Problem with Fritz!Box STUN

mmr7

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Hi sorry but english only if anyone wants to write back in german ill can read a bit
Basically i just bought a fritz!box and it is great i used to have a sipura 3000 and have a couple of questions
1 Can you select a stun server I cannot see this option in english firmware 14.04.20 .
2 Can you select a codec
3 Can you enter auth id because I use a service wich requires this besides for user id
4 Can you tell the fritz!box not to register with a sip provider and to dial without registering.

Thanks in advance
Joseph

1 Can you select a stun server I cannot see this option in english firmware 14.04.20 .

Perhaps, you're right it is not visible if you use adsl as a connection (is also not needed! STUN is for behind NAT).
My suspicion is that maybe option becomes visible when you use LAN A as internet access? Can you pls try.

2 Can you select a codec

Partly, you cannot select directly a codec number, but you can switch between the G711 codecs (near phone quality) and the compression codecs G723 (optimum bandwith), or a combination (the recommended setting) by selecting this in the general voip settings

3 Can you enter auth id because I use a service wich requires this besides for user id

Yes you can, it's the Internet number (and tick the box "Use internet number for registration")

4 Can you tell the fritz!box not to register with a sip provider and to dial without registering.

I believe so but the instructions in the forum are in German

telocho schrieb:
Perhaps, you're right it is not visible if you use adsl as a connection (is also not needed! STUN is for behind NAT).
The STUN server needs to be entered for each and every VoIP provider you configure. It's not in the Internet setup page.

Don't use STUN if you are behind a symmetric NAT. First try without, then specify only a proxy, then try STUN and proxy.

telocho schrieb:
Partly, you cannot select directly a codec number, but you can switch between the G711 codecs (near phone quality) and the compression codecs G723 (optimum bandwith), or a combination (the recommended setting) by selecting this in the general voip settings
This defines classes of and preferences for Codecs. You may define that yourself in a custom fashion by using an image from http://www.the-construct.com
telocho schrieb:
Yes you can, it's the Internet number (and tick the box "Use internet number for registration")
This must be a number. Nonnumeric characters are not allowed here. In the SPA3000 you could enter both, user and auth id, arbitrarily.
mmr7 schrieb:
There is a file /var/flash/voip.cfg on the FBF. It contains - among other stuff - the definitions for the VoIP providers. Normally, there is a line in each definition, saying "do_not_register = no;". Set this to "yes" and you should have unregistered accounts.

Cheers,
--gandalf.

I use now also the 14.04.20, and in contrast to German 14.04.15 (which I used previously) there is no STUN entry possible on the account settings page, not in any page.
My untested idea was, that the stun entry might be visible in the account settings page, only after when internet access is changed first on the internet page from adsl to lan-a. This idea I have because stun makes no sense at all when connected to adsl directly (for the internal sip client).

Which is OK, most voip providers move now to use an SBC (with possibly the feature hosted nat traversal) anyway, which circumvents the need for stun. In fact, stun and hosted nat don't work very well, the re-registration timer in such a case is too long for most firewalls and/or udp nat port tables.
Hosted nat triggers when it sees private IP in the sip messages and public ip in the layer 3.
In any case, the voip client of the box is in the public ip (when using the adsl access) and STUN has no use here.

Possibly stun is usefull when using a softclient in your private lan, that passes a nat-traversal in the fritz box.

Yes the auth id is indeed a number only. If a alfanumerical string was needed this is not possible here. Do you know if (by editing the config files) this can be written directly in the configuration? I have no need for this so I won't try this out myself.

You are right about the classes of codecs, I was just presuming this would help our questioneer to quickly find his way around. Definitily the exact codec (and much more) can be forced by going underground from the websurface.

To answer no 3, yes very helpful tool, I know it and I hope it answers the question now in full, even if in German.
And thanks for answer 4, this is interesting. For changes in firmware 14.04.20 I have good experience with fbeditor 0.4.5.

By the way, if using the editor, there in the same config file voip.cfg is the entry for stun. It can there be added manually.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
telocho schrieb:
I use now also the 14.04.20, and in contrast to German 14.04.15 (which I used previously) there is no STUN entry possible on the account settings page, not in any page.
Amazing... I don't have my hands on a .20 version yet, and not on any international version, anyway. However, it seems to me that omitting the STUN server is a pretty strange thing to do... are you sure it really is not there anymore? Or is it just not visible when pre-defined providers are selected?

--gandalf.

It is really not there. I have not selected pre-configured providers (those are for the german version), I do have the branding now set to avme, not avm, to be able to enloy the english pages.
Main reason by the way for english firmware is the english moh (message on hold), it kind of sounds better... no offense.

You may however be right with the pre-selection, when stun is made only visible when selecting lan access.

stun is never needed when the sip-client is connected to public ip.

stun is a resolve mechanism, for the client only, to discover it's own public ip first and then use this in the sip messages itself rather than private (unroutable) ip.
SIP servers/registrars or proxies have nothing to do about stun.

telocho schrieb:
stun is a resolve mechanism, for the client only, to discover it's own public ip
...and port ;-)

And that's where symmetric NAT becomes a problem. That's why normally two STUN servers are needed on different target ports to determine the type of NAT properly... Well, one could also look into response messages like SPA3000 does ;-)

Anyway, I'm still puzzled about the missing STUN entries in the box. STUN could theoretically be possible also with DSL if the ISP does not assign public IP addresses. I have heard of at least one such provider in the U.S. some time ago... well, anyway, I guess, you should drop AVM a line asking about the missing STUN settings.

--gandalf.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.