

Please let us know and we'll be glad to help you.

best regards,
Telonius

It's an international, originally annex A model bought in Italy. Part-No.: 2000 2387
No one touched the original settings and it was working perfectly (just did'nt connect to the internet) until i tried to reset manually before changing it to annex B. But i didn't do anything special, just pushed the above mentioned WLAN button. Do you have any idea what happened and how could i recover it?

Thank you

try to recover using the appropriate recover.exe. Not sure what this got to be an international Annex A or international Annex B version, guess you'd have to try both

I tried to recover it, the result is:

Version successfully detected!
Hardware: FRITZBox Fon WLAN 7170 (Annex A)
Bootstrap: 0
Firmware:
127.1.1.0 firmware is incompatible with the recovery firmware

-----------------------
Error: "incompatible memory layout"

What can i do now?

Part-No.: 2000 2387 is an international model, otherwise it would read Artikel-Nr.: 2000 nnnn. You'll need the FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7170.AnnexA.en.04.57.recover-image.exe

After successfull recovery update with fritz_as_annex_b_kernel_args_newer.tar.

Ignore warnings / error messages and click on continue / restart.

Good luck!
Telonius

I assume you have a Windows-XP PC. If not, ask a friend.

Connect your PC to the Fritzbox via the Ethernet (LAN cable) and set the IP address of your PC's LAN adapter to 192.168.178.XXX (XXX between 003 and 253), the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway interface to 192.168.178.1 (if it doesn't work after several trials try 192.168.178.2)
IMPORTANT:
*Set your LAN adapter to 10 Mbit/s Half Duplex EDIT: (only if automatic rate negotiation doesn't work).
*Make sure your LAN adapter has a fixed IP address, e.g. 192.168.178.10
*Disable any IP-filtering or firewall
*Diasble any other LAN adapters
*Make sure you are accessing the LAN directly (not through an application software)
*Use a short LAN cable! AVM recommends to use the red LAN cable for firmware updates/recoveries.

Start the recovery program first hand and follow the instructions (this first time only). It will probably fail again but it will establish a steady connection to the bootloader. do not disconnect the power supply after the recovery attempt!

If a warning pops up like 'Mediasensing is enabled on your PC' please stop the recovery program (answer 'NO' to the prompt) and look here

Open a "COMMAND" console window (aka "DOS window") and enter the following instruction:

Now enter the following commands (you can copy and paste all the lines at once. Use the right-hand mouse button to paste. Enter the whole batch of commands in one step, including the login sequence and the bye command):

ftp 192.168.178.1
adam2
adam2
quote GETENV HWRevision
quote GETENV ProductID
quote GETENV annex
quote GETENV firmware_version
quote GETENV firmware_info
quote GETENV bootloaderVersion
quote GETENV urlader-version
quote GETENV prompt
bye

If the Fritzbox does not react to the ftp command enter CTRL-C to cancel it and try again.

Then post your results.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Here you are:

C:\>ftp 192.168.178.1
Connesso a 192.168.178.1.
220 ADAM2 FTP Server ready
Utente (192.168.178.1:(none)): adam2
331 Password required for adam2
Password:
230 User adam2 successfully logged in
ftp> quote GETENV HWRevision
HWRevision 127.1.1.0

200 GETENV command successful
ftp> quote GETENV ProductID
ProductID Fritz_Box_7170_AnnexA

ftp> quote GETENV annex
501 environment variable not set
ftp> quote GETENV firmware_version
ftp> quote GETENV firmware_info
ftp> quote GETENV bootloaderVersion
ftp> quote GETENV urlader-version
ftp> quote GETENV prompt
ftp> bye
221 Thank you for using the FTP service on ADAM2

C:\>

Thanks a lot

strange...

Something or someone must have wiped your environment variables. It should have looked like this:

HWRevision 127.1.1.0

ftp> quote GETENV annex
annex A

firmware_version avme

firmware_info 58.04.57

bootloaderVersion 1.309

urlader-version 1309

Fortunately the bootloader is still working. You can set the variables yourself:

ftp 192.168.178.1
adam2
adam2
quote SETENV firmware_version avme
quote SETENV annex A
quote SETENV urlader-version 0000
quote SETENV bootloaderVersion 0.000
quote SETENV firmware_info 58.04.30
quote GETENV HWRevision
quote GETENV ProductID
quote GETENV annex
bye

Then start the recovery again. It can take 5 minutes or more. Once the Fritzbox is successfully recovered it will start up and you can set the modem standard to Annex B with the pseudo image fritz_as_annex_b_kernel_args_newer.tar (see above).

Good luck!

ps
If your bootloader doesn't accept the quote SETENV commands there's a chance you've got a firmware revision below 58.04.29. Then replace the spaces between variable name and value by a comma, e. g. quote SETENV annex,A

something doesn't work

Password:
ftp> quote SETENV firmware_version avme
200 SETENV command successful
ftp> quote SETENV annex A
ftp> quote SETENV urlader-version 0000
ftp> quote SETENV bootloaderVersion 0.000
ftp> quote SETENV firmware_info 58.04.30
HWRevision 127.1.1.0

ftp> quote GETENV annex
urlader-version 0000

bootloaderVersion 0.000

ftp> bye

What else could i do?

... What else could i do?
Hi, sabcat!

With Telefonicus you do have a very good coach, so you don't need my help.
But your problem seems quite astonishing to me, thus I will comment it shortly, until Telefonicus will be back.

You did use the "quote GETENV" commands correctly and the system answered "successful"
But when you asked to confirm with "quote GETENV", the system says "environment variable not set"
This strange behavior happens with the parameters "firmware_version", "annex" and "firmware_info". The 7170 doesn't accept your input!
Other parameters were accepted correctly, e.g. "ProductID", "urlader-version" and "bootloaderVersion". Why these and no others ???

I modified many FritzBoxes in the past, but I never had this problem! I don't know the reason!
The only suggestion I can give you is to type in the "quote SETENV" commands step by step. I mean as follows:

the answer should be "200 SETENV command successful"
the answer should be "firmware_version avme"

and so on with the other parameters ...

If it doesn't work, I have no other idea. In that case I must suppose that your 7170 suffers from a hardware problem ...

Hi el_valiente, thank you for the advice.

I tried it, but the "result" is the same, my box doesn't work. :(

My husband suggested me often to work for the big software and hardware house as a tester because "i have the plague in the hands" what means anything i touch it's sure that i take out all their defects, also the more hided ones. :(

Beh, does it mean that my fritz box is definitely dead?

Hi, sabcat!

With Telefonicus you do have a very good coach, so you don't need my help.
But your problem seems quite astonishing to me, thus I will comment it shortly, until Telefonicus will be back.

You did use the "quote GETENV" commands correctly and the system answered "successful"
But when you asked to confirm with "quote GETENV", the system says "environment variable not set"
This strange behavior happens with the parameters "firmware_version", "annex" and "firmware_info". The 7170 doesn't accept your input!
Other parameters were accepted correctly, e.g. "ProductID", "urlader-version" and "bootloaderVersion". Why these and no others ???

I modified many FritzBoxes in the past, but I never had this problem! I don't know the reason!
The only suggestion I can give you is to type in the "quote SETENV" commands step by step. I mean as follows:

the answer should be "200 SETENV command successful"
the answer should be "firmware_version avme"

and so on with the other parameters ...

If it doesn't work, I have no other idea. In that case I must suppose that your 7170 suffers from a hardware problem ...

... Beh, does it mean that my fritz box is definitely dead?
Could be, I don't know. Let see how Telefonicus thinks about it ...

By the way: You better delete the full quote of my post. The Mods in this forum hate full quotes ...

Very strange indeed. What does the recovery program say?

Try again:
ftp 192.168.178.1
adam2
adam2
quote SETENV annex A
quote SETENV firmware_info 58.04.30
quote SETENV firmware_version avme
quote GETENV HWRevision
quote GETENV ProductID
quote GETENV annex
bye

If all doesn't work: install ncftp and copy your flash memory contents on hard disk.

Prepare the LAN connection like before (or simply don't disconnect the power) and enter the following ncftp commands:

open <a dialog box will pop up; click on EDIT and enter 192.168.178.1, adam2, adam2 etc.>
debug
binary
quote MEDIA FLSH
quote PASV
get -z mtd2 bootloader.bin
get -z mtd3 mtd3.bin
get -z mtd4 mtd4.bin
bye

After each get command something like this should appear:

mtd2.bin: 64.00 kB 98.31 kB/s

If the copy process takes longer than, say 30 seconds you can safely abort it with CTRL-C. Try to continue with the next get command. If that doesn't work you must start a new session (open). Use the command history function (arrow up).

Then zip the binary files and and append them to your post for inspection.

Good luck!
Telonius

ps
Disclaimer: I'm writing this without the possibility to test it myself right now. Can someone check my ncftp commands please?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
some command not correct:

Password:
ftp> debug
Debug di On in corso...
ftp> binary
---> TYPE I
200 Type set to BINARY
ftp> quote MEDIA FLSH
---> MEDIA FLSH
200 Media set to MEDIA_FLASH
ftp> quote PASV
---> PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,178,1,5,243)
ftp> get -z mtd2 bootloader.bin
---> PORT 192,168,178,10,195,64
502 Command not implemented
---> RETR -z
501 unknown variable -z
ftp> get -z mtd2 bootloader.bin
---> RETR -z
501 unknown variable -z
ftp> get -z mtd3 mtd3.bin
---> RETR -z
501 unknown variable -z
ftp> get -z mtd4 mtd4.bin
---> RETR -z
501 unknown variable -z
ftp> bye
---> QUIT
221 Thank you for using the FTP service on ADAM2

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.