Converting a German targeted Fritz!Box Fon Wlan to an International version

haveaniceday schrieb:
Just do everything vice versa.
- Do a switch back to Annex B. ( Expect you have a Annex B box )
Haveaniceday

fritz_als_annex_b.tar ?

Yes. The german "als" is an english "as".

haveaniceday schrieb:
Just do everything vice versa.
- Haveaniceday

Hello H.A.N.D. thank you for this reply I was also thinking about how I could go back to german when I sell my box (if I sell it in Germany).

And buddy, have a nice day :)

P.S. I am also soon to be the owner of a 7050 and am thus looking to get this to English. I know there is no simple way of doing this yet. I hope that an English update comes soon and a wonderful script follows. :D

Hello HAVEANICEDAY to you and your marvellous friends.I have been viewing the development of you thread for a while and both you and OPENSOFT and the other folks have been doing a terrific job, much helpful.I had a similar problem with a fritz box fon bought from ebay.de and could not understand a word from the German Web interface.I decided to do the fatal mistake and updated the firmware with the fritz.box_fon.en.06.04.01.image found in avm.de .After that my web interface didn't respond to any of the typing http://192.168.178.1 or http://192.168.179.1 or http://fritz.box. I email the avm support twice.On their first reply they said it is impossible to load a firmware in English (JUST THE SAME THING REPLIED TO OPENSOFT) on my second mail i informed them for the failed upgrade and waiting for a "roll back" firmware procedure(if they could give me one).I saw you writing about "werks reset" ( factory reset).If you please can you give me any advice on how to achive it?I can still connect to the fritz box fon though usb and using telnet but couldn't go any further.Thanks in advance.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
salamander1 schrieb:
.I decided to do the fatal mistake and updated the firmware with the fritz.box_fon.en.06.04.01.image found in avm.de .

Does the above mean that you did not use any of the stuff here in the forum. You simply tried to update your FritzBox Fon (german model) with an English update?

If this is what you did it is strange that the box did anything. It should resond saying that it could not update, with red letters at the top of the screen. Did the boxes "info" light go on and did the box reset after you did this update?

Have you tried reaching the box by giving you computer a fixed IP address of i think 192.168.178.250 and getting the box with 192.168.178.254? This is in the english manual which you can get from AVM.

darbid schrieb:
Have you tried reaching the box by giving you computer a fixed IP address of i think 192.168.178.250 and getting the box with 192.168.178.254? This is in the english manual which you can get from AVM.

If you really managed to update your German speaking Fritzbox to the English image your browser may still remember the German page names. http://fritz.fonwlan.box or http://fritz.fonwlan.box/cgi-bin/webcm is a good point to start. Also http://192.168.178.1/cgi-bin/webcm will probably override the trotten pathes of your browsers memory. If you use a fixed IP address (instead of the automatic DHCP) use this DNS: 192.168.178.1 (same as the standard gateway IP).

Ciao,
Telefonicus

The above method I explained of reaching the box does not matter whether it is in german or english. The manuals in german and english in this section are identical.

darbid schrieb:
The above method I explained of reaching the box does not matter whether it is in german or english. The manuals in german and english in this section are identical.

Your manuals are supposedly correct, I didn't want to be the smart ass about that. I just wanted to point out that browsers don't always show what we expect and explain how we can get what we want without having to clear the browser cache.

If you change the Fritzbox interface language, your browser may recall autoreferrals from the old (cached) pages and thus try to access pages that don't exist any more. Give the browser a new (uncached) page address as a starting point and you're fine.

Agreed.

Somehow I think that salamander1's problem, although strange is more sinister than what you and I are talking about.

darbid schrieb:
Somehow I think that salamander1's problem, although strange is more sinister than what you and I are talking about.

He may have lost his web interface but if he can telnet he's not completely lost.

@salamander1, did you have to enable the telnet interface somehow (e.g. phone #96*7*)?

First Thank you DARBID and TELEFONICUS for your interest and your fast replies.I will start from Darbid reply.Yes i have done the failed attempt to upgrade and afterwards i discovered this forum and all the good stuff in it.During upgrade the INFO led turned on for a while.Afterwards and while the INFO led was still on there was a message in German that couldn't understand a word of it but seem to have two options,propably PROCEED and CANCEL or something like this.I checked the left one and the there happened something i thought was modem reboot : all the fritz leds went on and then off and after that only the power led went on but this timing was blinking.I tried to reboot my pc but there was no difference.From this time i have lost communication with the fritz box through the web interface.I have tried the tips you and TELEFONICUS gave me on your replies but nothing happened.I only have USB connection not LAN with the modem so i only gave to the internet explorer window the fixed IP address you recommended but still nothing.I have already activated telnet through #96*7* and have done what OPENSOFT posted on 04.03.2006, 17:26 but i am doing something wrong from the part he says "Untar the firmware in a directory, i.e. patch:

mkdir patch
cd patch
tar xvf ../firmware.image

you get a ./var directory containing, among other stuff, a script called "install"

edit the script:

vi ./var/install"
and i couldn't edit the script.I also tried to do it with cygwin but also failed.I also have to notice that the modem is a fritz box fon with product code 01036 and i can upload to this post a photo of its back plate if this could be useful to someone trying to help me resolve the problem.I am still reading posts in this site in order to find a solution but most of them are in German and is time consuming to translate them even through online translation engines.I believe telnet is the way to load the factory default firmware but can't make the damn thing cooperate.I still haven't got any reply from AVM support.Much obliged folks for your time and interest.

I know very little about cygwin etc so I cannot help you with that stuff. If I were in your position I would try and start again with the recover file. Here is the link in german. The letter from AVM in the first post you will need to translate. http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=67985

You will also need the recover file. These are naughty words in the forum due AVM i believe and so you are not allowed to ask directly in the forum for it. Maybe some nice person will see a person in distress and help him out.
When AVM replies and they are for me good at replying maybe they will send you this file.

Some status needs to be clarified:

1. Can you still ping the box and get a result form it.
2. Can you telnet to the box.

If 1. and 2. works so it is very easy to revive the box.
The missing webinterface causes by the symlink to it is gone because the german langauge points to the difference folder in the box. To recreate the correct pointing you must get access to the box from telnet and change the path.

Look at this underneath (from the first post) ...

With an established telnet connection, go to the var directory on the Fritz!Box:

cd /var
ls -l

you will see that there is a link called “html” pointing to /usr/www/avm/en

This link points to a non coherent (and non existing) hybrid, as we learned by now that "avm" stands for the German version and "en" stands for English...

To repair the web interface we just rename this defective link and we create the correct one:

mv html html.orig
ln -s /usr/www/avme/en html

Then we restart the webserver:

killall websrv
websrv

Thank you VOIPMUSTBE.I have tried what you proposed but took this result:
Code:
2002-09-08 16:41:09 unknown: /var/flash/ar7.cfg:9: member dhcpenabled not found
in ST_topsection ar7cfg
2002-09-08 16:41:09 unknown: /var/flash/ar7.cfg:9: member dhcpenabled not in ar7
cfg, try to recover
2002-09-08 16:41:09 unknown: load_config(ar7): warning: converted

BusyBox v1.00-pre3 (2005.11.04-09:38+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

HWRevision='58'
HWSubRevision=''
ANNEX='B'
ANNEX_PTEST_FILE='ptest-results-0'
ANNEX_PTEST_HOST='192.168.178.20'
ANNEX_TEST='0'
OEM='1und1'
Language='en'
Country='99'
TZ='CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0'
CONFIG_AB_COUNT='2'
CONFIG_ANNEX='B'
CONFIG_ANSWER='n'
CONFIG_ASSIST='y'
CONFIG_ATA='y'
CONFIG_ATA_FULL='n'
CONFIG_AUDIO='n'
CONFIG_AURA='n'
CONFIG_BLUETOOTH='n'
CONFIG_BLUETOOTH_CTP='n'
CONFIG_BUTTON='n'
CONFIG_CAPI='y'
CONFIG_CAPI_MIPS='y'
CONFIG_CAPI_UBIK='n'
CONFIG_CAPI_XILINX='n'
CONFIG_CDROM='y'
CONFIG_CDROM_FALLBACK='y'
CONFIG_DECT='n'
CONFIG_DSL='y'
CONFIG_ENVIRONMENT_PATH='/proc/sys/dev/adam2'
CONFIG_ETH_COUNT='1'
 CONFIG_FIRMWARE_URL='[URL="http://www.avm.de/fritzbox-firmware-update.php?hardware=58&"]http://www.avm.de/fritzbox-firmware-update.php?hardware=58&[/URL]
oem=1und1&language=en&country='
CONFIG_FON='y'
CONFIG_HOMEI2C='n'
CONFIG_HOSTNAME='fritz.fon.box'
CONFIG_I2C='n'
CONFIG_INSTALL_TYPE='ar7_4MB_2eth_2ab_isdn_pots_05804'
CONFIG_JFFS2='n'
CONFIG_LED_NO_DSL_LED='n'
CONFIG_MEDIACLI='n'
CONFIG_MEDIASRV='n'
CONFIG_NAND='n'
CONFIG_NFS='n'
CONFIG_OEM_DEFAULT='freenet'
CONFIG_PRODUKT='Fritz_Box_FON'
CONFIG_PRODUKT_NAME='FRITZ!Box Fon (UI)'
CONFIG_RAMSIZE='16'
CONFIG_ROMSIZE='4'
 CONFIG_SERVICEPORTAL_URL='[URL="http://www.avm.de/fritzbox-service-portal.php?hardware"]http://www.avm.de/fritzbox-service-portal.php?hardware[/URL]
=58&oem=1und1&language=en&country='
CONFIG_STOREUSRCFG='y'
CONFIG_SUBVERSION=''
CONFIG_UBIK2='n'
CONFIG_USB='y'
CONFIG_USB_HOST_AVM='n'
CONFIG_USB_HOST_TI='n'
CONFIG_USB_PRINT_SERV='n'
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE='n'
CONFIG_USB_WLAN_AUTH='n'
CONFIG_VERSION='04.01'
CONFIG_VERSION_MAJOR='06'
CONFIG_VLYNQ0='0'
CONFIG_VLYNQ1='0'
CONFIG_VPN='n'
CONFIG_WLAN='n'
CONFIG_WLAN_GREEN='n'
CONFIG_WLAN_WDS='n'
CONFIG_XILINX='n'
ermittle die aktuelle TTY
tty is "/dev/pts/0"
Console Ausgaben auf dieses Terminal umgelenkt
# cd /var
#
# ls -1
TZ
config.def
flash
fx_moh
html
led
lock
log
post_install
run
tmp
#
# ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Sep  8 14:00 TZ -> /etc/default.99/TZ
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1057 Sep  8 14:00 config.def
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Sep  8 14:00 default -> /etc/default.
Fritz_Box_FON
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Sep  8 14:00 flash
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           30 Sep  8 14:00 fx_moh -> /etc/default.9
9/fx_moh.default
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Sep  8 14:00 html -> /usr/www/1und1
prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Sep  8 14:00 led
drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Feb  2  2006 lock
drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Feb  2  2006 log
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root          624 Feb  2  2006 post_install
drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Feb  2  2006 run
drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Feb  2  2006 tmp
#
# mv html html.orig
#
# ln -s /usr/www/avme/en html
#
# killall websrv
#
# Sep  8 16:43:08 websrv[330]: Signal: termination
Sep  8 16:43:08 websrv[322]: Signal: termination
Sep  8 16:43:08 websrv[329]: Signal: termination
websrv
#
# Sep  8 16:43:20 websrv[736]: csock: using poll
Sep  8 16:43:20 websrv[736]: /var/flash/ar7.cfg:9: member dhcpenabled not found
in ST_topsection ar7cfg
Sep  8 16:43:20 websrv[736]: /var/flash/ar7.cfg:9: member dhcpenabled not in ar7
cfg, try to recover
Sep  8 16:43:20 websrv[736]: load_config(ar7): warning: converted
Sep  8 16:43:20 websrv[736]: startup (Jan 25 2006 11:43:20)
Still can't have web interface.

-----
Edit Novize
Please do not use the "Quote-Tags"
for posting your log, use the "Code-Tags"
Thanks
-----

Why complicate Things

Hello,
I just found this ongoing discussion by coincidence. I am very astonished that so many people are ready to modify a german Fritz-Box into an international version.
It is true that they are hard to find outside Germany in the stores. And the boxes on ebay are all made for the german market.
But on the avm homepage (http://www.avm.de/de/Partner/index.html) it is possible to find a distributor for almost any country, and they have the international version (!) with annex A and annex B.
So I found the reseller here in Portugal, could place all my questions, and bought online a Fritz-Fone Box (Annex A), wich was tested here with the local ADSL-providers and runs fine.
So why complicate...
Sorry, but I had to say this...

khal schrieb:
Hello,
... on the avm homepage (http://www.avm.de/de/Partner/index.html) it is possible to find a distributor for almost any country, and they have the international version (!) with annex A and annex B.
So I found the reseller here in Portugal, could place all my questions, and bought online a Fritz-Fone Box (Annex A), wich was tested here with the local ADSL-providers and runs fine.
So why complicate...
Sorry, but I had to say this...

Because at www.e-bay.de you can buy the german Fritz!box Fon Wlan 7050 at 120-130 euro (new - "buy it now") or even less: 80-90 euro (new - auction price) !
The official price for the equivalent international model in Greece is 250 euro!!

By the way, how much did you pay for your english-speaking Annex A Fritz!box :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ???

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Why 7050?

geonolis schrieb:
Because at www.e-bay.de you can buy the german Fritz!box Fon Wlan 7050 at 120-130 euro

I wonder why you southern guys are so keen on the 7050 model. Meanwhile the "old" Fritz!Box Fon WLAN has been upgraded (by firmware!) to the same DSL and WLAN features as the 7050 .

Many foreign inquiries to this forum refer to changing the German model to Annex-A. If you need Annex-A you are using ADSL over PSTN (analog line). However, the most outstanding feature of the 7050 is it's ability to connect ISDN hardware via it's S0 bus. If you don't have an ISDN phone or an ISDN PBX you're fine with the good old standard model.

Besides the many 1-EUR bundles (including a 1 year ISDN/DSL contract in Germany) the real "Buy-It-Now" offers start at 119 EUR. In the last 4 weeks 584 pieces have been sold on Ebay auctions with a 10%-point at 86 EUR (10% of all auctions closed under 86 EUR). If you place fifty-nine 86-EUR bids you have a good chance to win 5-6 boxes ;-)

Good luck!
Telefonicus

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
haveaniceday schrieb:
PS: Oops, during I wrote this: http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?p=545772#post545772
Somebody had trouble with a 7050 and 14.04.01 to set to Annex A. He had
to switch back to an older firmware version.
So sometimes in the near future it might be required to modify the whole
firmware to get Annex A on a regular Annex B box... ( implant Annex DSL-firmware
part ).

I just upgrade to 14.04.01 and it works on annex A (on a very bad quality line). I now hope that it works at my home, which is a very good line and where it didn't work with 14.03.x

voipmustbe schrieb:
Some status needs to be clarified:

1. Can you still ping the box and get a result form it.
2. Can you telnet to the box.

If 1. and 2. works so it is very easy to revive the box.
The missing webinterface causes by the symlink to it is gone because the german langauge points to the difference folder in the box. To recreate the correct pointing you must get access to the box from telnet and change the path.

Look at this underneath (from the first post) ...

With an established telnet connection, go to the var directory on the Fritz!Box:

cd /var
ls -l

you will see that there is a link called “html” pointing to /usr/www/avm/en

This link points to a non coherent (and non existing) hybrid, as we learned by now that "avm" stands for the German version and "en" stands for English...

To repair the web interface we just rename this defective link and we create the correct one:

mv html html.orig
ln -s /usr/www/avme/en html

Then we restart the webserver:

killall websrv
websrv

Thanks for the help.The AVM support team gave a recover file and managed to get back the lost WEB interface.Thank you for your time to read my post and the time consumed to advise me.Thanks again.

Other methode for the convertion

Hello,

I have successfully convert my FRITZ!Box fon to English and annex A without editing any files. Here is the procedure I have used.

Activate the telnet with the phone (if not already done):
#96*7*

Connect with telnet and change the firmware version to avme (avm English):
echo "firmware_version avme" > /proc/avalanche/env

Use the web firmware upgrade to patch with the file fritz_als_avme_annex_A_new.tar

After the reboot, the web interface is not available and it is normal because only the German pages are in the box. The next steps will load and untar the last English firmware and install it with the telnet interface.

# cd /
# wget -O - ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox...nnex_a/fritz.box_fon.annexa.en.06.04.02.image | tar xv
./var/
./var/tmp/
./var/tmp/kernel.image
./var/tmp/filesystem.image
./var/info.txt
./var/install
./var/chksum
./var/copy_firmware
./var/reboot
# cd /var
# ./install
# [...] information on the upgrade
# ./post_install &

After the reboot you have a nice FRITZ!Box fon converted to Annex A and English.

I hope you enjoyed it ;)

Neueste Beiträge

Statistik des Forums

Themen
Mitglieder
Neuestes Mitglied
Gjorstn
Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.