Converting a German targeted Fritz!Box Fon Wlan to an International version

My only problem with the JFritz is how to overcome the error message
"Wrong Password!" when you try and connect to the box.

Re the codecs
How do do you find that information?

HummerUK
darbid schrieb:
Tell me what you think you want translated. And could you please check to see what codecs your box has.

@HummerUK:

The current version of JFritz doesn't support the english firmware. I'm now working for weeks to support the english firmware but I need a tester, who has some programming experience. There are still some bugs in my solution.

The next JFritz Version 0.6.1 will definetivly support english firmware.

HummerUK schrieb:
Re the codecs
How do do you find that information?
.........you use telnet to go into the box and then type "voipd -s" and then "voipd" you will then see a list of available codecs. Can you post that result in the forum please.

Is this the correct section?

May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: PCMA: 98933 bits/second (encaplen=2,30ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: PCMU: 98933 bits/second (encaplen=2,30ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: G726-32: 56533 bits/second (encaplen=2,30ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: G726-40: 70666 bits/second (encaplen=2,30ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: G726-24: 42400 bits/second (encaplen=2,30ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: iLBC: 42400 bits/second (encaplen=2,30ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: G729: 28266 bits/second (encaplen=2,30ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: PCMA: 106000 bits/second (encaplen=2,20ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: PCMU: 106000 bits/second (encaplen=2,20ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: G726-32: 63600 bits/second (encaplen=2,20ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: G726-40: 84800 bits/second (encaplen=2,20ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: G726-24: 63600 bits/second (encaplen=2,20ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: iLBC: 42400 bits/second (encaplen=2,20ms)
May 20 14:36:20 voipd[762]: G729: 42400 bits/second (encaplen=2,20ms)

The rest seems to include all my phone numbers :)

Also many thanks for the update relating to the JFritz program.

HummerUK
darbid schrieb:
.........you use telnet to go into the box and then type "voipd -s" and then "voipd" you will then see a list of available codecs. Can you post that result in the forum please.

Hello HummerUK,
before you make too many modifications ;-) could you try to make (us) a backup?

Here's a little howto (thanks to HaveANiceDay!):

1. if your PC runs Windows get a TFTP server for Windows: from http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ and set it up to this address: 192.168.178.99

2. telnet to your Fritzbox and enter:

- cd /var/tmp/
- cat /dev/mtdblock/0 > mtd0
- tftp -p -l mtd0 192.168.178.99 ( your tftp server address )
- rm mtd0

- do the same for : mtd1, mtd3 and mtd4 ( e.g. /dev/mtdblock/1 > mtd1 )

Now should have mtd0, mtd1, mtd3 and mtd4 as a Backup on your server.

mtd0 + mtd1 contain the firmware (mtd0 = filesystem.image
mtd1 = kernel.image), mtd3 + mtd4 contain your configuration.

mtd2 - never touch! It's the boot loader and fiddling with it could possibly make your box a brick! (sez H.A.N.D)

However, making a backup shouldn't be dangerous (sez I).

Cheers,
Telefonicus

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
haveaniceday schrieb:
You can only use tftp to write the firmware to another system. There is no easy way.
Also the regular upload procedure will not accept the image without the proper
checksum.

Sure, I'd have to generate a new checksum and make the boot loader accept it. Every firmware update does this. It it a secret how it's done or has it already been re-engineered? Is it documented somewhere?

Is it possible to backup and transfer the complete flash memory mtd0..mtd4 from one 7050 to the other? I understand the recovery files even overwrite mtd2. Is it known how recovery works and is it documented somewhere? Or would it be the easiest way to take the soldering iron and connect a JTAG cable?

Cheers,
Telefonicus

telefonicus schrieb:
Sure, I'd have to generate a new checksum and make the boot loader accept it. Every firmware update does this. It it a secret how it's done or has it already been re-engineered? Is it documented somewhere?

I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff and cannot help you, but when you see how old the english 7050 software is compared to the german firmware. I would guess that the enlgish firmware is about 3 to 4 German updates behind. Is it really worth it? I also think and believe that an update for the english firmware is not far away. I too have asked AVM and they have said soon.

Write to them too and tell them you want to buy a 7050 but not with the old firmware, ask them when they will update it.

Has anyone found a way of getting the country code to 44 on a german converted fon wlan ? I am hoping this will give UK dial and ring tone

jimbo19 schrieb:
Has anyone found a way of getting the country code to 44 on a german converted fon wlan ? I am hoping this will give UK dial and ring tone
Do you mean in the regional settings of the box? As far as I can see that does not work with the classic.

Maybe Hummer can share with us what happens in the 7050 in english.

Yep the regional settings in the box .
I wondered if maybe it was possible to dump the config out , vi it and then stick it back , but with country code set to 44 , instead of 99

Hey Hummer do you have in the SYSTEM section a regional settings choice?
Does it work? (ie can you change it and the box accepts the change)
What countries do you have to choose from?
What country do / did you have it set to when you printed for me the codec list above?

I have a feeling that this regional settings choice also can affect the codecs.

Under Telephony, Regional Options I have the following choice (my one of course is set to United Kingdom).

Neverlands
France
Spain
Hungary
Latvia
Austria
United Kingdom
Denmark
Germany
Argentina
Other Country

A change of the above also requires the box to reboot.

I am surprised it includes Germany - Why not only market this version?

My phone ringing pattern sounds very UK but the dialtone is not (unless you set the extensions to default to your BT line).

I like the different dialtone as it lets me know I am not using BT :)

HummerUK

darbid schrieb:
Hey Hummer do you have in the SYSTEM section a regional settings choice?
Does it work? (ie can you change it and the box accepts the change)
What countries do you have to choose from?
What country do / did you have it set to when you printed for me the codec list above?

I have a feeling that this regional settings choice also can affect the codecs.

Thanks buddy once again.

By the way in case you have not noticed the new firmware is out for the 7050. I do not see an english version. Throw AVM another email. Yet again they bring out an update in german and not in english.

haveaniceday schrieb:
I expect AVM had not published such a version as download.
Just international boxes came with this version.
The last download is regular available for ever.

Did anyone with an internation box ask AVM for an update ?

Haveaniceday

I have an international 7050 and I ripped filesystem.image and kernel.image, if you need them I cand send you. No full web update image, but I guess it can be rebuilt from the 2 files and some skill

Now I bought also an 7170.... before reading that no one has been able to get it work with Annex A :(
I will try it with Annex A on next days... hope to get it work !
Do you know if it's really an hardware problem or a missing software module ?
On the hardware side, I rode that AR7 chip can connect to all DSL standards, so it should be only a input filter problem, that I can mybe solve.
On the software side, I don't know where to look for... what do you think about ripping a 7050 ar7 firmware part and put inside 7170 ???

Regards

Max

opensoft schrieb:
quoting voipmustbe

This is great news! If I only could read German! :blonk:

If I understand, 08 versions are for the "simple" WLAN and 14 versions are specific for the 7050. But does the web interface for the WLAN fit for the characteristics of a 7050? I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that a 7050 would have more things to setup, i.e. three "fon" ports instead of two. :confused:

When you say it works for you, do you mean "I do not need the 7050 specific settings"? :confused:

Thank you,

opensoft

Hi there, opensoft (and other people interested in this subject)!!

Thanks a zillion for the VERY useful comment about firmware.

I have a FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050, Firmware Version 14.03.91, in english, and I tried to get into the unit with telnet. No way.
It's not switched on by default, and also I cannot switch it on using:
telnetd: #96*7* (switch it ON)
telnetd: #96*8* (switch it OFF)

Maybe there is not even a telnet demon in the unit in the particular firmwareversion that I have here.

Is there any trick to get newer firmware in my unit, in order to get telnetd working?

When I check the built-in 'check new firmware', the browser kicks in and goes to the AVM website, and tells me:

"An update for FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 is currently not available.'"

I didnt want to give up, and Googled for newer versions.
I found one, and I downloaded firmware version:
14.04.06 (Build: 06.05.22, in german)

The transfer into my 7050 seemed to be okay, but after finishing it, there was still the old version of the software.

Any tricks available???

Would be great to get your help in this.

Thanks a bunch!!

Robbert

tulipman schrieb:
telnetd: #96*7* (switch it ON)
telnetd: #96*8* (switch it OFF)

Did you try to switch-on the telnet demon via telnet? :)
Connect a phone and DIAL these codes.

Is there any trick to get newer firmware in my unit, in order to get telnetd working?

Write to AVM ([email protected]) and ask for the latest english beta version.

Tell them you are an active IP-Phone-Furum member and report your experiences to both AVM and us.

Good luck!
Telefonicus

telefonicus schrieb:

Tell them you are an active IP-Phone-Furum member and report your experiences to both AVM and us.

Good luck!
Telefonicus

Hi Telefonicus, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I already tried the codes #96*7* (switch it ON)
and #96*8* (switch it OFF) but they are not accepted.

It means the unit doesn't recognise above mentioned codes.

It only recognises codes like #96*0* (switch WLAN ON)
telnetd: #96*1* (switch WLAN OFF), and there maybe more but unfortunately #96*7* and #96*8* are 'no go'.

Any hints??

Robbert

telefonicus schrieb:

Good luck!
Telefonicus

Found some other codes to RESET the 7050 to factory settings:
#991*15901590*

Can be handy if you can't go into the 7050 webserver anymore...

I remember from the German Fritzbox that this feature was introduced in one of the late ninetees versions. Your version is 14.03.91, right? There is a solution from Haveniceday:
telnet.tar
http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=3453&d=1103903784

Tar-packaged script files can be loaded and executed via the firmware-update function.

No warranty, handle with care!

Telefonicus

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
UK 7050 Box Now Under £140.00

After buying a German 7050 box and then a UK one for £200.00 I see http://www.sipgate.co.uk are now selling them for a good price.

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7050

Re getting Telnet to work you do indeed have to first perform a firmware upgrade as mentioned in an earlier post.

Then enable from a handset and telnet works.

Still no new firmware from avm so my box is still on FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 Annex A, Firmware Version 14.03.91 :(

Still no JFritz for UK boxes either which is a real shame :( http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfritz/

HummerUK

Zurzeit aktive Besucher

Statistik des Forums

Themen
Mitglieder
Neuestes Mitglied
porcupine
Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.