Fritzbox 7390 - No Wan IP-address

Silenceofdk

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Tags: Fritzbox, 7390, VDSL, No Internet

As promised here is the solution - SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM - READ BELOW

Symptoms/Problem:
- You have a VDSL connection from you ISP, either via Annex A or Annex B
- The router from your ISP works flawlessly and connects without problems, yet your Fritzbox 7390 doesn't.
- DSL sync works fine - The Fritz can connect to the DSL exchange and you can see the available speed but you cannot connect to the Internet.
- No IP-Address is pulled/given - The Fritzbox cannot connect to the Internet.

What is the problem?
I am by no means a Network expert, but apparantly VDSL needs a VLAN id, in order to know where the "datastream" should be sent and received, and if this isn't sent the Fritzbox sends on a default id, which most likely is wrong.
Currently the Fritzbox 7390 International Edition firmware doesn't include a option to specify VLAN ID in the Web GUI. But we hope for this to be included in a later firmware.

Required tools:
For this to work you'll need FBEditor - The good thing about the FBEditor is that it changes the Checksum of the Fritzbox configuration file this allowing it to put changes back into the Fritzbox.
FBEditor can be downloaded here or directly from IP-Phone
Note: You can also use the Export function of the Fritzbox and save the configuration to a file and then edit with a editor such as Notepad++ - If you do this add "NoCheck = yes;" just above the line "**** CFGFILE:ar7.cfg". After editing restore the file via the web gui.

Solution:
Give the Fritzbox the Vlan ID it needs.

1) Start up FB-Editer and in "Datei" choose "Konfiguration Einlesen"(Means Read configuration)
2) Scroll down to "dslifaces" part and look for "pppoevlanauto" and "pppoevlanauto_startwithvlan" - Change both values to "yes" without quotation marks.
3) Add a section called "vlancfg" - So you config should look like the following

pppoevlanauto = yes;
pppoevlanauto_startwithvlan = yes;
vlancfg {
vlanencap = vlanencap_class_prio;
vlanid = 101;
vlanprio = 0;
}
ppptarget = "internet"
4) "vlanid = 101" is my VLAN id - Find out yours and edit it in.
5) In the FB editor choose "Datei" -> "Konfugration Zuruckspielen"(Means Put data back)
6) Let the Fritzbox restart - And you should have Internet. If not check the Extra tips/FAQ

Extra tips/FAQ

Q: What is my Vlan ID?
A: I have no way of knowing :) Your best bet is to contact your ISP and ask them, of find the Information in your current router. There is most likely a place where you can see the VPI/VCI settings. For my own Netgear VVG2200 from my ISP the information is listed in "ADSL Basic settings".
In Denmark is seems that the VCI and VLAN id are usually the same. Thus for Fullrate Denmark the Vlan ID would be "33" if you are on a central with their equipment, and on a TDC central the Vlan ID is "101"
A more technical and hard way is to read the information sent by the ISP router via whiteshark

Q: I still can't connect to the Internet/I still don't get a IP-address
A: Your ISP might only allow their own equipment on their lines and thus not give your Fritzbox an IP address - Solution: Spoof the MAC Address of the ISP router.

How to change MAC-Address of the Fritzbox 7390:
1) Start up FB-Editer and in "Datei" choose "Konfiguration Einlesen"(Means Read configuration)
2) Scroll down to "ar7cfg" part and look for "enable_mac_override".
3) "enable_mac_override" should be set to "yes" without quatation marks.
4) Below "enable_mac_override" there should be a line called "macdsl_override = 00:00:00:00:00;" change it to the MAC address of the ISP router(Can usually be found on the backside of it or via the router's Web GUI)
5) In the FB editor choose "Datei" -> "Konfugration Zuruckspielen"(Means Put data back)

Q: I use Telenor Internet and need to set the DNS servers manually
A: An age old problem that still needs to be addressed so you can set it in the WebGUI.

How to manually enter DNS servers into the Fritzbox 7390:
2) Scroll down to "ar7cfg" part and look for "overwrite_dns1".
3) "overwrite_dns1" should be set to the DNS server 1, and "overwrite_dns2" to the IP of the second DNS server.
4) "overwrite_dns1" and "overwrite_dns2" appear two times in the file. Edit both locations to your desired DNS servers.

Q: This does not work with ISP XX
A: I unfortunately cannot test with other ISP's. My best bet is that you try changing the VLAN encapsulation. I.e. change the "vlanencap = vlanencap_fixed_prio;" to something else.
The available encapsulation methods are:
- vlanencap_none
- vlanencap_fixed_prio
- vlanencap_class_prio
- vlanencap_tcom

SilenceofDK

---------------------------- Orginal post, kept for historik purposes ----------------------------

Hello,

I'm from Denmark, which is why my german is really bad - All I learned was from RTL 15 years ago, watching cartoons as a kid :D I therefore hope it's okay that I write in English.

You may reply in german if you want(Google translate ftw)

The reason I write here is that I can get no answers on the Danish forums, and it seems people here know a lot more abiout the Fritzbox 7390 than anywhere else.

I hope this is okay with the admins.

*** Problem ***
I can’t get a WAN IP-address for my Fritzbox no matter what I try.

DSL sync is perfect - Connects and tells me I have a 10/1 mbit connection, and signal/noise ratio is fine. After this nothing happens.

I tried changing my Fritzbox 7390 MAC-address to the one from my ISP, yet I can conclude that despite the Fritzbox having the exact same Mac-address as the Router from my ISP, the Fritzbox still doesn't get a IP, while the router from my ISP connects immediately(A Netgear VVG2200).
I have managed to spoof my MAC-address via Telnet, yet the fritzbox never gets an IP-address, despite being able to connect to the DSL central and seeing my available speed.

It is therefore my conclusion that something in the Fritzbox must be at fault when it comes to VDSL2(Someone else is using the 7390 on a ADSL2 without problems with the same ISP and same setup details), but my VDSL2 connection with my ISP won’t work even though I spoof Mac-addresses. I have also tried getting the “real” MAC-address of the Fritzbox and to get it bound to an IP-address at my ISP but this doesn’t help either, the Fritz doesn’t get the IP and thus never connects to the Internet. DSL training happens without problems, but after that nothing, and the logs show nothing.

My ISP says they can not see that the Fritz is requesting a IP-address.

*** My fritzbox setup details ***
Direct connection from the socket in the wall into the Fritzbox.

Advanced Settings -> Internet -> Account Information
* Internet connection via DSL
* Use one Internet connection for all computers (router)
* No account information required (in accordance with RFC 1483/RFC2684)
VCI: 0
VPI: 101
[Checked]Bridged (Routed Bridge Encapsulation)
[Checked]Obtain the IP address automatically (DHCP)
DHCP host name: fritz.fonwlan.box

***Details about ISP Network structure***
Fullrates network is structured so that the router on the WAN side is assigned an IP address via DHCP, which binds to its MAC address. Thus, the fixed IP address that is not change, unless the equipment is changed.

ISP WAN information:
  • Type: VDSL2 Annex A
  • IP-ranges: 90.184.0.0-90.185.255.255
  • VPI/VCI (Virtual Path Identifier og Virtual Channel Identifier)- 0/33 or 0/101
  • Encapsulation: ENET ENCAP
  • Multiplexing: LLC

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Evtl. hast Du nicht die richtige MAC-Adresse der Box. Schau dir mal die Ausgabe von "cat /var/env" an.

Evtl. hast Du nicht die richtige MAC-Adresse der Box. Schau dir mal die Ausgabe von "cat /var/env" an.

The Mac address is correct - I checked the Netgear router's labels and inside the Web-gui of the netgear and asked my ISP.

In the fritzbox I changed the Mac-address via Telnet - E.g. Telnet to Fritz -> "cd /var/flash/" -> "nvi ar7.cfg -> "macdsl_override = Netgear Mac-address". -> Write -> Quit -> Reboot

In the Webgui of the Fritzbox it shows the Mac address I changed too via telnet. Before change the webgui says "bc:05:43:3f:22:0e" after change it says "00:26:f2:64:bd:8d"

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I have no switch. And since my ISP router works flawlessly with the same MAC, the problem must be somewhere in the 7390.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi,

now i understand! You connected the Box not directly to the VDSL-Line, but to the ISP-Router, wich is at the Line, right?

I'm sorry if it's been unclear

Netgear router = Router from Isp(It's shit I want to throw it out)

Telephone plug in Wall -> Netgear router -> Computer = Internet Works - Ip gets assigned.
Telephone plug in Wall -> Fritzbox(MAC spoofing) -> Computer = Internet does not work, Fritzbox doesn't get a IP even with the same MAC address as the Netgear router

The Fritzbox is connected directly to the VDSL line, but it does not get a IP-address.

Is your FB 7390 a German Box or an International Box? Since your provider has Type: VDSL2 Annex A, it should be an International Box with the correct firmware.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
It's a "FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390 International Edition" and the firmware is version 84.04.83(This is the newest firmware for Internation edition).

Sorry, I have no clue what it could be. If nobody else has the right idea, you should use your netgear as a modem and connect the 7390 with LAN 1.

I still have a clue, but I don't know if it will help you. VDSL uses VLAN tagging to differentiate between the data streams. You are most probably using the wrong VLAN ID. Do you know which VLAN ID you have to use? If not, you have to trace the data during a successful setup with your other modem to find out the correct value.
A (rather long) thread in this forum will go into more detail: Vodafone VDSL und Fritzbox 7390 - keine Verbindung!

I still have a clue, but I don't know if it will help you. VDSL uses VLAN tagging to differentiate between the data streams. You are most probably using the wrong VLAN ID. Do you know which VLAN ID you have to use? If not, you have to trace the data during a successful setup with your other modem to find out the correct value.
A (rather long) thread in this forum will go into more detail: Vodafone VDSL und Fritzbox 7390 - keine Verbindung!

A VERY good try indeed - But it doesn't really work for me for some reason, yet I do think this is the problem :(

My Vlanid = 101(According to my netgear router) - Yet it seems the trick in there only works if your connection is Pppoe or PPPOA ?

My ISP requires NO user/password, so how do I make it use my special vlan id? And is it possible to grp Vlan id's?

I also found this in the config
tr069discover_vlancfg {
vlanencap = vlanencap_none;
vlanid = 0;
vlanprio = 0;
}

Do I maybe have to edit this to something else?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Solved! :D

Thank you @KunterBunter for leading me in the right direction. I couldn't use the thread a 100% but it certainly pushed me in the right direction and now it works! :D

I'll write the solution tmr :)

Solution post in the first post of the topic - And I've added some FAQ and other nice things for anyone having problems.

Enjoy :)

Some years later...

AVM has released code that permits adjusting the VLAN for VDSL F!Bs (7340/60/90) in the 05.24 image. But as of this penning, the eth0 cannot be split and a VLAN set on an ethn interface for IPTV (my ISP, KPN, uses VLAN 4).

Interestingly, AVM is an OEM to a daughter company of KPN and provides 7340s (international version). With little effort, AVM could capture much more VDSL modem market share in NL which could encourage adding additional development resources (we ALL benefit).

Neueste Beiträge

Statistik des Forums

Themen
Mitglieder
Neuestes Mitglied
#Kuddel#
Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.