What is UPnP and what does it mean for the Xbox console?

jamesnick36456

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Hi all,

I'm looking to understand why this feature is so important. I have googled some here and there but I'd also like some input from Xbox too. I am not a networking guru so I'm hoping that maybe an example could be provided along with the answer to understand what is upnp basically. :)

So, I have another question. If a router doesn't have UPnP does that mean that port forwarding or dmz is out of the question? why?

Basically: UPNP is a protocol to fetch and/or set parameters or configurations of network devices, e.g. Routers. In particular, it is often used to automate processes in order not to bother the user. Use cases are often to receive network information like link status or network traffic.

Usually from an XBox point of view, the port forwarding feature is relevant. Some games or apps in the XBox provide server functionality for access out of the internet. If NAT or a firewall is used, this requires a port forwarding in the router. Since many users don't want to configure the router themselves, UPNP may automate this procedure and create an appropriate port forwarding as soon as the app or service is started on the XBox and remove it when it is not used anymore.

Besides Network status information and port forwarding, AVM Fritzboxes provide settings or information for Wifi, IP routes, DECT phones, SIP Accounts, phone books, call lists, network devices or Samrt Home devices.

For a full list look here (mostly in German): https://avm.de/service/schnittstellen/

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.