iPerf on the 7390 (English)

PeterBash

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
I hope it is OK to post a question in English. If not then please advise where best to do so ;)

I have built Freetz and installed iPerf from the branch sf3978_packages onto my 7390 so that I can measure bandwidth from my router to any device on the network (gigabit ethernet).

However, iPerf is only reporting bandwidth of around 90Mbits/s. When I run Top on the 7390 I notice that iPerf is using 98% CPU as I am thinking that iPerf is limited by the CPU and is constraining the speed. Is this correct? Does it mean that iPerf is not useable on the 7390? Or more likely am I doing something wrong :(

Note that if I run iPerf on my PC and my NAS and measure speed over the router then I get a more expected bandwidth of ~600Mbits/sec.

Lastly, thanks to sf3970 and everyone for all the work on this.

Peter

Yes, it seems that iperf (with multithread support) is not enough lightweight for the FritzBox. Maybe we need to build iperf without multithread support. Please try with nuttcp, to measure the bandwidth. (click)

There is no difference between multi thread mode and single thread mode. Even if I run iperf with the single stream configuration, leading to a very high CPU utilization:
Code:
25540 20799 root     R     1312   2%  [B][COLOR=red]96%[/COLOR][/B] ./iperf-st -c 192.168.138.185 -i5 -t 200

Anhänge

• iperf-st.patch.txt
    3.7 KB · Aufrufe: 2
Also, nuttcp is also generating a very low bandwidth i.e. 86Mbits/sec, between my PC and 7390. Although the CPU is only 60% utilised versus 98% for iPerf!

PC -----------------------------------
C:\Users\Peter\My Apps\NutTCP>nuttcp -T60 192.168.0.1
614.4375 MB / 60.00 sec = 85.9024 Mbps 7 %TX 59 %RX

FRITZ --------------------------------
4620 1 root R 932 1% 60% nuttcp -S

Does this means that a 500MHz CPU is just not fast enough to process gigabit speeds as I expected to get much higher?

Do you know of an alternative way of setting up the Fritz!Box to act as a bandwidth monitoring server?

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

Does this means that a 500MHz CPU is just not fast enough to process gigabit speeds as I expected to get much higher?
Yes, I think so.
Do you know of an alternative way of setting up the Fritz!Box to act as a bandwidth monitoring server?
No. I think nuttcp is a good network performance measurement tool, because a nuttcp data transfer, is memory-to-memory (... and not: disk-to-disk or memory-to-disk).

Neueste Beiträge

Statistik des Forums

Themen
Mitglieder
Neuestes Mitglied
jack-mack
Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.