area code/country code settings confusion...

Edward Velo

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
For each SIP provider, one can setup the area code/country code preferences in the Fritz!box. What exactly is the point of this?

1. to make national calls without entering the full 00496107......... number (so we can just dial 06107.... and the Fritz!box will dial 00496107.....)

2. to make local calls without entering the area code

3. to change the appearance of incoming call numbers (so the caller-ID would show 06107....... instead of 00496107.......)

And how exactly should they be used? I know it depends on the used SIP provider of course, but the explanation is not really clear to me... I entered my area code and my country code, but what is the difference between "user area code" ("Ortskennzahl verwenden") and "Keep National Direct Dialing (NDD) prefix" ("Ortskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten") ?

Who can explain the purpose of the four checkmarks clearly to me? :)

Also, I noticed that the German version has the option "Suffix für Internetrufnummern". This is not available in the English version. What is the purpose of this?

Thanks!

1, 2, and 3 are absolutly right.

The settings are as follows:

If you use a provider who does not ask for the country code for national calls (like Betamx group, sipgate etc.) I would recommand the following settings:

Ortskennzahl verwenden..............checkmark (Häkchen)
Geben Sie hier Ihre Ortskennzahl ein ...........your area code wihout 0
Geben Sie hier Ihren Ortskennzahl-Prefix ein .....................0
Ortskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten.........no checkmark

Landeskennzahl verwenden..........no checkmark
Geben Sie hier Ihre Landeskennzahl ein ........-
Geben Sie hier Ihren Landeskennzahl-Prefix ein.........-
Landeskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten............-

For providers who ask for the country code also for calls within the country, you can do the analog settings for "Landeskennzahlen verwenden"!

I also do not have the "Suffix for Internetrufnummern verwenden" in my Fritzbox Fon, so I can not answer this question!
Edit: But if it is the same like "Internetrufnummern für die Anmeldung verwenden", I assume, that this ia a feature to automatically use PC to PC calls if available!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Erpet schrieb:
1, 2, and 3 are absolutly right.
Thanks for your reply! But can you please explain me how "2" is working then? Does it check for absence of 0 in the beginning, and then assume it's a local call (so it will add country code + area code automatically in front, when a phonenumbers starts with 2 or a higher digit) ?

Erpet schrieb:
If you use a provider who does not ask for the country code for national calls (like Betamx group, sipgate etc.) I would recommand the following settings:
If Betamax doesn't need the country code, how does it know in what country I am? Does it check the settings on their website that I entered?

For my Betamax providers, I have setup checkmarks for both "Ortskennzahl verwenden" ("Use area code") and "Landeskennzahl verwenden" ("Use country code"), and no checkmarks for "Ortskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten" ("Keep National Direct Dialing prefix") and "Landeskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten ("Keep International Direct Dialing prefix"), and it also works?!

The whole concept of those 4 checksmarks is just not very clear to me at the moment :-( Especially the "Ortskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten" ("Keep National Direct Dialing prefix"); when would one use this? When it's on, it adds the 00 code, and when it's off it doesn't? But what is the difference then with "Ortskennzahl verwenden" ("Use area code"); that one also doesn't add the 00 when it's off?

Thanks...

Edward Velo schrieb:
Thanks for your reply! But can you please explain me how "2" is working then? Does it check for absence of 0 in the beginning, and then assume it's a local call (so it will add country code + area code automatically in front, when a phonenumbers starts with 2 or a higher digit) ?
Exactly! For all numbers with 1,2,3,....or 9 on the beginning it dials area code or if set that way, also country code. As far as I know, emergency numbers work also with area code.

If Betamax doesn't need the country code, how does it know in what country I am? Does it check the settings on their website that I entered?
No! But you should have entered under telephon /country settings, the country,where you are living in.
For my Betamax providers, I have setup checkmarks for both "Ortskennzahl verwenden" ("Use area code") and "Landeskennzahl verwenden" ("Use country code"), and no checkmarks for "Ortskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten" ("Keep National Direct Dialing prefix") and "Landeskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten ("Keep International Direct Dialing prefix"), and it also works?!
Why not? It is the second possibility I have recommanded in case your providers needs the country code. But it works also if he does not need it.
The whole concept of those 4 checksmarks is just not very clear to me at the moment :-( Especially the "Ortskennzahl-Prefix beibehalten" ("Keep National Direct Dialing prefix"); when would one use this? When it's on, it adds the 00 code, and when it's off it doesn't? But what is the difference then with "Ortskennzahl verwenden" ("Use area code"); that one also doesn't add the 00 when it's off?
I am not 100% sure, but if you set the checkmark for "country code beibehalten" I assume, that the box dials something like 004343 or 00430043 etc.

Erpet schrieb:
No! But you should have entered under telephon /country settings, the country,where you are living in.
In my International (English) Fritz!box, there is a setting Telephony/Regional Options where I can select the country. However, Belgium (where I live) is not in this list (it contains Netherlands, France, Spain, Hungary, Latvia, Austria, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany and Argentina). I wonder why they forgot their neighbouring country :-( So I have selected "Other Country" in that list. Maybe that is why I always have to select "use country code" in the SIP provider settings...

In my German Fritz!box there is no such country setting.

BTW, just wondering, do you also have a German version in Austria? Or is it the International version?

Erpet schrieb:
I am not 100% sure, but if you set the checkmark for "country code beibehalten" I assume, that the box dials something like 004343 or 00430043 etc.
Isn't there a structured way the checkboxes work? Like "this button adds 00 if....", "this button removes 0 if...", and so on?

It seems for most people this is "trial and error" until it works :-/

Edward Velo schrieb:
In my International (English) Fritz!box, there is a setting Telephony/Regional Options where I can select the country. However, Belgium (where I live) is not in this list (it contains Netherlands, France, Spain, Hungary, Latvia, Austria, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany and Argentina). I wonder why they forgot their neighbouring country :-( So I have selected "Other Country" in that list. Maybe that is why I always have to select "use country code" in the SIP provider settings...
May be, I dont know.
BTW, just wondering, do you also have a German version in Austria? Or is it the International version?
I have no German box but an Annex A version. I am not sure, if this is the international one.

Isn't there a structured way the checkboxes work? Like "this button adds 00 if....", "this button removes 0 if...", and so on?

It seems for most people this is "trial and error" until it works :-/
I dont think there is such a structure anywhere.

Erpet schrieb:
I have no German box but an Annex A version. I am not sure, if this is the international one.

So the language of the webinterface is English, for Fritz!boxes sold in Austria? You probably have the same countrycode list as me, then.

Edward Velo schrieb:
So the language of the webinterface is English, for Fritz!boxes sold in Austria? You probably have the same countrycode list as me, then.
No! The language of the webinterface is German. Also Switzerland is using Annex A.
I have the same country code list as you

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.