7170 nearly DEAD?

poops1975

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
[Edit frank_m24: Abgetrennt von hier: http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=119856]

Hi all, sorry for writing in English...(i don't understand a word of german...:()

I have bought Fritz!BOX 7170 1&1 on the ebay and was hoping to get it working... was hoping to get an english menu and convert it to Annex A. After good few tryings I ended up with no web or telnet access to the box. The only access I can get is through FTP.
I was trying FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7170.04.59.recover-image.exe but that doesn't work saying that it's incompatible...
could somebody please help me....

PLEASE!!!

Thanks another problem now...

Thanks very much. I have another problem now....
I've recovered my FB7170 and changed Annex B to Annex A.
My Internet working perfect and i can make a call using internet. the problem is when i'm trying to make a call using fixed line. What happens is both lights (fixed line & internet) light up and FB restarts. I have a feeling that i messed up dsl/tel cable as I did not have original one... I have cable crimped good few times but no luck. I found Y-cable diagrams and tried to make the same cable:
FB end -> RJ45 middle cables 4&5 used for dsl, 3&6 for analog signal, on the other side of the cable I have 2xRJ11 with pins 2&3 used.

Any idea why my FB is hanning/reboting when I'm trying to make a call through fixed line?

was hoping to get an english menu and convert it to Annex A. After good few tryings.....

In what consisted your "good few tryings"? In other words: What exactly did you do on the box?
Which firmware number was the box before you did those good few tryings?
You know how to open the box's own ftp server? If you can, "ask" the box for some information as follows:

after ftp> type (observe major and minor letters)

quote GETENV firmware_version (press ENTER)

quote GETENV firmware_info (ENTER)

quote GETENV HWRevision (ENTER)

quote GETENV annex (ENTER)

quote GETENV kernel_args annex (ENTER)

POST ANSWERS HERE

[Edit Novize: Fullquote deleted from the previous post]

Thanks for your help...
By good few tryings i mean folowing instructions on different forums to get it converted to Annex A + English firmware.
Originaly box was Annex B german menu , can not recall firmware version but it was something like 29.04.x
What I've done:
FRITZ.Box_Fon_WLAN_7170.AnnexB.en.04.57.recover-image.exe to make it English
upload fritz_als_avme_annex_A_new.tar to make it Annex A.

This morning when I wanted to get information from FB I noticed that I can not connect to FTP (Saying Connected and then Connection closed by remote host) or telnet (failed). Also FB restarted about 5 times (internet&Fixed line lights light up at the same time and then FB restarts). Same happens if I connect analog phone and pick it up (wanted to enable telnet).
I only have my LAN cable connected to the FB at the moment. My web interface is working. So my current firmware FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7170, Firmware version 29.04.57. Annex A (saying on DSL-info).
While writing this to you FB restarted about 7 times without me doing anything with it.

Maybe I should start all over again?.....From scratch I mean? If so could you please instruct me

This is it. Thanks for your help

Regards,
Alexei Sviridov

If you can enter the interface do a factory reset first. Supposing that interface still is German (? you did not give this information in your answer) this path:

Einstellungen - System - Zurücksetzen - Werkseinstellungen

If interface is English you know yourself. If interface is English upload TELEFONICUS file "fritz_as_avme_newer.tar". You should have uploaded this instead of the "...new.tar" which is only good for boxes with older firmwares = lower than 04.30. You would not have run into your problem.
If interface is German just do the factory reset and post again.

The ineterface is in English. when I try to upload TELEFONICUS file "fritz_as_avme_newer.tar" I'm getting FAILED to update but no error specified.
Please see pics attached.
Also, why I can not connect to FB through FTP?
Thank you

Anhänge

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    112.6 KB · Aufrufe: 29
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    104.2 KB · Aufrufe: 23
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    91.8 KB · Aufrufe: 23
...just wondering...should I try to set it back to Annex B and load Annex B german firmware and then if it works follow this procedures( by Telefonicus)

http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?p=1110485

HTML:
Conversion is no longer difficult or risky these days. 

The bootloader must be set to avme to allow the English annex-B firmware, e.g. 29.04.56. The modem can be set to annex A anytime (independently from the bootloader setting) by means of the pseudoimage fritz_as_annex_a_kernel_args_newer.tar . The ADSL modem will stay with it's annex-A or B setting and this setting will even survive a recovery. But you must always update with annex B firmware since your bootloader is set to annex B.

If you got a German Fritzbox all you got to do is

1) set the branding to avme (quote SETENV firmware_version avme or use the avme pseudoimage) to allow the English firmware update/recovery
2) recover to the latest English annex-B Firmware
3) set the modem to annex A using the annex-A pseudoimage

EDIT 08.06.2008: minor edits for clarification.

"firmware upgrade failed: no error" in fact means: o.k. - your box is working on A - and in fact it is!. Do the factory reset using the interface (box modem will remain working on A).

FB end -> RJ45 middle cables 4&5 used for dsl, 3&6 for analog signal, on the other side of the cable I have 2xRJ11 with pins 2&3 used

The FB end is ok - PIN 2 & 3 in RJ 11 does also mean the middle ones? Did you check the contact in RJ 11 with a cable tester? It's easy to believe that one cable is on 2 and in fact is on the neighbouring slot. I always check it with a tester. How does the telephone (wall) socket look? You use a filter/splitter? Are you sure that analog signal in the wall socket corresponds to "2&3"? Take away the RJ11 TELEPHONE connector - only leave DSL RJ11 connected. Then do the same with the telephone RJ11. Observed result in both cases?

Thank you for you reply.
I think my cabling is right even though I did not check it separatly or with tester. Problem is now that even without dsl/tel cable in the FB when I pick up phone that is connected to the FON1/FON2/FON3 FB locks up and restarts...
Going to try recovery tonight again... wish me luck

Hi poops1975,

as you didn't tell us what country you are from, it's really hard to help you!
Maybe it might be a wrong configuration within the phone-section of the Fritz!Box. :noidea:

Joe

Hi Joe_57

I'm in Ireland...

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
poops1975: Please avoid your fullquotes.
Thanks

even without dsl/tel cable in the FB when I pick up phone that is connected to the FON1/FON2/FON3 FB locks up and restarts...

Looks as if Joe_57 would be right. Your box seems to be a V1 (one socket for three analog telephone connections) -V1 generally are less firm than the V2. If you're lucky the problem might be "only" firmware related and you can fix it with a RECOVER (repeat it several times if necessary)- if not...... wish you luck anyway!

imagomundi,

I managed to recover the box. and now can supply info you were asking before (not through ftp but telnet):

firmware_version: 29.04.57

firmware_info (ENTER) ???

HWRevision: 94

annex: B A (in one place it's B in another B)

At this stage:
FB is up and running. I made up 3 cables
- cable1: FB side pins RJ45 3&6 other side RJ11 2&3 (for testing analog only)
- cable2: FB side pins RJ45 4&5 other side RJ11 2&3 (for testing dsl only)
- cable3: FB side pins RJ45 3&6 other side RJ11 2&3,FB side pins RJ45 4&5 other side RJ11 2&3 (for testing both analog and dsl)
My phone is connected to the FON1 port.

So,

when i have cable1 connected I can make phone calls through fixed line.

when i have cable2 connected my internet working perfect but if I pick up the phone FB locks up (fixed line&internet indicators light up at the same time) and then (after about 10 sec) FB restarts.

if i use cable 3 same situation occurs as with cable 2

Also, any idea why I can not connect to FB FTP? Maybe it is disabled somehow? if so how to enable it?

Thanks very much

just an update...
I have reset it back to annexB and have my internet trhough LAN1 insted of dsl.
everything is working... BUT still why I'm not able to convert properly into annex A so I can use dsl? And why I can not connect to ftp?

Thanks to everyone...

firmware_version: 29.04.57

firmware_info (ENTER) ???

HWRevision: 94

annex: B A (in one place it's B in another B)

This is strange: firmware_version should say "avme" and firmware_info should say 29.04.57.

I think the cause for this mixup is that you used "..avme_new.tar" instead of "....avme_newer.tar". The script "inside" new.tar says "echo "firmware_version avme" > /proc/avalanche/env" but the newer.tar contains this AND alternatively (for boxes with fw higher than 04.30)
"echo "firmware_version avme" > /proc/sys/urlader/environment" You can easily see the differences between both which are due to the fact that avm changed the LINUX kernel for their firmwares at fw 04.30 (concerns ALL boxes) from 2.4 to 2.6 and restructured the whole flash memory area!!
SO to remember for all who read this thread: You can always use "newer.tar" -even for older boxes
(unless they are really very old = fw under 04....)but the use of "..new.tar" can cause serious problems on boxes with fw higher than 04.30!!

HWRevision is ok. In fact there is only ONE number (94) for ALL types of 7170. This makes it virtually rather easy to do changes on this box.

As to annex: As the box was "born" as "B" it will always say "annex = B" and if you successfully changed the modem working mode to work with an analog line (A) instead of ISDN or digital (B) in "kernel_args annex" it will say "A". I suppose this is also the case in your box. So the only strange showing is firmware_version and firmware_info. Try to enter by TELNET:

echo "firmware_version avme" > proc/sys/urlader/environment

and

echo "firmware_info 29.04.57" > proc/sys/urlader/environment

At this stage:
I made up 3 cables

As long as you don't answer the question how (splitter - filter or whatsoever you have in Ireland - Europe is really far from being united in this) the two RJ11 are connected on "the other side" to dsl/telephone I can't really evaluate the cable question.

Therefore at this stage I can only say that FRITZ side cables in RJ45 are connecting

-3 & 6 to transport analog telephone signal (this is why your cable 1 works)
and
-4 & 5 transport dsl signal into the box

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM HOW YOU CONNECT physically TO DSL JACK ON PROVIDER SIDE! So describe exactly how your two RJ 11 connect to the public line

Try to enter by TELNET:
echo "firmware_version avme" > proc/sys/urlader/environment
and
echo "firmware_info 29.04.57" > proc/sys/urlader/environment
done

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM HOW YOU CONNECT physically TO DSL JACK ON PROVIDER SIDE! So describe exactly how your two RJ 11 connect to the public line

My phone socket has double rj11, dsl filter is built-in. One RJ11 socket for dsl one for analog. Physically phone signal is transfered by 2 wires (am I right here?) and thouse 2 are in the middle of RG11 plug.
So please read the stage about my 3 cables....
this is just very strange.... dsl(internet) on it's own working perfect, dialing number trough FB using fixed line while no dsl connected is fine as well....
but together.......I'm nearlly sorry at this stage that I didn't buy proper device...

Thanks

Could you post the first lines of your support data file. Enter "http://fritz.box/html/support.html" into your browser.This will produce a txt.file which you can open with a normal text editor (wordpad) and you will see data lines like these (from my 7270)

HWRevision 139.1.0.6
ProductID Fritz_Box_7270_16
SerialNumber 0000000000000000
annex B
autoload yes
bootloaderVersion 1.455
bootserport tty0
cpufrequency 360000000
firstfreeaddress 0x946BD89C
firmware_version avm
firmware_info 54.04.59
flashsize 0x01000000
jffs2_size 126
kernel_args annex=A

Post the data up to "kernel_args annex" here.

this is just very strange.... dsl(internet) on it's own working perfect, dialing number trough FB using fixed line while no dsl connected is fine as well....
but together.......I'm nearlly sorry at this stage that I didn't buy proper device...

The mixup happens either in the FB modem part (this is why you don't have problem connecting FB to dsl through Lan - modem is deactivated in this configuration) and could well have been caused through erroneous "tar" file or it happens physically inside your telephone socket where either the two cable pairs are not properly separated or the filter doesn't work properly. At least these are some of my theories. Can you get another phone socket with filter - so maybe we could exclude that the problem resides there.

As to your last comment: You HAVE a proper device - which unfortunately was not properly treated from the very beginning. I have changed (annex, firmware, language etc.) more than a dozen different kinds of FB and they all work "properly" in annex A environment.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.