changeset 3651 - mdev: move to unstable?

poruid

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
The change by cinereous contains the comment:
mdev: move to unstable, cause it doesn't recognize any usb-devices on my 7170 an W900V

How strange, on the 7170 at my place MDEV handles the usb-devices, a hub and a memory key with a ext3 fs and a swap, very well. Uses of USB such as aura have never been tested by me, so I cannot tell.
Not that I really mind that MDEV is placed under unstable, but since - I assume - it may deter people from using it, the move may result in less testing and possiblities for the mdev package to develop properly.

So:
a) Do you have reports that suggest or show that mdev cannot handle USB devs at other installs as well?
b) Could you be a bit more specific, i.e. what type of devices do not work.

May I suggest that policy changes like moving a package to or from unstable are a bit more argumented or are discussed on the forum before.
I do really appreciate your efforts, such as augmenting mdev to support new hardware (mdev: add support for 7240), so please do not take offence in my comments.

McNetic mentioned, that mdev doesn't recognize different usb-devices on his 7170.

I built an Image for my 7170 for a test and he's right, nothing happens with 2 USB-Sticks and one 2,5" usb-hdd nor with my bluetooth-stick. Same result on my W900V, so I moved this to unstable.

I use r3503 - the last .70 based firmware that still works well with the Mac OSX util Fritz!Dial 1.3.1 - and as said before: mdev works for me.
So what could have changed since then that causes mdev not to work anymore? I presume that you have tested with a .76 based firmware, so it might possibly related to the firmware change ...

Naturally i testet it with .76 based firmwares. I don't know what had changed since the .70, but you're right, there we should look for the problem.

The mdev-package shoult be in "unstable" until there are some functional setups, cause i don't want beginners to use this...

A quick inspection of the revisions of the mdev sources learned that mdev hasn't changed for quite some time except for the recent addition of support for the 7240 in r3651.

So that leaves a change in the AVM firmware as probable cause. I cannot imagine that it has changed the hotplug interface that the kernel exposes. But what?

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.