7390 as alien on 7340

Yes. Wonderful security with this build.

I'll work further on it this evening.

Hi Cuma

Thanks. However, can I suggest you forgot this one: (note the removed exclamation mark)

Code:
~/freetz-trunk$ diff -ru Config.in Config.in.OS6.2 
--- Config.in	2014-01-03 17:37:05.944691186 +0100
+++ Config.in.OS6.2	2014-01-03 17:20:27.524735700 +0100
@@ -1942,7 +1942,8 @@
 		default "FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7320.100.05.22.image"                   if FREETZ_TYPE_7320_7330 &&  FREETZ_TYPE_FIRMWARE_05_2X
 		default "FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7320.100.05.51.image"                   if FREETZ_TYPE_7320_7330 && !FREETZ_TYPE_FIRMWARE_05_2X
 		default "FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7340.en-de-es-it-fr.99.05.22.image"     if FREETZ_TYPE_7340_7390 &&  FREETZ_TYPE_FIRMWARE_05_2X
-		default "FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7340.en-de-es-it-fr.99.05.51.image"     if FREETZ_TYPE_7340_7390 && [COLOR="#FF0000"][B]![/B][/COLOR]FREETZ_TYPE_FIRMWARE_05_[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]2[/B][/COLOR]X
+		default "FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7340.en-de-es-it-fr.99.05.51.image"     if FREETZ_TYPE_7340_7390 &&  FREETZ_TYPE_FIRMWARE_05_5X
+		[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]default "FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7340.en-de-es-it-fr.99.06.01.image"     if FREETZ_TYPE_7340_7390 &&  FREETZ_TYPE_FIRMWARE_06_XX[/B][/COLOR]
 		default "FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7570_vDSL.en-de-fr.75.04.91.image"      if FREETZ_TYPE_7570_7270
 		default "Sinus_W_500V.27.04.27.image"                               if FREETZ_TYPE_W500V_7150
 		default "fritz.box_fon_wlan_7141.40.04.37.image"                    if FREETZ_TYPE_W501V

also, any idea where to look for the missing symbols problem? I already tried copying the .ko files from the .tk folder instead, but no help. Even when I select to not recompile kernel, it happens (and I get an extra warning about standard kernel only able to do 50 modules max)

Thanks

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Mind you, the build does throw this warning:

Code:
installing and stripping modules
  fuse.ko ......................   24.05 Kb 
  generating modules.dep
[COLOR="#B22222"][B]unresolved symbol mcfw_set_avm_pa_dev_info in file /lib/modules/2.6.28.10/kernel/drivers/dsld/kdsldmod.ko
unresolved symbol cpmac_fusiv_if_rx2 in file /lib/modules/2.6.28.10/kernel/fusiv_src/kernel/drivers/ethdriver/ethdriver_lkm.ko
unresolved symbol is_pid_wan in file /lib/modules/2.6.28.10/kernel/net/avm_pa/avm_pa_fusiv.ko
WARNING: Unresolved symbols detected, not all AVM-features may work.
No current sources by AVM? Error in kernel's .config?[/B][/COLOR]
  kernel modules installed: 82 entries in modules.dep and 82 .ko-files found.
  removing empty kernel module directories
    kernel/drivers/speedtest
installing packages
  syslogd-cgi-0.2.3 ............    3.13 Kb

Any idea's, let me know. In the mean time I'll hook up a ttl serial later to see if I can find more info myself.

Hmm, it trows the exact same warning if I build a 7390 avme image with no alien whatsoever. But if I build a German avm image, it builds clean.
So the problem is unrelated to the 7340 alien. It has to do with the international image.

Did anyone build/used any OS 6.01 international image yet? On any device?

PS: For reference, if I do not select "replace kernel" it also shows this warning, plus an additional one about the number of modules:
(again, this is without even any 7340 alien. Just the normal 7390 international.
Code:
unresolved symbol mcfw_set_avm_pa_dev_info in file /lib/modules/2.6.28.10/kernel/drivers/dsld/kdsldmod.ko
unresolved symbol cpmac_fusiv_if_rx2 in file /lib/modules/2.6.28.10/kernel/fusiv_src/kernel/drivers/ethdriver/ethdriver_lkm.ko
unresolved symbol is_pid_wan in file /lib/modules/2.6.28.10/kernel/net/avm_pa/avm_pa_fusiv.ko
No current sources by AVM? Error in kernel's .config?
  kernel modules installed: 82 entries in modules.dep and 82 .ko-files found.
[COLOR="#B22222"][B]WARNING: This kernel can only load 50 modules at the same time, try 'replace kernel'.[/B][/COLOR]
  removing empty kernel module directories
    kernel/drivers/speedtest

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Ok, since I am now quite sure the OS 6.01 english/international/avme itself is broken, I am going to patiently wait/hope for it to be fixed before I focus on any alien variant of it.

I suggest other 7340 users to do the same. Go back to the 7390 5.5x build, that worked without problems on the 7340 (since trunk 10881)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
That works :)

Box type
AVM firmware version
Language
en

Kernel version
2.6.28.10 (gcc version 4.6.4 (GCC) )

Freetz version
freetz-devel-11512

Creation date
05.01.2014 12:40:07

@cybermaus
I don't think that the AVM firmware is broken. But the 7390 sources by AVM don't match the international firmware versions. As long as you don't replace the kernel 7390 Alien (int) should work on the 7340. Did you try this already?

Regards
Oliver

Hi Olistudent.

Yes I did try without replace kernel. Both with 7390 alone, and with 7390-on-alien-7340. Still a problem.
Whats more, the OS5.5X is good, even if I do choose do replace kernel.

I realized the replace kernel and the missing sources may be the problem, because you mentioned it 6 months ago too. I was even surprised the replace kernel is now an option. But as stated, it happens both with and without replace kernel. Also, if I do not replace kernel, an extra warning shows up that the native kernel kan only hold 50 modules, and my build has 80 modules.

Maurits

SFPB schrieb:
Hello cybermaus,

I have some questions for you.
This is visible if you read the header of wlan_product.cfg file where two chips are declared for the 7390.
How many files have to be replaced?

I think the 5GHz n+a may even work now, but I cannot test.
Have you tested it lately?

Regards,
SFPB

No reason to use PM for this sort of question. It is not sensitive, and others are allowed to also read question and answer.

Anyway, no, I did not test the n+a function on the 7390-alien-7340. I simply do not have any 5G equipment to test.

As far as I can tell, the entire 7340 is functioning well on with the 7390 firmware (provided you stick to 5.5x), but I am not using: 5G WLAN, MyFritz, NAS, FHEIM or any of the other fancy stuff. I just want my Freetz to do VDSL, ETH, WLAN (2.4GHz), POTS, DECT, VOIP-SIP, FAX, OpenVPN, DynDNS, Dropbear.

Hi all.

After a year of non-activity, I again looked into alien compiling 7390 OS 6.xx on 7340 hardware

However, it seems AVM has still not released any OS 6 kernel sources for the international 7390 (nor in fact 7340). Only the German ones. Very disappointing.
So I am still running into an unresolved symbol in the ethernet module during link time. (and who knows how many functional incompatibilities, the fact things compile does not mean they will work). We still cannot "replace kernel".

Code:
  generating modules.dep
No current sources by AVM? Error in kernel's .config?
  kernel modules installed: 81 entries in modules.dep and 81 .ko-files found.
WARNING: This kernel can only load 50 modules at the same time, try 'replace kernel'.

So the latest feasible 7390 alien is still OS 5.5x.

I though I would just let people know. (though I guess I may be the only to actually run 7390 on 7340)
For me it is not such a problem. Latest native 7340 is 6.06, which compiles and runs nicely with Freetz, and it now does have features I was looking for when I first alien compiled 7390 onto 7340 (being fax support and trunking support) And running native 7340 is probably safer anyway.

PS: If you do also have the alien 7390 5.5x and go to native 7340 6.06, I advise not to save/restore Fritz config, but "import" the config (the from different model option). Some of the 7390 config files may not be compatible with the 7340 config files. Like for example the ethernet configuration, which is a switch on 7390 but two distinct chips on 7340.

Take care.

PS: one question to the real experts:

setting aside the 7340, I also compiled 7360v1 international.
And to my surprise that downloaded the german 7490 kernel sources : "Saving to: ‘dl/fw/7490_06.01-release_kernel.tar.xz’"

7360 is a completely different machine then 7390. Also it is international. What smart thing did you guys do to get those two to work? Can the same be done for 7340?

Alien working again !

Edit: Anyone who read below, ignore it, PEBCAK.
I failed to notice that when you reselect FritzOS version, it automatically deselects alien, so I ended up not building a normal build. Doh! :oops:
Not that it matters, I am probably the only one interested in this alien.

Hi all

because I believed the DSL firmware with the 6.20 has some important VDSL+vectoring improvements, I sat down to work on this again.
Originally I hoped to transplant the 7390 annex files to the 7340

To my pleasant surprise, the latest/current combination for alien hardware 7340/7390 simply compiled and linked without unknown symbol problems.
And upon loading it, it simply worked. I could not find any problems.

So: 7390 6.20 + alien 7340 (with 6.06 as latest firmware) and freetz 12933 simply works.

As stated, I found no errors, and even all the string mapping needed for get the WiFi screens clean were still correct.
Specifically tested: Dual Ethernet ports, Wifi 2.4G, DECT, VDSL2+vectoring, SIP

Not tested, but probably not working: Guest on LAN4 (there is no LAN4)
Not tested, maybe working WiFi on 5G (dual WiFi cannot work but that option is nicely removed from the UI)

Happy valentine!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
might be interested in alien 7390 on 7340

Edit: Anyone who read below, ignore it, PEBCAK.
I failed to notice that when you reselect FritzOS version, it automatically deselects alien, so I ended up not building a normal build. Doh! :oops:
Not that it matters, I am probably the only one interested in this alien.
Sorry for reviving this long inactive thread, but I might be interested... I tried to google for differences in firmware between 7340 and 7490 for FritzOS 6.06, but I mostly get results for hardware differences (and flames between xs4all users...) .

Thanks in advance!

Well, I am not sure about all the software differences. Its mostly the same, as long as you are on the same version.

In the past (v5.2 on 7340 and v5.5 on the 7390), I wanted the 7390 because of the sip trunking and fax send/receive that came in V5.5

Turns out sip trunking is a useless feature ( not a real trunk, just a wizard that creates multiple lines) and fax is now really dead (I still received some 4 years ago, which I why I thought wanted it 2 years ago just in case, but really, fax is now stone cold dead). And AVMN did bring out V6.06 for 7340, so both features (though useless to me) are there.

For me, now the only reason I would want 7390 onto the 7340 is to have the latest fixes. But we cannot, because we are missing a V6 kernel source for 7340, and the V5 kernel source does not want to work with the V6.20 7390 OS.

The 7340 is not well maintained anymore. The only reason they came out with 6.06 is because someone discovered a severe security bug, and they had to do a new build for all models.

Thanks for your elaborate reply, cybermaus!

Well, I am not sure about all the software differences. Its mostly the same, as long as you are on the same version

In the past (v5.2 on 7340 and v5.5 on the 7390), I wanted the 7390 because of the sip trunking and fax send/receive that came in V5.5.
Ah, I see.
Turns out sip trunking is a useless feature ( not a real trunk, just a wizard that creates multiple lines)
Indeed, fewer possibilities than I had hoped,
and fax is now really dead (I still received some 4 years ago, which I why I thought wanted it 2 years ago just in case, but really, fax is now stone cold dead).
I remember the one time in my life I used a fax as yesterday. It was 8 years, 9 months and 21 days ago, and... Ah, yes I get your point ;-)
And AVMN did bring out V6.06 for 7340, so both features (though useless to me) are there.
I actually run a 6.10 beta on my 7340, but it has problem keeping synchronisation on my vectored connection. XS4all advices downgrading to 6.06, but can't offer a way back to 6.10 in case it does not help. Do you know whether copying mtd3 and mtd4 as per http://www.wehavemorefun.de/fritzbox/Firmware-Wiederherstellung will give me a backup of this fritzOS 6.10 beta on my 7340?
For me, now the only reason I would want 7390 onto the 7340 is to have the latest fixes. But we cannot, because we are missing a V6 kernel source for 7340, and the V5 kernel source does not want to work with the V6.20 7390 OS.
The 7340 is not well maintained anymore. The only reason they came out with 6.06 is because someone discovered a severe security bug, and they had to do a new build for all models.
Yes, I remember that bug in the news; and indeed, there seems to be no news on 7340 since that last release.

I actually run a 6.10 beta on my 7340, but it has problem keeping synchronisation on my vectored connection. XS4all advices downgrading to 6.06, but can't offer a way back to 6.10 in case it does not help.

Well, if that your motivation: While it has been shown impossible to put 7390 onto 7340 without kernel source, I am 99% sure its possible to take the DSL firmware file from the 6.20 and put it into a 6.06 build of 7340. I do not have time to do that for you, but if you are handy with building yourself, I am quite sure it would be doable.

On my VDSL line 6.06 works quite well, but I am only 200 meters from the street-cabinet (only annoyance is it does not activate fast latency)
But my brother on 4500 meters needed 6.20 on his 7360 to get VDSL to sync. We did have to convince the provider (also XS4ALL) to try it, and indeed at first it did not work, but after going to 6.20 he went from 4Mbps (ADSL2+) to 7Mbps (V-VDSL).

---

Come to think of it: Unless if you need 2 analog phones or still a incoming analog line, your best solution is probably to request XS4ALL to swap the router with a 7360. That one is still being updated by AVM and XS4ALL provides them.

Well, if that your motivation: While it has been shown impossible to put 7390 onto 7340 without kernel source, I am 99% sure its possible to take the DSL firmware file from the 6.20 and put it into a 6.06 build of 7340.
I do not have time to do that for you, but if you are handy with building yourself, I am quite sure it would be doable.
Sorry for taking this thread off-track. I silently hoped to find myself compelled to start using Freetz. It is not yet a top priority, I am giving 6.06 a chance at the moment.
On my VDSL line 6.06 works quite well, but I am only 200 meters from the street-cabinet (only annoyance is it does not activate fast latency)
But my brother on 4500 meters needed 6.20 on his 7360 to get VDSL to sync. We did have to convince the provider (also XS4ALL) to try it, and indeed at first it did not work, but after going to 6.20 he went from 4Mbps (ADSL2+) to 7Mbps (V-VDSL).
I am better of than him; as long as there is a connection, it is speedy enough (while waiting for fiber...)
Come to think of it: Unless if you need 2 analog phones or still a incoming analog line, your best solution is probably to request XS4ALL to swap the router with a 7360. That one is still being updated by AVM and XS4ALL provides them.

The analog lines would not matter (I did not even spot that difference before), but an important drawback of the 7360 is the lack of a 5GHz radio for WIFI.

Thanks for all the info; if things won't get better, 6.06 with 6.20 firmware might still become worth persuing.

There is no way known to get a backup of the firmware. It is clearly stated in the link that MTD3/4 will save you the config of the fritzbox, not the firmware.
Ah yes, thanks. I misiterpreted the sentence and read "and" for the comma:
Empfehlung: Macht ein Backup! Dieses Backup, der ADAM2 Konfiguration kann euch und eure Box vor viel Arbeit retten. - telnet auf die Box - sichert mtd3 und mtd4
(wishfully) read as: "Dieses Backup und der ADAM2 Konfiguration kann euch und eure Box vor viel Arbeit retten"

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.