AVM.Fritzbox Forum "in English" ?

Bump

I live in Germany and I speak some German, but not enough to fully understand everthing in this forum.

I have not found another forum with as much information or help on the AVM stuff especially the Fritzbox.

I would like to know what is the goal of a forum? Do you want more people to join? Do you want to be popular?

The Fritzbox is now in many countries that do not speak German, but forums have not been started and even if they do they will be a long way behind the knowledge and information that the members of the IP Phone forum have.

I would like to raise this Theme again and ask for one sub-sub-forum within the AVM forum which is for english questions. The main reason is that this would make searching for things easier.

I am not the biggest computer freak (and have not studied computer science) but as a native english speaker I would also like to talk to the owners of this forum about being a moderator for the english part, (if i understand it H.A.N.D. also has said this above). for example how much time i must allocate to moderating and other things as a moderator i must do.

The alternative which is certain is that if the fritbox becomes popular in the world then other forums will start up and will eventually overtake the popularity of the german only forum. With popularity will also come a better forum, more ideas, solutions and modifications from other computer experts.

If this forum does start an english part it may become the popular forum and people that speak both languages will be able to share in both parts of the forum thus the people that speak german will always be up with the latest things.

Please do not misunderstand me. I learn german every week and do my Homework. i live here and have worked very hard at my German. I am not against German.

I think having a small english part would be a great advantage to the forum and give it the chance to become bigger, if that is a goal of the forum owners.

darbid schrieb:
I would like to raise this Theme again and ask for one sub-sub-forum within the AVM forum which is for english questions.

Seems a lot of people have read this thread in the last couple of days but nothing has happened. If an "english" only thread is just going to cause too many problems for those people that think this forum MUST stay a German language only forum then what about this......

in the AVM sub forum have "AVM Fritz box International Version".

This would also be a solution.

So far, the number of non-German postings is relatively small compared to the overall volume. English postings not only occur in the AVM section but also in various other sub-forums that deal with VoIP in general and specific hardware or software problems. Therefore, the benefit of a single "English only" sub-forum is not clear, facing the plethora of topics we cover here.

The present practice is to permit English postings as separate threads within all discussion groups, with responses in English as well. Is that really so much inferior to an "English only" forum? IMHO this permits language diversity while adhering to a clear topic structure.

As for your suggestion to have an "AVM Fritz!Box Fon International Version" forum... my FBF runs in international mode as well, and my primary posting language is German ;-) I'm probably not the only one. This won't limit the language of the forum to English.

Can't you bear a few German threads among the English ones? ;-) After all, it's a primarily German forum... Check out www.voxilla.com as an alternative... however, you may not find there many issues that are specific to the German-speaking countries and make this forum here so interesting.

Cheers,
--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
So far, the number of non-German postings is relatively small compared to the overall volume..
Ageed, first if you have trouble reading german you cannot reply to an existing thread, secondly people would not know they actually can write english in a german forum.
gandalf94305 schrieb:
English postings not only occur in the AVM section but also in various other sub-forums that deal with VoIP in general and specific hardware or software problems. Therefore, the benefit of a single "English only" sub-forum is not clear, facing the plethora of topics we cover here..
All other topics of VoIp are very well covered by other VoIP forums. This is also clear. It is the Fritzbox which is not yet covered.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
The present practice is to permit English postings as separate threads within all discussion groups, with responses in English as well. Is that really so much inferior to an "English only" forum? IMHO this permits language diversity while adhering to a clear topic structure..
How does an english only speaking person search for english answers to his questions under this structure? I think the answer is he cannot.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
As for your suggestion to have an "AVM Fritz!Box Fon International Version" forum... my FBF runs in international mode as well, and my primary posting language is German ;-) I'm probably not the only one. This won't limit the language of the forum to English..
No it will not limit the language to english. It was a compromise for you moderators and the people in the forum being scared that English will take over the forum. Of course most of the posting in this sub-sub-fourm would be english because the majority of enligsh speakers will have or want such an international model.

Just think your first sticky could be how to go through IP-forum to buy an account from for example 1und1 in Germany. A great service and I imagine the forum earns money from such a referral.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
Can't you bear a few German threads among the English ones? ;-) After all, it's a primarily German forum... .

Course I can. It is infact good for my german learning. Just takes a lot longer to read. And god help you when i start writing in German. But I am about making the forum more popular.

Last time I checked the forum is on the World Wide Web and not the German Wide Web. The whole world does not speak english but it is possible that when the world talks to each other its common language is english.

darbid schrieb:
How does an english only speaking person search for english answers to his questions under this structure? I think the answer is he cannot.
Well, he can, with two easy steps: first questioning an English -> German dictionary for the word "Search", returning "Suche". Then use this function with a few English(!) keywords, which hopefully does return the desired thread.

The Forum can be used in English so search is search.

I agree with you that this works some of the time.

But there are a lot of words used here that are the same in german and english.

Codec - WLAN - Least Cost Routing - adaptor - mod - debranding - problem (that is a big one ;-))

Hmmm... interesting discussion!

Since I haven't the foggiest about forums and their possibilities, I wonder if there is some way to mark all english threads somehow, thereby giving the english speaker a search criteria to result in only english threads....

Just a thought :noidea:

Cheers,

kitten

@darbid: seems like you are an Aussie? ;) I'm at the moment in Australia and still read that very interesting forum. But I'm actually German so it's easier for me to read through the postings.

However, I understand your proposal and I would support an English sub-forum that makes it easier for non-english speakers to get the desired information. And I would also be scared off writing here in a foreign language.

With kind regards from Sydney,

Peter

P.S.: AVM should introduce the Fritz!Box in Australia! ;)

PEPITO82 schrieb:
P.S.: AVM should introduce the Fritz!Box in Australia! ;)

Regarding the English forum: please be a bit more patient... bear with us.

Regarding the Fritz Down Under: you are free to import the FBF to Australia... AVM, however, has a clear European market focus and has been quite successful esp. in cooperation with ISPs and VoIP providers in Germany. So, why should they take the investment of entering the Australian market if at the same time they probably sell here more every day via 1&1 etc. than in Australia in a year? However, if you want to discuss that, please open a new thread. We deviate from the topic ;-)

--gandalf.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.