Ok, i can understand your concerns, I also had them at first, but I was told that You can not seen the sourcecode of a PHP-Page, because when you connect to the webserver and ask for a php-page, the server runs the PHP-Code by the the Php-interpreter, which generates the HTML-Output(As long as PHP ist activated, otherwise you can see it, because it is treated as a textfile). So there for it is ok to check it this way, i think.
I have made some Tests today and i have to says that I judged to soon, but let us start from the top.
[Test: Stunnel + Pop]
STunnel-Config:
Code:
[gmail-pop3s]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:1109
connect = pop.gmail.com:995
Checkmail-Config:
Code:
POP-Server: 127.0.0.1:1109
Name: **
PW: **
Result:
I discibed how the POP-Server from gmail worked befor. And Checkmail sees all messages (does not matter whether old or new) as new messages, which are inside the Pop-Server. So after recieving them with Thunderbird(for examble) they aren't anymore inside the Gmail-Popserver and Checkmail notices that there are no mail anymore
-> Works for all, who recieve their Mail normals via POP (for example with thunderbird or outlook).
[Test: Stunnel + Imap]
STunnel-Config
Code:
[gmail-imaps]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:1110
connect = imap.gmail.com:993
Checkmail-Config:
Code:
Imap-Server: 127.0.0.1:1110
Name: **
PW: **
Result:
Here is where I judged to soon.
At first checkmail recieves all mails as new (this can take a while with 500 mails

) and the LED starts to blink, but when checkmail checks again for new mails it notices that all mails are read. And the LED stops blinking. (I know, before I said it won't, but I had not waited long enough) When I have recieved a new mail checkmail recognizes this and after i marked it as seen the LED stops blinking.
So this is like it should.
(But during my test I had problems with that, after restarting checkmail, because after some restarts checkmail didn't recognized that the mail are marked as seen, but after a reboot(of the box) it worked)
-> This is the possibility for all, who recieve their mail through IMAP or the Webinterface.
So i will test it a bit longer to see how it reacts in the long run, but i hope it will be ok
will be studying th freepops method...
How exactly will you use freepops to check for new mails? Because I think it is not possible to use the normal gmail extension, because freepops provides a pop access to gmail, but as I said befor, checkmail(as any other mailclient) can not differentiate between read und unread mail through the pop-protokoll, because this is not part of the pop-protocol. So checkmail will see all your mails and treat them as new -> blinking LED
So you will have to wirte a new extension, which only puts new Mail(from the webinterface) into the pop3folder.