[Frage] Open source?

pvdv

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Hello,

So far I know is Freetz open source software. But it's a modification of AVM software, what's only for a part open.

When I use Freetz on my router, do I use then closed-source software or drivers from AVM?

Background: I am looking for an FOSS router. I work much with the Fritzbox because it comes for free from my ISP, so it would be nice when I could use the Fritzbox hardware.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

Freetz is an extension to the AVM firmware, so it uses all the AVM software.
It is possible to run only open source on an AVM box, but there would be no drivers for most of the hardware and you could get the same functionality from a 20€ router.

Hello Ralf,

Can you be a bit more specific about which hardware has missing OSS drivers?

My problem with a 20 euro router, is that I do not expect much from the hardware quality.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

You could also take a router for 40 Euro, or two for 20 and use one of them as a spare.

The details may vary a little between different models, but you should expect no DSL modem, no phone support and maybe no WLAN and USB. WLAN and USB might work for the newer models.

Hello Ralf,

On the openwrt site I see the fritzbox is using Lantic DSL modem, what should be supported with OSS software:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/soc/soc.lantiq

"there are FOSS drivers for Texas Instruments/Infineon/Lantiq Modems in these SoCs: soc.lantiq!"
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buyerguide

I am most interested in the support for the Fritzbox Fon Wlan 7360.

When I look in dmesg I see only "tainted" warnings about the LED and button module called "led_modul_Fritz_Box_HW183". Not sure a closed module always give a "tainted" warning in dmesg.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

When I look in dmesg I see only "tainted" warnings about the LED and button module called "led_modul_Fritz_Box_HW183". Not sure a closed module always give a "tainted" warning in dmesg.
Source code for these modules is available ... the closed source parts are the userland binaries/daemons to operate the modules.

Source code for these modules is available ... the closed source parts are the userland binaries/daemons to operate the modules.

Which closed binaries are importantant for DSL?
Are no alternatives available?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

Which closed binaries are importantant for DSL?
Are no alternatives available?
AVM has its own IP stack since many years (emerged from an early multi protocol routing stack from the 90's) and (afaik) everything regarding the WAN parts of AVM's firmware is using that stack.

I've no knowledge of OpenWRT's scope of support for the used SoC, but are the needed binary files to be loaded into the frontend processor (VRX208) really available as OSS ?

Or are they taken from an AVM image and the OpenWRT support is limited to the main processor (VRX288) ?

The latter case isn't an OSS solution in my opinion and I think, nobody outside AVM may tell you something about dependencies to other AVM drivers/binaries. If you want to use an AVM router without DSL and telephony support (see Ralf's answer above), you'd better take a device with comprehensive support from OpenWRT ... sell the 7360 and get a better suited device instead.

My first answer was only a hint, that you're looking for the wrong signs of support, if you search only the kernel modules. They are available as source code and so they're not the nub of matter.

My knowlegde of the current state of OpenWRT isn't good enough to point you in the right direction furthermore.

AVM has its own IP stack since many years (emerged from an early multi protocol routing stack from the 90's) and (afaik) everything regarding the WAN parts of AVM's firmware is using that stack.

I've no knowledge of OpenWRT's scope of support for the used SoC, but are the needed binary files to be loaded into the frontend processor (VRX208) really available as OSS ?

Or are they taken from an AVM image and the OpenWRT support is limited to the main processor (VRX288) ?

The latter case isn't an OSS solution in my opinion and I think, nobody outside AVM may tell you something about dependencies to other AVM drivers/binaries. If you want to use an AVM router without DSL and telephony support (see Ralf's answer above), you'd better take a device with comprehensive support from OpenWRT ... sell the 7360 and get a better suited device instead.

My first answer was only a hint, that you're looking for the wrong signs of support, if you search only the kernel modules. They are available as source code and so they're not the nub of matter.

My knowlegde of the current state of OpenWRT isn't good enough to point you in the right direction furthermore.

The Fritzbox is not supported in OpenWRT, but they give some information. About the used SoC they say: "we recently found the missing code bits inside the Netgear GPL drop for the Netgear VEVG2500 VEVG2500_v07.00.02_with_Toolchain_src.zip"
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/soc/soc.lantiq

I don't want to use dsld, because that's closed source.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

The Fritzbox is not supported in OpenWRT, but they give some information.
You've read the linked forum thread at openwrt.org too, haven't you ?

Where did you find a hint, that anybody had managed it to use a 7360 without AVM's firmware ?

Yes, dsld is closed source ... you may take it or leave it. If you want a full open source solution, take another device. The answer will not change ... sorry. ;)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
On the openwrt site I see the fritzbox is using Lantic DSL modem, what should be supported with OSS software:

There is no such thing as THE FritzBox, unless you refer to the ancient model without a number. There are many different models with different hardware.

The DSL Modem driver is a kernel module kdslmod that also does NAT, not to mention the actual firmware for the DSP. For both of those there is nor source from AVM.
For the older boxes, the ISDN and USB are handled by a Xilinx chip that is also programmed with a binary file without sources. Newer boxes may have an USB chip for which an open source drivers is available.

What functions would you like to use in your 7360?

There is no such thing as THE FritzBox, unless you refer to the ancient model without a number. There are many different models with different hardware.

The DSL Modem driver is a kernel module kdslmod that also does NAT, not to mention the actual firmware for the DSP. For both of those there is nor source from AVM.
For the older boxes, the ISDN and USB are handled by a Xilinx chip that is also programmed with a binary file without sources. Newer boxes may have an USB chip for which an open source drivers is available.

What functions would you like to use in your 7360?

I need at least the DSL function with annex A, and wifi.

Maybe kdsldmod can be replaced with another DSL driver?

In some cases I can live with closed firmware what's not running on the main processor, e.g. firmware for a wifi chip.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

Statistik des Forums

Themen
Mitglieder
Neuestes Mitglied
realbluethunder
Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.