Converting a German targeted Fritz!Box Fon Wlan to an International version

I came across a comment #482 in this thread that RecoverTool does not work properly for 7170 and its work in progress. I am wondering if anyone has managed to do conversion using telefonicus' trick with ADAM2?

I only want to give a short update on what I called "work in progress". I just posted in another thread some hints and links to conversion methods that work for the 7170 and that should be applicable to other models too.

Cheers,
Telefonicus

thanks opensoft for this amazing post.

Does anyone think I can buy a German Annex B FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7270 and convert it to a Annex A? I do have a Annex A FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 now and it has worked wonderfully well but I would like to have the USB host for my printer... any suggestions?

Thanks for all your comment:)

I only want to give a short update on what I called "work in progress". I just posted in another thread some hints and links to conversion methods that work for the 7170 and that should be applicable to other models too.

Cheers,
Telefonicus

Hi,
I bought FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7170 (UI), Firmware-Version 29.04.29 and I'd like to switch it to english version. I don't use DSL modem, but connect through cable modem with ethernet switch so I could stay with original Annex B if that will make update easier. Hovewer if switching to Annex A is easy I could do this too. Is it good choice to update to newest version FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7170.AnnexB.en.04.56.recover-image.exe ? If I update to this version will it be possible to switch back to german ? I've read that some images lack telnet support. I'd like to have optimal image which will not cause problems. Could you please describe in english complete solution for 7170 ? Solution at provided link is in german or italian and translation to english via web translator doesn't give result which I can really trust. I wouldn't like to damage my fritz box.
I tried to remove branding UI using script fritz_als_avm_new.tar but it didn't work. I uploaded it to Fritz as firmware update, Fritz box was blinking diodes and rebooted but firmware is still reported as UI. I'm not sure if I have to remove UI before I try to load new firmware ?

A few weeks ago I changed a German 7170 V1 (FW 29.04.49)-Annex B to en English 29.04.56 Annex A. It is not quite easy and bears some risks but is not too complicated - nevertheless I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT TO DO IT - unless you are not sufficiently able to understand the German menues. The reason: German FW have LOTS more of features and I think this will remain so also for future updates as AVM's products are destinated and thus designed and manufactured for the German market. Comparing German 7170 FW 04.57 with the English 04.56 (looks like little difference only) I can say from my own experience: Only if I do have very strong reasons to change to English FW I will do it again!

Conversion is no longer difficult or risky these days.

The bootloader must be set to avme to allow the English annex-B firmware, e.g. 29.04.56. The modem can be set to annex A anytime (independently from the bootloader setting) by means of the pseudoimage fritz_as_annex_a_kernel_args_newer.tar . The ADSL modem will stay with it's annex-A or B setting and this setting will even survive a recovery. But you must always update with annex B firmware since your bootloader is set to annex B.

If you got a German Fritzbox all you got to do is

1) set the branding to avme (quote SETENV firmware_version avme or use the avme pseudoimage) to allow the English firmware update/recovery
2) recover to the latest English annex-B Firmware
3) set the modem to annex A using the annex-A pseudoimage

EDIT 08.06.2008: minor edits for clarification.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Thanks telefonicus. Everything is working OK :) Now I have english version 29.04.56 annex B. At last I can underestand all options :) I was able to setup most options in german firmware, however I didn't underestand less obvious options.

7050 update advice 04.15 - 04.26?

I have a 7050 which is working fine on Annex A and version 14.04.15 but I would like to be able to set the time correctly (GMT/BST, not European time). I understand this option is included in version 14.04.26 English but is it also in the German version? I can't seem to find this info anywhere. I don't mind it being in German.

Would you recommend this upgrade, or even to .33? Or are there problems with later firmware upgrades? I know you can't convert back.

Also, would I need to convert back to Annex B before updating?

I would be grateful for advice as we now use voIP the whole time so don't want to do something that takes days to sort out!!

Edward

PS Thanks for advice below, I decided to 'take the plunge' and convert to English firmware (14.04.26), connection speed has increased from 3.5 to 7!! Time is automatically correct now, just a pity it wouldn't restore the settings (even with password) as it is now a 'different' box!! I followed the advice in #167 although got confused with Media Sensing and restarts so disconnected the power to the box!! Nearly dead but managed to recover it so all is now well.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Time Zone effectively is included only in English FW menu. If you want to continue to use German FW you will find a rather simple method to change time zone in #33 of my Thread " Wie Uhrzeit der FB DAUERHAFT umstellen (Zeitzone ändern)?" Use of "fritz box editor" is really simple and easy.
No need to convert back to Annex B before upgrading if your 7050 is ORIGINAL Annex B and you converted it later to use with Annex A.

You may update to the latest international version 14.04.26 and make your regional settings via the user interface. The German version doesn't have this option. This version uses Kernel 2.4 and os open for any updates below and above 14.04.29. Once you're above the .29 limit you got Kernel 2.6 which makes downgrades a bit more difficult.

The FritzBox Fon and the FritzBox Fon WLAN have recently seen the release of a (final?) English update to version xx.04.49 which includes the 'Seamless Rate Adaption' feature which might be useful in difficult ADSL coverage situations. I understand they're preparing a similar update for the 7050 so check their download site frequently.

You may also upgrade to 14.04.33 German (or 14.04.33 English which is just a translation that does not have the international interface, timezone etc.) and use the FritzBoxEditor (FBEditor-0.5.1) to change time zone and country. If you're not a heavy Java user you'll surely need an update to the latest Java Runtime Environment to run the editor. It's easy to install, however.

If you're happy with your current version you might as well stay with it and only make your changes with the FritzBoxEditor.

Good Luck!
Telefonicus

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I have a problem with converting Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7141 to Annex A.
I have to configure it for a person who is not able to do it by herself. I don't have DSL so it is even more complicated since I can't test if it is working.
Fritz!Box 7141 has firmware 40.04.57
I uploaded pseudo firmware fritz_as_annex_a_kernel_args_newer.tar
Currently after each reboot, Fritz!Box has in /proc/sys/urlader/environment settings:
annex B
kernel_args annex=A

I can switch annex B to annex A using:
echo "annex A" > /proc/sys/urlader/environment

The problem is that after each reboot there is again annex B

Even when both settengs are set to A, there is no information about annex on DSL-informationen page. Will they appear only when connected to DSL cable ?

So I have 2 questions:
1) Should Annex A work when both settings are set to A ?
2) Is it possible to set annex A setting permanent or at last put it in some kind of autostart which set it back after each reboot to annex A ?

You may also upgrade to 14.04.33 German (or 14.04.33 English which is just a translation that does not have the international interface, timezone etc.) and use the FritzBoxEditor (FBEditor-0.5.1) to change time zone and country. If you're not a heavy Java user you'll surely need an update to the latest Java Runtime Environment to run the editor. It's easy to install, however.
Take care Telefonicus, I have two Fon Wlans (one 7050), upgraded one with the German FW and left the other with the English version. With my fast (20Mb) ADSL connection the German version trains in at a much lower rate than the older English version. So I assume it is not "just" a translation.

@majki: I don't know the 7141 but have changed many different FB (FBF,FBFWLan,5050,7050,7150,7170) to annex A. Bootloader/Environment will always show annex B if the box is ORIGINALLY annex B - even if you changed successfully to annex A. "kernel_args annex A" indicates that the box's modem is working on annex A. What makes me wonder somewhat is your screenshot. Normally you get on "dsl informationen" the annex information as on this screenshot from a 7050 that was taken without dsl connection, only connected to my laptop by LAN cable:

Anhänge

• 7050-A.jpg
    7050-A.jpg
    98.6 KB · Aufrufe: 45
Take care Telefonicus, I have two Fon Wlans (one 7050), upgraded one with the German FW and left the other with the English version. With my fast (20Mb) ADSL connection the German version trains in at a much lower rate than the older English version. So I assume it is not "just" a translation.

It is just a translation of the 14.04.33. I know because I did it ;-)

Different ADSL2+ performance may depend on different codecs or on different parameter negotiation. Have you ever tried a firmware with what they call 'Seamless Rate Adaption'? I mean, with another Fritzbox model? Unfortunately it has not yet been released for the 7050 but it is expected to come. Watch out for something like 14.04.49...

Hi Telefonicus,
It is just a translation of the 14.04.33. I know because I did it ;-)
:confused: If it's just a translation then how come: I bought a Wlan from Ebay, flashed it to 08.04.34 (German/B with A patch) and it would train in at 11Mb. I then bought a Wlan 7050 from Ebay, flashed it to 14.04.26 (English/A) and it trains in at 15Mb. Now I use the German Wlan as a repeater.
Different ADSL2+ performance may depend on different codecs or on different parameter negotiation. Have you ever tried a firmware with what they call 'Seamless Rate Adaption'? I mean, with another Fritzbox model
I cannot get my Wlan 08.04.34 (German) to accept the 08.04.49 allthough I tried by all means. Didn't have the courage yet to downgrade the thing.:lamer:

No problem to flash the FBFWLan with (english) FW 08.4.49. Just did it yesterday as follows:

open ftp, user: adam2 - password: adam2

quote SETENV firmware_version avme
bye

RECOVER FW 08.04.49 (NOT the annex A version)

after successful recover upload "telefonicus" -Pseudo-Image "fritz_as_annex_a_kernel_args_newer.tar" to switch back to annex A

If you want to recover to fw 08.04.49english-annex A it should work if you register in ftp:

(answer will be: command successful)

quote SETENV annex A

(same answer)

bye

Recover with FW 08.04.49en annex A

Thanks again Telefonicus!
No problem to flash the FBFWLan with (english) FW 08.4.49. Just did it yesterday as follows:
open ftp, user: adam2 - password: adam2
bye
RECOVER FW 08.04.49 (NOT the annex A version)
Thanks, that worked!
If you want to recover to fw 08.04.49english-annex A it should work if you register in ftp: quote SETENV firmware_version avme; quote SETENV annex A; bye; Recover with FW 08.04.49en annex A
Didn't get that one to work,:confused: But anyway, doesn't matter since the Wlan runs on the .49 firmware now. :)
Further, at least I can conclude that the lower Wlan intrain values (vs. the 7050) are not due to the firmware but to the hardware. Even with the .49 (flashed to AnnexA) the intrainvalue stops at 12,6/0,816 Mb where my FBF7050 trains at 15.6/775 Mb. So I will stick with my 7050!

I never thought I would have this problem annex A/B with my German FritzBox fon Wlan 7050.

When I was living and using my FritzBox in Germany with 1&1, on the packaging it clearly states that I am allowed to use the product in EU countries, so I don't understand why they havent supported annex A for EU wide usage. I now live in the UK, and I am a little confused why I can use this in the EU, but its only for the German net.

I can cope with the German interface, but I will have to get my head around what I must exactly do to get Annex A working, must I compile my own Firmware with the kernel?

Also I know AVM brought out updates nearly every week to get rid of VOIP teething probs, how is the unit performing now?

Cheers, its great that you guys tollerate an English thread!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
smee, unfortunately the 7050 is the one that has been left behind by avm more than any other box. The latest German FW is 14.04.33. The latest English version is 14.04.26 Between both there is a tecnically big difference on the Linux kernel used (up to fw ....29 avm used for EVERY box kernel 2.4, for ....30 and up 2.6 is used - you can upgrade easily but downgrade is not imposible but not so far from that)
If your box actually is running on fw lower than ...30 you can switch your box to English FW 04.26 which is offering less options than the German 04.33 - but would be English.

Flashing ANNEX to A is very easy. You simply upload the "telefonicus"-archive "fritz_as_kernel_args_annex_a_newer.tar" http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?p=971638#post971638. It changes your box to Annex A - independent of all other paramaters and actual firmwares that remain unchanged.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
thank you imagomundi

I will carry on using this unit in German language then, it poses no problems, as I am familiar with its operation in Germany.

Could you tell me how I upload the "telefonicus"-archive, I registered here in 2006, understanding that I could mod the unit, but never bothered, because I was happpy with its features.
Do I need the software putty Telnet or something, I have only basic knowledge.

Smee

smee, 2 steps: first upgrade to fw 14.04.33 - after that do the same uploading the "telefonicus" archive I linked to in #518. Upload just as this archive would be a firmware. Do not worry about the box "saying" (in german) "this firmware is not authorized by AVM". Your answer: upload anyway. After uploading is finished you will get message ".....: kein Fehler". That means you were successful. Now reboot the box and wait a minute to open the interface again. Some times must give it more than one try to open interface or reboot by cutting off power and switch on again.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.