Fritzbox when DSL speed higher thatn pppoe contractual

jetxxx

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Hi Folks,
Sorry, I don't speak German - but I can read it with Google translate ... feel free ...

For short - I need help with the ar7cfg commands to do a rate limite/ traffic shaping between DSL/pmto and ppoe .
That is, when the BNG does NOT communicate the contractual BW on uplink, AND pppoe BW (90M/15M) is smaller than the bw negociated at the DSL line level (100/30 Mbps, etc)
This is to avoid packet drops by the BNG.

The context is below ....

Many thanks/ jet

=== CONTEXT ===
I am stuck with a problem linked to a Fritz/7590 when frontending DSL.
Version = 7.12 and the driver that comes with it (180.something).

What I observe:
(1) icmp packet drops when (laptop -->FB/pppoe/DSL -- Internet)
(2) it works correctly when I mark the ICMP traffic on "priority", rather than "default" - in the FB
(3) it works correctly when I ping the public address from outside (FB/pppoe/DSL <--> Internet host (AWS))
(4) it works correctly with a "WAN pppoe uplink", when the provider modem is doing DSL (laptop -->FB/pppoe2/LAN-->CPE/ppoe1/DSL -- Internet)
----
So all in all, my early conclusion is ... that the problem happens
*) between LAN-DSL, inside the Fbox,
*) somewhat linked to the queue "default" (so "icmp" is coincidental ... it just makes the drops more visible when I have a laptop behind)
*) Possibly due to speed mismatch between DSL (interface pmto speed = DSL line speed, 30Mbps) AND ppoe (what the BNG accepts (which is half - in my case 15Mbps)
Which I would like to test

The *possible* reason why the provider's CPE doesn't drop packets, is that they shape the traffic on the DSL link, to be conformant to pppoe settings.
BUTt I have no confirmation (it's a black box)
Looking at the Fritz diagnostics, I see this counter incrementing - but no other drops are visible - anywhere (qdisc/queues show no drops)
----
acname XXXX
0: RX bytes:1169162899 pkt error:0 discard:0 filtered:879 dropped:49
0: RX pkts:290934 unicast:290934 multicast:0 broadcast:0
0: TX bytes:2653254950 pkt error:0 discard:0 filtered:0 dropped:38587 <---- incrementing when icmp goes in "default" queue

NDiIPP

Aktives Mitglied
Punkte für Reaktionen
That is, when the BNG does NOT communicate the contractual BW on uplink, AND pppoe BW (90M/15M) is smaller than the bw negociated at the DSL line level (100/30 Mbps, etc)
In this case (the BNG doesn't transmit the real Data-Rate in the PPPoE-AuthAck, in Germany e.g. at O2 or Vodafone, 1&1 and Telekom transmit the real Data-Rate in the PPPoE-Auth-Ack and the Fritzbox uses these values) you can set (imo since FRITZ!OS 7.1x) the BNG Data Rate manually.

With a "German-Firmware":
Fritzbox Webinterface > Inhalt > FRITZ!Box Support > DSL-Leitungsgeschwindigkeit > Manuelle Anschlussrate aktivieren

With a International-Firmware and English language setting:
Fritzbox Webinterface > Contents > FRITZ!Box Support > DSL Line-Speed > Enable manual Connection-Rate (or something like that)

jetxxx

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Thanks for the answer ... indeed, this is what I would need ...

- I've searched the manual before/ could not find a single reference to manual setting
- if it's somewhere in the 7590 GUI menu - well, with the 7590 AND my DSL (provider) profile selected - there is no manual setting visible

I don't see the information on the links you posted - are these links on the AVM site?
https://en.avm.de/service/

Thanks

Duh ... I found it, the link is on the GUI of my Fritz.
I am going to try this out.

Sorry - Many thanks !

PeterPawn

IPPF-Urgestein
Punkte für Reaktionen
Here's a better explanation in English, how to locate the support page of a FRITZ!OS device:

This one has the correct picture, because the online help page in English still uses a picture of the german "menu footer".

Only as a note for the next (English preferring) reader.

jetxxx

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
[ Indeed - much better picture ... I believe the greyed-out color has put it outside even of my peripheral view, not even thinking there was an URL behind ... ]

One more Q, I haven't test it yet since I suppose DSL will resync - but, would it be possible the DSLAM does not allow an imposed (even lower) setting for the line speed?

Thanks

And another one - I am fighting this problem for 3-4 days not being able to explain the drops - so I got relatively familiar with the config lines :)

When I use the GUI, to change the DSL sync speed - does it change the default parameters in the sync_groups/or in dslglobal_config - and which one is affected?
I guess I can do a diff on the files tomorrow

-- Zusammenführung Doppelpost by stoney

Good morning -
for the record - thanks for the solution suggested - it works !

I wish I reached out to this forum a lot earlier ...

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:

3CX PBX - GRATIS
Linux / Win / Cloud

Statistik des Forums

Themen
Mitglieder
Neuestes Mitglied
mwolske