Converting a German targeted Fritz!Box Fon Wlan to an International version

jvmkite schrieb:
has any one managed to convert the 7140 from ANNEX B to ANNEX A?

I own a 7050, also converted from Annex B German to Annex A Inglish.

After my sussess my brother also got one, this time a 7140. We had alot of problems with the convertion, it took several weeks trying several convertion methods, posting experiences in blogs like this one. At the end we got susscess. There is a way to do it.

I know that we had to force the firmware with a file that we received from a person that claimed that had sussess (at first we got aor doughts, but at the end as payed off). The process needs to force charging a file with TFTP (not regulary FTP - File Transfer Protocol, instead is an inverted server client process). Trivial FTP, is what it means, and you have to install a small TFTP server on your PC and then run a client TFTP command on the Fritz box.

From what I understood my as done:
1 - Install a TFTP server on a PC connected to the fritz LAN A, put the new firmware file in the tftp server.
2 - Telnet to the fritz box, and run the command

I'll ask my brother to post here the all process to do it, and also the file need.

My advice before you decide to do it yourself if you are not familiar with this kind of unix procedures. Ask, and ask again before you feel confident to try it out. In the meanwile, dig (search) in this blog for "7140 and TFTP" it could pay off some information (don't forget to search also the net, there is some cool Italian WEB Sites with alot of information.

Best Regards

João Vaz Martins

PS: if you do not understand German or any other language, use a translator like the Babelfish in www.altavista.com. It helps.

thenk you. i will wate for posting the all process.

Could not check the partition mtd1! WinError -4

Hi,
I have a German Fritz! Box Fon WLAN 7050.
First, I only wanted to run the recovery from the original CD (because after testing the telnet I got that red annoying message on the web interface).
It didn't work, so the lights were blinking all-over my box.
I considered it a good occasion to change the language into English (Annex B).
But when it's about to recover, I get the following:

===
Searching FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 at: 192.168.178.1
One system found! - Detecting the current version.
Version successfully detected!
Hardware: FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050
Bootstrap: 1203
Firmware: 14.04.26
Flash area (mtd1)
Deleting flash area (mtd1)
Restoring flash area (mtd1)
Checking flash area (mtd1)
===

The ftp part works OK, and I can see the changes right away. I used:
===
quote SETENV annex B
quote SETENV HWRevision 76
quote SETENV ProductID Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexB
quote SETENV firmware_version avme
quote SETENV firmware_info 14.04.26
===

As it appears, the Deleting and Restoring parts are working. (?!?)
But it fails on Checking part:
==
Checking flash area (mtd1)
==

I did all the tricks from #167, plus:
- tried more than 30 times
- using 2 different PCs
- using 2 different short cables (including the red one)
- using different IPs (192.168.178.XXX -> XXX=10-50)
- arp -d (every time)

I don't know if I need it, but I'm not able to activate telnet via phone either.
To sumarize, my Box is totally unusable now.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!

itache schrieb:
WinError -4

I did all the tricks from #167, plus:
- tried more than 30 times
- using 2 different PCs
- using 2 different short cables (including the red one)
- using different IPs (192.168.178.XXX -> XXX=10-50)
- arp -d (every time)

Tell me a bit more about your PCs and LAN-Adapters. Did you set up 10 MBps Half Duplex? Any routers or firewalls involved?

Working 7050 Annex A / English

Hi there.
Glad this forum exists... I was able to use the methods here to change a Fritz!Box 7050 from Annex B to Annex A & then to English. Its a good router and simple, but now I have moved up to a full Asterisk Server and no longer need this router.. If anyone wants it, just let me know.

Thanks again to everyone here.

John in Barcelona
[email protected]

I must thanks andersks hor his help.
With his post 203 he help me easy ly to change my 7050 from DE Anex B into ENG Anex A.
I was try again and again to connect to my fbf through ftp unsuccesfully. When I followed his simply instruction with telnet i succeed
Thank you again andersks

telefonicus schrieb:
I did it this way:

I assume you have a Windows-XP PC. If not, ask a friend.

Connect your PC to the Fritzbox via the Ethernet (LAN cable) and set the IP address of your PC's LAN adapter to 192.168.178.XXX (XXX between 003 and 253), the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway interface to 192.168.178.1 (if it doesn't work after several trials try 192.168.178.2)
IMPORTANT:
*Set your LAN adapter to 10 Mbit/s Half Duplex.
*Make sure your LAN adapter has a fixed IP address, e.g. 192.168.178.10
*Disable any IP-filtering or firewall
*Diasble any other LAN adapters
*Make sure you are accessing the LAN directly (not through an application software)
*Use a short LAN cable! AVM recommends to use the red LAN cable for firmware updates/recoveries.

Start the recovery program first hand (see below) and follow the instructions. It will fail but it will establish a steady connection to the Fritzbox. Do not disconnect the power supply ever after.

Open a "COMMAND" console window (aka "DOS window") and enter the following instruction:

ftp 192.168.178.1 (or use the IP found by the recovery Program)

Now you see the FTP login prompt. Enter "adam2" as user and password.

220 ADAM2 FTP Server ready.

530 Please login with USER and PASS.
USER adam2
331 Password required for adam2.
PASS adam2
230 User adam2 successfully logged in.

If the Fritzbox does not react to the ftp command enter CTRL-C to cancel it and retry. If it doesn't work at all retry the recovery program.

Now enter the following commands

for the standard Fritz!Box Fon WLAN model:
quote SETENV annex,A
quote SETENV HWRevision,66
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_WLAN
quote SETENV firmware_version,avme
quote SETENV firmware_info,08.04.26

for the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 model:
quote SETENV annex,A
quote SETENV HWRevision,77
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexA
quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.26

Changing to Annex B would be respectively:
quote SETENV annex,B
quote SETENV HWRevision,76
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexB
quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.15

You can copy and paste all 4 lines at once. Use the right-hand mouse button to paste. Enter "bye" when you're done (you can even include the login sequence and the bye command. Enter the whole batch of commands including the recovery in one step). The box will only reboot if the recovery program finishes successfully, otherwise it will stay connected to Adam2.

Now run the recovery program, e.g. the one from ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox...n_wlan_7050.annexa.en.04.26.recover-image.exe from AVM (ask me if it's no longer there).

=*= W A R N I N G =*= DO NOT UPGRADE TO VERSION 4.30 OR HIGHER !!! =*= W A R N I N G =*=

Enter fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.annexa.en.04.26.recover-image.exe at your command console (first make the program location your working directory using the cd command). If anything goes wrong just repeat it (up to 10 times, keep the power supply connected). You'll see the progress step by step.

Have fun!

(updated 10.04.2007)

Hallo Boardis,
ich hatte Probleme mit meiner alten Fritzbox 7050, ein Freund der sehr viel Ahnung hat empfahl mir eine neue Firmeware zu installieren da die alte 14.04.04 fehlerhaft sei.

Nach der AVM Anleitung versuchte ich die fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.04.15.recover-image.exe, leider kam folgender Fehler:

Code:
FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 (UI), Firmware-Version 14.04.04

FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 suchen an: 192.168.178.2
Eine Anlage gefunden! - Ermitteln der aktuellen Version.
Version erfolgreich ermittelt!
    Hardware:	FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050
    Urlader:	99
    Firmware:	14.04.04
Flashbereich (mtd1)
    Lösche	Flashbereich (mtd1)
    Restauriere	Flashbereich (mtd1)
    Überprüfe	Flashbereich (mtd1)
    Erfolgreich
Flashbereich (mtd0)
    Lösche	Flashbereich (mtd0)
    Restauriere	Flashbereich (mtd0)
[B]Recover der Partition mtd0 fehlgeschlagen! WinError -3[/B]

Er empfahl mir dann die ganz oben genannten Schritte von telefonicus, die auch super funktionierten, siehe hier:

Code:
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Susi>ftp 192.168.178.1
Verbindung mit 192.168.178.1 wurde hergestellt.
220 ADAM2 FTP Server ready.
Benutzer (192.168.178.1:(none)): adam2
331 Password required for adam2.
Kennwort:
230 User adam2 successfully logged in.
ftp>  quote SETENV annex,A
200 SETENV command successful
ftp> quote SETENV HWRevision,77
ftp> quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexA
ftp> quote SETENV firmware_version,avme
ftp> quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.26
ftp> bye
221-Thank you for using the FTP service on ADAM2.
221 Goodbye.

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Susi>

Danach führte ich wie beschrieben fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.annexa.en.04.26.recover-image.exe aus.

Leider kam dabei auch wieder ein Fehler:
Code:
Searching FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 (Annex A) at: 192.168.178.1
One system found! - Detecting the current version.
Version successfully detected!
    Hardware:	FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 (Annex A)
    Bootstrap:	111
    Firmware:	14.04.26
Flash area (mtd1)
    Deleting	flash area (mtd1)
    Restoring	flash area (mtd1)
    Checking	flash area (mtd1)
    Successful
Flash area (mtd0)
    Deleting	flash area (mtd0)
    Restoring	flash area (mtd0)
[B]Could not recover the partition mtd0! WinError -3[/B]

:(

So wie ich das verstanden ist meine 7050 jetzt eine englische Fritzbox (war eigentlichen nicht so gedacht). Und der Fehler bleibt auch :heul:

Beim ausführen der normalen deutschen fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.04.15.recover-image.exe kommt natürlich auch ein Fehler:

FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 suchen an: 192.168.178.2
Eine Anlage gefunden! - Ermitteln der aktuellen Version.
Version erfolgreich ermittelt!
Hardware: FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 (Annex A)
Urlader: 111
Firmware: 14.04.26
Firmware der FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 (Annex A) ist mit der Recover-Firmware inkompatibel

Meine Fragen an Euch:

WIE BEKOMME ICH DIE FRITZBOX WIEDER DEUTSCH?
und
Wie bekomme ich den WinErrorfehler dann weg
, ich bin jetzt ziemlich eingeschüchtert :noidea:

Liebe Grüße
Skepsis

telefonicus schrieb:
for the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 model:
quote SETENV annex,A
quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.26

Suppose I want to go back to the German version. Which values should the above variables have then? (I mean, what were they originally)

Thanks!

Edward Velo schrieb:
...back to the German version. Which values should the above variables have then?

Annex B German

quote SETENV annex,B
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_FON_2_WLAN
quote SETENV firmware_version,1und1

Annex A German

quote SETENV annex,A
quote SETENV firmware_version,avm

telefonicus schrieb:
Annex B German

quote SETENV annex,B
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_FON_2_WLAN
quote SETENV firmware_version,1und1

Is this for the 7050? (the productID seems strange)

Thanks.

Fritz_Box_FON_2_WLAN

ja, das ist die 7050

Thanks so much for creating this thread and collating all this information in english - it really helps when your 'deutschsprachige' is as poor as mine :)

I'm keen on converting a German bought Annex B fritz!box for operation in the UK on my 8Mbps rate-adaptive ADSL over POTS connection. I wish to replace my current DSL modem, wlan router and also introduce voip into my setup. Hopefully I will be bale to recoup all the money spent on the fritzbox from the sale of the above items.

Can someone confirm that the converted Fritz!box retains all features present with the German firmware?

I'm also interested in the stated performance issues with Annex B hardware operating on an Annex A network. Is there other evidence of the drop in performance? Will I really have to put up with a >50% drop in link speed and random disconnections?

I would be keen on getting the faster cpu of a 7140 or a 7141 by converting these to Annex A operation. Are there any other hardware benefits of the 714* fritzbox's over the 7050, particularly in terms of DSL signal quality? I do live pretty close to my exchange and have always got a very good speed with my british DSL hardware.

I know there's a lot of questions here but just try and answer the ones you know ;-)

thanks,
Alasdair

murkle schrieb:
Hopefully I will be bale to recoup all the money spent on the fritzbox from the sale of the above items.
That could be good, because I ended up spending more money on voip equipment, than I could ever save on phonecosts ;-)

murkle schrieb:
Can someone confirm that the converted Fritz!box retains all features present with the German firmware?
The German firmware gets more updates and features than the International one, but the differences are minor. The International firmware is usually a bit behind (.26 compared to .33 for the moment).

You have three options:

- put an Annex A ethernet modem in front of the Fritz!box. This way nothing needs to be patched (warranty still valid), your modem is specific for your local phonesystem, and you can have all the German updates

- apply the annex A patch, so you can still have all the German updates with maybe a bit less performance (see below) and somwhat more difficult way to update the firmware

- flash the Fritz!box completely to English and annex A, in case you are not comfortable with the German webinterface

murkle schrieb:
I'm also interested in the stated performance issues with Annex B hardware operating on an Annex A network. Is there other evidence of the drop in performance? Will I really have to put up with a >50% drop in link speed and random disconnections?
I wouldn't worry about that too much, especially since you are close to the exchange. Some people indeed say that the hardware is somewhat different, but personally I don't notice much speed difference (having tried an International 7050, German 7050, German 7050 with annex A patch, and German 7050 with English firmware). They all have a very stable and fast connection.

murkle schrieb:
I would be keen on getting the faster cpu of a 7140 or a 7141 by converting these to Annex A operation. Are there any other hardware benefits of the 714* fritzbox's over the 7050, particularly in terms of DSL signal quality? I do live pretty close to my exchange and have always got a very good speed with my british DSL hardware.?
Hmmm, I didn't even know the 71xx had a faster CPU :) The benefit of the 71xx range is the USB hosting. Don't know if there are any xDSL differences. The 7170 gets frequent updates, and also public beta firmware with new features (see http://www.avm.de/de/Service/Service-Portale/Service-Portal/Labor/labor.php )

Personally I would go for the ISDN versions (7050 or 7170), because using an ISDN phone is really very convenient for for instance conference calls, call divert, and so on - and the Fritz!box supports it quite well (you can even use an ISDN phone to call over your analogue line!). Also, when dialling out, the ISDN phone display adapts dynamically to the provider used (so you know which one is being used, according to the dialrules).

Succes!

The international version of the 7170 is starting to be sold as we speak.
Using the dailing rules and telephone-features of the box give you just about the same possibilities as being stated above in favor of ISDN while the analogue phones are much cheaper

see http://www.fritzbox.eu/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN/index.php

Edward Velo schrieb:
That could be good, because I ended up spending more money on voip equipment, than I could ever save on phonecosts ;-)

Consolidating my hardware and saving money is a must for this project. Otherwise my girlfriend might leave me...

Edward Velo schrieb:
You have three options:

- put an Annex A ethernet modem in front of the Fritz!box. This way nothing needs to be patched (warranty still valid), your modem is specific for your local phonesystem, and you can have all the German updates

- apply the annex A patch, so you can still have all the German updates with maybe a bit less performance (see below) and somwhat more difficult way to update the firmware

- flash the Fritz!box completely to English and annex A, in case you are not comfortable with the German webinterface

I'd be keen on the English interface, at least until I pick up more of your language. Now to decide whether to go for Annex A and sell my modem or Annex B and have to keep it.

Edward Velo schrieb:
I wouldn't worry about that too much, especially since you are close to the exchange. Some people indeed say that the hardware is somewhat different, but personally I don't notice much speed difference (having tried an International 7050, German 7050, German 7050 with annex A patch, and German 7050 with English firmware). They all have a very stable and fast connection.

That's good to hear!

Edward Velo schrieb:
Hmmm, I didn't even know the 71xx had a faster CPU :) The benefit of the 71xx range is the USB hosting. Don't know if there are any xDSL differences. The 7170 gets frequent updates, and also public beta firmware with new features (see http://www.avm.de/de/Service/Service-Portale/Service-Portal/Labor/labor.php )
I think the 7050 runs at 150Mhz while the 71xx range run at 212Mhz. I'd forgotten about the USB hosting, I definitely want to have that as an option.

Edward Velo schrieb:
Personally I would go for the ISDN versions (7050 or 7170), because using an ISDN phone is really very convenient for for instance conference calls, call divert, and so on - and the Fritz!box supports it quite well (you can even use an ISDN phone to call over your analogue line!). Also, when dialling out, the ISDN phone display adapts dynamically to the provider used (so you know which one is being used, according to the dialrules).

So ISDN phone will take advantage of more features of the FritzBox (or at least in a more convenient way?) And they would retain these features when connecting to my POTS landline?

Edward Velo schrieb:
Let's hope so! :)

fritsv schrieb:
The international version of the 7170 is starting to be sold as we speak.
Using the dailing rules and telephone-features of the box give you just about the same possibilities as being stated above in favor of ISDN while the analogue phones are much cheaper

see http://www.fritzbox.eu/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN/index.php

I was under the impression I could plug a POTS/analogue phone into the German versions, do they only accept ISDN telephones??

murkle schrieb:
So ISDN phone will take advantage of more features of the FritzBox (or at least in a more convenient way?)
I think all features can be done from an analogue phone as well, but they work just much more convenient on for instance a Tiptel 195 ISDN phone.

Of course, an ISDN phone is much more expensive, so if you are doing this project to save money, then it's of course better to continue to use your analogue phones.

murkle schrieb:
And they would retain these features when connecting to my POTS landline?
Hmmm, depends if your POTS provider supports the features (called-id, conference calls, ...). But most SIP providers do.

murkle schrieb:
at least until I pick up more of your language.
Just for the record, German is also not my language. I am a Belgian, see the national flag on the left :)

murkle schrieb:
I was under the impression I could plug a POTS/analogue phone into the German versions, do they only accept ISDN telephones??
You can use analogue phones without any problem. Just be aware that you'll get a German dialtone and a German ringtone, and possibly your caller-id is not working if the UK system is different.

was under the impression I could plug a POTS/analogue phone into the German versions, do they only accept ISDN telephones??

Yes you can, however I was talking about the international version which has different hardware [modem especially] and is made to plug into amongst others the BT system [hardware is Annex A]

Edward Velo schrieb:
Hmmm, depends if your POTS provider supports the features (called-id, conference calls, ...). But most SIP providers do.

Yeah they are all supported on my POTS line.

Edward Velo schrieb:
Just for the record, German is also not my language. I am a Belgian, see the national flag on the left :)

Maybe not the first time somebody has confused the flags in haste.. really sorry about that Edward :)

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.