English/German help!

arctic_hobo

Neuer User
Mitglied seit
26 Sep 2007
Beiträge
5
Punkte für Reaktionen
0
Punkte
0
I'm very sorry to write this in English (I feel vey ignorant when many Germans speak English) but this seems to be the only place to get help with a Fritz Box.
I have an old B+O ISDN telephone that I'd always wanted to use, but in the UK ISDN lines are very expensive - so when I found out about the Fritz Box it seemed perfect.
Looking closer, it seemed that the Fritz Box 7170 was the only one that would let me use my ISDN telephone as well as acting as a DSL router for my PC. I am hoping to use it on VOIP, but being able to use the ISDN phone at all is all I need.
So I ordered it on Amazon, thinking that since I had an English manual from the AVM site, all would be OK. But the Fritz Box firmware is all in German! Without any German friends to translate for me, can anybody help me set it up?
My PC currently has a LAN connection to the internet through my university. I configure it by a proxy server - wwwcache.stir.ac.uk, on port 8080, with a username and password. I've configured software on my PC to access this with no problems. However, I now want to access this proxy server by the Fritz Box 7170, so I can also use my phone on VOIP. I'm sure this is quite easy, but I am clueless since it is all in German! Can anybody help me?

Many many thanks

Chris
 
Yes, thank you, but all the firmware is in German and I cannot work out which bits mean which!
 
You want to connect your FritzBox to the LAN of your University, acting as a router for your PC, is that right? (Or do you also have DSL, which you mentioned above?)
Using your FritzBox as a router at a LAN-interface is possible:
Einstellungen (settings) - Internet - Zugangsdaten (conection settings): Choose "Internetzugang über LAN 1" and "Internetverbindung selbst aufbauen". Then connect "LAN 1" with your University´s LAN-interface and "LAN 2-4" with your PCs. Your FritzBox works as a NAT-Router then.
But if you have to use a proxy to finally get into the internet, you have a serious problem: AVM doesn´t support this in the original firmware!
Or isn´t it a real proxy, but a PPPoE-Connection, a VPN or something like that, which you have to use? Or did I understand something completely wrong?
 
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
arctic_hobo schrieb:
My PC currently has a LAN connection to the internet through my university. I configure it by a proxy server - wwwcache.stir.ac.uk, on port 8080, with a username and password. I've configured software on my PC to access this with no problems. However, I now want to access this proxy server by the Fritz Box 7170, so I can also use my phone on VOIP. I'm sure this is quite easy, but I am clueless since it is all in German! Can anybody help me?
Do I understand you correctly, that every! data exchanged between your PC and the internet has to use the proxy on port 8080 which in addition also require password authentication ? This would mean, that you are also unable to use standard mail applications and only give you access to websites but no FTP, messangers that are not based on HTTP, you wouldnt even be able to send a ping command via a dos box - in this case you can forgett the Fritzbox for sure.
Another possibility, that you have installed a "University-connection-application" which allows you to use all kind of internet applications like email clients and this "University-connection-software" might tunnel every data to your proxy using outgoing port 8080 and pasword authentication while it lissens to any port "inside" your PC. Even if this "tunneling connection-software" might be available for Linux, it will for sure not run on the Linux based Fritzbox without great modifications.
But in this case you might be able to use a PC with 2 network adapters at you local site, where you can use one network adapter to connect it to the Fritzbox and configure the Fritzbox to use "Internetzugang über LAN 1"/Internet-connection using Lan-1port with settings to connect to that local PC and where the PC and you "University-tunneling-software" forward the Fritzbox data to port 8080 of the mentioned proxy server via the other network card.
 
As you can probably tell I don't know an awful lot about networks. Unfortunately the internet access is only http and https, although I am pretty sure that a VPN is used. If anybody can tell me how to check I can say for sure. I use "connection software" to connect the PC, but it isn't necessary, as for example I use the last.fm plugin, which when configured with the settings I mentioned, works fine. Other university users have used Skype on their PC before with those settings with no problems, although I realise my setup is different.
Am I right to think that the only way I can do it is to connect the Fritz Box to the PC and the PC to the network, and configure it that way? I only have one PC so I don't need to use it as a router, essentially I just want to be able to use my ISDN phone on VOIP.
Many thanks for all the advice so far :)
 
I have somehow managed to connect via the router now, with the LAN connected to LAN1 port on the Fritz and the PC connected to LAN2 port. It works as if the PC were connected to the LAN direct. However I can no longer connect to the Fritz Box, and presumably therefore cannot access the settings for the telephone. Can anybody help me further?
 
Unfortunately that does not work. Is there any way I can access the phone from the PC?
 
Most probably you have set your Fritz!Box to "Internetzugang via LAN" and "IP-Client" (instead of "NAT-Router mit PPPoE"). Now you can reach it only via its external IP-address. Find out, what address the router assigned to your Fritz!Box and try that adress.

Hope this helps
radio_junkie
 
Kostenlos!

Neueste Beiträge

Statistik des Forums

Themen
248,929
Beiträge
2,305,581
Mitglieder
378,654
Neuestes Mitglied
3cvx