Freetz - basic questions

JPAdie

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Hi

i've built successfully a custom image using friboli on a mac version of vmware. good so far.

i have tried to install the image using the firmware update utility in the FB interface. I cannot, however, find out whether the update has worked.

so ...

basic question 1: is there any way to tell whether the new image has taken? i can't find, eg, openvpn in the file structure through a telnet session.

basic question 2: assuming it does work, how do i access the packages that freetz has installed (eg the avm firewall web page).

regrettably i don't speak german well enough to guess even what to search for in this forum!

thanks as always
Justin

FB 7270. Fw 54.04.55
using the freetz package taken from the developer trunk this morning

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
1. If you can't find the new directories, the update didn't work. Also, if the web-interface looks exactly like before, the update didn't work.
2. If your update did work, you have a link in the web-interface for freetz. You can also access it directly on Port 81 of the box.

thankyou.

is there any way for me to debug _why_ the update did not work? the image was created without errors.

As you have telnet access, you can extract the firmware image with tar on the box and then call /var/install from the firmware image. You should get some messages, which may contain some hints. If everything seems well, look at /var/post_install, it is generated by /var/install. If that also seems well, the command "reboot" should case a reboot, thereby executing /var/post_install.

/var/post_install performs the actual update. If you just power off before a reboot, your firmware is unchanged.

thanks again.

i have tried that (wget to grab the file one to the server, run the ./install from the var folder and then run /var/post_install (yes - i should have just rebooted). the /var/post_install command caused a reboot and has also bricked the box! it is now unresponsive on telnet and web interfaces. however the wlan is still working!

i will investigate further tomorrow.

thanks
Justin

thanks again.

the machine is no longer a brick. so that's good...

the new image is still being rejected. i can't see why. i have been trying the manual install method and all the console messages seem consistent and OK.

I cannot use the push_firmware method as the installation of freetz is on a virtual stinkylinux box which is physically located in a different building and different subnet to the FB. if needs be i can change this but it seems to be a long shot!

could the issue be that i am trying to integrate the mods with the new firmware from avm (54.04.55) and there is some inconsistency? or alternatively is there any other debug information that i could obtain to help me work out what is wrong?

thanks
justin

So on my 7270 my first tries to flash Freetz also did neither work via the WebIF, nor vie push_firmware. This Image was build with StinkyLinux.
I don't know why, but after I set up a new VM with Ubuntu Gutsy, and built the Image on that VM, I was able to flash it via push_firmware, that worked for me.
Now the update vie WebIF also works on my Box.
Don't know if the reason of non-working was the Build-System or the way of flashing the image.
I hope my experiences can help you.
Greetings

thanks both of you

wurstfabrik are you willing to share your image so i can try it?

Sorry, JPAdie, thats a topic which has been often discussed here.
There are problems with the licenses, so it is not allowed here in the Board to share modified Images.

quite right. sorry not to be clear but i was talking about your build environment: the ubuntu VM. i've been trying to build the environment but it keeps having the equivalent of kernel panics.

I'm sorry, but since I flashed the first modded Firmware I deleted my VMware because I installed Ubuntu on my Harddisk and use it for my daily work.
So setting up the VMware was no problem here, I only downloaded the VMware Server and a Ubuntu Gutsy .iso and was able to install the System with few problems, e.g. I had to start the Setup in Secure Graphics Mode ...

ok. thanks anyway.

i've built a dedicated ubuntu box and have managed to create an image that updates ok.

but now, i can no longer telnet into the box. it's asking me for a login and password when they should not be needed !! has this changed? if so do you know what the defaults are?

thanks
Justin

telnet always asks for user/pass. Try root/freetz.

Greets Oliver

thanks Oliver.

My previous experiences with the Fritzbox were that i was never asked for a username and the password was always the same as the web interface. hence my confusion.

this thread is now resolved. Many thanks for all your collective help.

Neueste Beiträge

Statistik des Forums

Themen
Mitglieder
Neuestes Mitglied
AA-Idealbau
Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.