Is FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7270 better than 7050?

bjluv

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
I presently own a FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 and I am thinking to buy the new FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7270.

Could anyone tell what are the major improvements over the 7050?

I have been told if I attach a USB external drive to it at home, I can access the USB drive over the internet, lets say I am in another country. Is this a function available??

The major improvment of the 7270 is the faster WLan with 802.11n/300MBit/s, the included DECT-station for mobile phones and the USB-2.0Port.
Using a capable mobile phone as the AVM MT-D connected via DECT to the 7270 you can also establish high quality phone calls if the called device also support this feature (so only direct internet calls, most likly only if the called party uses the same Fritzbox and has a high quality phone).
The USB-Port might be available for external devices like a UMTS-stick. There was an information on an AVM side for beta-software, but this message was already removed a while ago. But a USB-stick can be used and shared as a network drive in your local network, or also via FTP-access from the internet. To access your Fritzbox FTP-server you need of course your IP address or you can configure a DynDNS-account that makes your box available via the same name even if the IP get changed (in Germany most ISP changes your IP once a day). The FTP-server is available from the internet, regardless of your location/country.
At least until now the USB-port of the 7270 is not faster than the USB1.0-port of a Fritzbox-7170, which also allows a connected drive to be shared as local network drive or via FTP over the internet.
The Fritzbox 7170 and 7270 have also included an answering machines (up to 6 independent configurations possible).
The 7170 has no DECT-station included and only 54MBit/s 802.11g WLan but if you search Ebay the box is sold about 60 Euro what is half the price of the 7270.

thank you for your response. I am about to buy the 7270 from some online stores and the cheapest I can see is 199euros. I must also add that I am in Finland so Annex A is what I am looking for.

The most important thing for me is the possibility to access my files when I am away from home - I move around quite much. I am going for the 7270 because of the strong WLAN eventhough the 7170 has got the USB port too.

Do you think I can get 7170 or 7270 Annex A from ebay? I did a search but couldn't find anything :(

Perhaps check ebay.de to search for a (german) Fritzbox. The 7270 is sold for about 120-150 Euro (Fritzbox 7170 about 50-70 Euro), most times these boxes come from the ISP 1&1 but beside the better look (black cover instead of the AVM red design) the boxes are identical. The Fritzboxes with 1&1 branding are pre-defnied only for United Internet (1&1, GMX etc.) services but using the option "different provider" (or something like that) will give you the option to use the box with any other ISP or SIP-service. You can also switch the branding from 1&1 to AVM easy if you like to but technically that is not required.
I am not really familiar with the Annex-thing, here in Germany there is no need to switch the setting, because Annex-B is always used on analog and isdn phone lines. But I am sure that you can switch the Annex-configuration at least for the 7170 Fritzbox, see posting http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showpost.php?p=971638&postcount=1057 and as you see, you can also switch to english menu for the Fritzbox. Because the 7270 has another DSL-modem as all the former boxes uses, I am not sure, that you can also change a 7270 to Annex-A, perhaps someone else can confirm this.

If you search for a Fritzbox, you will also find some boxes with the extension SL, like 7170SL. These boxes are also technically identical to the types without the SL but the connection-cable of the box allows only to connect it to a DSL-line, not an external phone-line. As the hardware of the box is not different you can simply get a connection-cable-set that also include a connector to an external isdn or analog phone line, or you can make a cable on your own. I think that you cannot use the connection cables designed for germany in your country anyway.

I got quite a pretty collection of all sorts of FRITZ boxes - from the first FBF up to the 7270. First to answer your question: THERE ARE GENERATIONS THAT SUM UP TO A WHOLE WORLD OF DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A 7050 AND A 7270!!!.
Since long 7050 is out of any upgrade or maintenance from avm support and got stuck and finished with fw 04.33.
The 7050 has an internal memory of only 4 mb because this was enough to fit all features in the earlier firmwares from avm.
The next generation had a chip of 8 mb (example: 7170) and even the first series of 7270 had only 8 mb. But avm got quickly aware that this would not be sufficient to install new features in fw upgrades and so the 7270 got a memory of now 16 mb. The actual fw alone occupies 7,2 mb and all the features that are tested actually as '"labor firmware" will bring this volume up to easily more than 8 mb.

I changed many different FB to make their modem work with annex A (this is what you need too) and could state a significant improvement in the 7270 modem quality compared with ALL other FB I knew.

So : If you can afford a 7270 (have a look also in the "Flohmarkt" of this Forum - they are offered for app. 140.- there) and get along with a German interface (there is no English up to date for the 7270) I can only strongly recommend you to buy the 7270. To change modem working annex to A simply upload TELEFONICUS file "fritz_as_annex_a_kernel_args_newer.tar" and connect your 7270 directly to DSL. There might still be a need to do changes in the Y cable -depending on your country) of the 7270 to be able to use also landline passing through the box.

As a good and economic alternative I can recommend the 7170 (WiFi speed up to 54 mb/s - 7270: UP to 300) VERSION 2. Firmware features are similar to those in the 7270 but might differ more in future developments because of limited memory space.

There are also significant differences between GERMAN and ENGLISH firmwares - even if they are marked with the same number!!! (29.04.57 = German for 7170 has a lot more features then 29.04.57 English or 58.04.57 English-A).

If you buy a 7170 with German fw/interface it's rather easy to upload an English fw/interface. As for the 7270 I repeat that there is -at least at present- no English interface but the actual fw features are more sophisticated and in the next stable fw you cannnot only expect "remote access" to your FB which is already implemented in the (German) fw of the 7170 as well as in the 7270. Next 7270 will have feature "wake-on-lan" which means you will be able not only to access your FB but also give your PC a wake-up-call!!

@Blaria and @imagomundi. Thank you both for your replies.

Isnt it just ok to buy the new 7270 Annex A box that is on sale now if 7270 is ultimately superior than 7170 in the long-term?

There are webshops here in Finland and Sweden that are already selling the 7270 AnnexA and i think it should come with Englih interface,,,

Isnt it just ok to buy the new 7270 Annex A box that is on sale now if 7270 is ultimately superior than 7170 in the long-term?

I think I expressed that and gave all the reasons I could see - if you can get a 7270 Annex A with English interface : ideal! Hope that the English fw will have all the features of the German one (I doubt it with regard to the features that are of special interest for you "remote")

hmmmm....now I wondering if I should get the Annex B if it works better with the remote function. Does it work very well with my DSL line though? :-?

I wonder...

Features are not related to Annex. They are related to the firmware only and firmware is related to the language. I can only repeat the experience published in another thread for the 7170: firmware number German - same firmware number English: different features - the most interesting ones only in the German fw

Suggestion: Have a thorough look at (INTO) the 7270 Annex A which you were talking about and have a look into the firmware details - if you are satisfied buy the original Annex A - if not, buy the German B, change the modem functioning mode to annex A using TELEFONICUS file "fritz_as_annex_a_kernel_args_newer.tar", conserve the German interface and try to do a brief translation of the German wording.

Except the price there is no reason to buy a 7170 - but the price difference is great I would say. But if this does not metter, of course the best thing you can do us buying a Annex A box without modifying another box what might also result in a loss of warenty.
If you take a look at the ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox.fon_wlan_7170/firmware/ and check the info.txt for the german and the info.txt for the english firmware, there are for sure differences, VPN is not even mentioned in the english version and for the 7270 there is only a german update available, no english version but it is possible, that there is only no update available yet for english language. But if I remeber the threads about the "new 7270" and its initial german firmware I am not sure if a would buy a Fritzbox 7270 at all.
I am also considering the price and take a look at the advantages of the different types and it would take much more extra features to get me a new 7270 from a shop for around 200 Euro, instead of getting a (used) 7170 for 60 Euro and in approximatley a year later when AVM has released the next version of the Fritzbox the 7270 will be available for 60 Euro, perhaps 100.

you guys both have a great point. if I buy the 7270 now, I will be paying 200e and if I wait, the same box will be like 60e after about a year...

Now I need ask, will there be someone here selling already modified version of the box working on Annex A? I have tried looking here but the problem is that I dont understand German. Can anyone here help???

I bet a lot you won't get a 7270 within a year for 60.- ¤. When the first 7270 were sold in the Flohmarkt (flea market) of this Forum they sold for app. 130.- ¤ Lately this price has even gone up somewhat to app. 145.-¤.

This box is TOO good and has too much potential for future developments. As the only modification possible at this time is to change modem working mode from annex B to A YOU CAN DO THAT YOURSELF: You only have to download the TELEFONICUS file I mentioned in my # 9. You will find that following Blaria's link in #4.
All you have to do is to upload this file "as it is" (no unzipping) to the 7270 like a firmware upgrade. It's as easy as this! No other secrets - but you will probably also have to do some changes to the cable of the box which is more complicated (you will also have to do this with a 7170). Which country do you live? How do the telephone connections look there (socket and jacks)?

I wont mind buying any of 7270 or 7170 from Germany and convert it to Annex A to work here in Finland. I live in Finland :) I do not think the cable should be bring problem. I can upload the picture of my present 7050's cable connection to you so that you can please advise better ;-)

I can also change the interface to English so that I dont have to carry the German-English dictionary with me all the time :D

7050 cabling (2 separate cables for dsl and pstn) is VERY different to 7170 and 7270 (only ONE cable like an Y). I know them all! You CANNOT change 7270 interface to English as there is NO English fw available!!!! You can do that with a 7170 - English fw on avm server but switching fw needs some skills.

ok now im confused on what to do.... so:-

7270 does not have english interface but german. can it work with annex a?
7170 is possible for english interface but complicated. can change to annex a. is this complicated?

Both can easily be changed to annex A -7170 can be changed to english -no english for 7270. Both use the same cable > both need the same cable modification which in my opinion is not that easy.

oh i see... 7170 is better choice but the cabling would be a big challenge for me now :(

Can I just buy the cables from somewhere else and use it? ;-)

Hi imagomundi, do u know if it is now possible to upload an English fw/interface to a 7270 with German fw/interface?

Yes - provided you got a 7270 with 16 mb flash memory.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.