Converting a German targeted Fritz!Box Fon Wlan to an International version

Caller ID Time One Hour Fast

Hi, I have got my German branded 7050 to work okay via my Analogue Phone and DSL (this message is sent via it).

I can sort of cope with the menus in German (but can't speak it etc, sorry), but the system time is an hour fast.

Via telnet and env I see
Language='de'
Country='049'

Are these the values that need to be corrected to get the time and country correct?

If yes how?

I have tried set Country='044' but this seems to do nothing :(

Please can someone help?

Many Thanks

HummerUK

Getting a 7050 to english is not far away I hope.

With the time I am currently asking the same question. here is the latest thread which I started about this http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=102131

The box uses an NTP server to update the time every four hours. I believe that in the ar7.cfg you will find Name "0.europe.pool.ntp.org"

I thought that a simple change of this would work, but that is as far as I have taken it. The box is not with me (germany) but in Australia.

I think the other method (or the problem with just doing the above) is to then in the box change how it deals with the time that it gets from the above NTP server.

This is I THINK what was explained to me in the next thread. And I assume what is necessary here is to change the TZ. In your case you just need to remove the "-1" I think.

From your post it seems like you know your way around with telnet so let me know how you get on. Also be doing and search with "ntp" or "uhrzeit" in the AVM forum might give you something to translate. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Trouble with debug.cfg

Well I have found UK boxes should have the following date information....

OEM='avme'
Language='en'
Country='044'
TZ='WET-0WEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0'

I can set these all to correct in the telnet session so date returns the correct UK date but cannot access debug.cfg
However when I quit telnet the changes are lost :(

debug.cfg is listed by lsl -l

# ls -l
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 113 Apr 25 15:38 ar7.cfg
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 141 Sep 8 2002 calllog
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 98 Sep 8 2002 debug.cfg
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 132 Sep 8 2002 fx_cg
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 129 Sep 8 2002 fx_conf
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 99 Sep 8 2002 fx_def
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 130 Sep 8 2002 fx_lcr
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 131 Sep 8 2002 fx_moh
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 112 Sep 8 2002 multid.leas
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 117 Sep 8 2002 net.update
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 116 Sep 8 2002 stat.cfg
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 133 Sep 8 2002 telefon_mis
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 114 Sep 8 2002 voip.cfg
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 118 Sep 8 2002 vpn.cfg
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 250, 115 Sep 8 2002 wlan.cfg
#

But I cannot chnage or list contents. This I can only assume is a rights issue?

Any thoughts?

HummerUK.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Here is a translation for what I have got in German.

You need to make an addition to /var/flash/debug.cfg

Code:
killall telefon
voipd -s
multid -s
TZ="WET-0WEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0"
multid
sleep 1
voipd
telefon

You get there with
Code:
# nvi /var/flash/debug.cfg

After that the file will be shown in Editor. "G" to go to the end. "A" for append/attach. Press "RETURN" and put the Lines from above with Cut and Past in the Telnet window. Then "RETURN", "ESC" and "ZZ" two capital Z's. Check with "more /var/flash/debug.cfg" again just to make sure the file is ok.

Edit: This comes from Gandalf who is a moderator so if i have translated it wrong I am sure he will pick me up on it.

The Problem with the above is after you modify the /var/flash/debug.cfg file as above when you reset the box it defaults back to CET/CEST. So the change in the debug.cfg files does not seem to have an effect on a reboot.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
The trouble I seem to have is with the debug.cfg

I get the following error

#
cat: /var/flash/debug.cfg: No such file or directory
#

Thus I can't change it :(

HummerUK

HummerUK schrieb:
The trouble I seem to have is with the debug.cfg

I get the following error

#
cat: /var/flash/debug.cfg: No such file or directory
#

Thus I can't change it :(

HummerUK

Sorry buddy I am just the translator here I know nothing about linux and have played with telnet and the Editor once or twice. I am doing it on a german fritzbox classic but I do not think that would make a difference. Oh Ps I am not actually doing it I am translating what I get here on the forum and sending it to a friend in Australia. So I do not actually have the box here to see what happens.

Changes Needed To Default Env Variables

I have been looking at the .tar files used to turn the unit into a Annex A version.

I have to tried to edit but no luck :(

e.g.

#! /bin/sh
INSTALL_SUCCESS_REBOOT=1
INSTALL_OTHER_ERROR=6

LED_DEVICE=/proc/led_mod/led
if [ ! -f /proc/led_mod/led ] ; then
LED_DEVICE=/var/led
echo "set led: ${LED_DEVICE}"
fi
##################################################################################
# Power LED blinken lassen
##################################################################################
echo "set INFO led to blink (modul=7, state=4)"
echo 7,4>${LED_DEVICE}

PROVIDER=avm
######################
if [ ! -d /usr/www/$PROVIDER ]
then
echo 7,1>${LED_DEVICE}
/sbin/reboot &
exit $INSTALL_OTHER_ERROR
fi

# Box auf $PROVIDER setzen
echo "firmware_version $PROVIDER" > /proc/avalanche/env
echo "TZ=WET-0WEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0" > /proc/avalanche/env

echo 'echo $0: done' >/var/post_install
chmod +x /var/post_install
echo "set INFO led to blink (modul=7, state=4)"
echo 7,4>${LED_DEVICE}
exit $INSTALL_SUCCESS_REBOOT

Not sure if the = should be between the TZ and WET but no luck either way :(

When I try my update the box loses DSL till a manual reboot (Power Light on only).

I'm not sure if this is the right approach and I just making a poor tar file or the variables have to be set another way.

Any thoughts?

HummerUK

Noooo !

First: those files are never designed to be edited nor to contain these settings !
This can crash the box and make a paperweight.

Second: You have to edit the debug.cfg like described.
( Also this can create a paper...)

Haveaniceday

Some Progress

First I must thank you all four your help...

ls -l listed it seems a zero byte debug.cfg which is what confused me :(

As suggested I used the following command to make a valid empty file that nvi would open.
echo > /var/flash/debug.cfg

Then to load nvi and edit the file
nvi /var/flash/debug.cfg
Press i for insert

enter text without any mistakes :)

killall telefon
voipd -s
multid -s
TZ="WET-0WEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0"
multid
sleep 1
voipd
telefon

Press Escape ZZ to save file

check file contents are correct with (which lists the file contents)

more /var/flash/debug.cfg

If correct restart the box with
/sbin/reboot
However, if incorrect either try to edit or start a fresh with
echo > /var/flash/debug.cfg which will delete the file contents.

What also confused me is that this only seems to correct the caller ID time and call log time while the rest of the unit (including telnet) are still in CET.
Is this because the webservice is not restarted?

I also am hoping for a release of a UK software very soon....

HummerUK

7050 On Sale In UK

As mentioned earlier in the thread the question was ask why not get a UK model rather than trying to convert a German model.

Well I have found one company in the UK that claims to sell the 7050 in the UK for £199.00 (286 Euros).

This is twice the price you can get a German version delivered to the UK via ebay.

The UK website is http://www.skypehandsets.com should anyone want to order.

HummerUK

HummerUK schrieb:
What also confused me is that this only seems to correct the caller ID time and call log time while the rest of the unit (including telnet) are still in CET.
Is this because the webservice is not restarted?
I also had mixed results. It is simply a mess. How can AVM sell an english box or a German Box for that matter in counties with different time zones and not even allow it to alter the time.
HummerUK schrieb:
I also am hoping for a release of a UK software very soon....HummerUK
I understand the beta for the 7050 will fix this problem. There is no english beta nor a beta for the FBF Wlan so it is yet to be seen if all boxes will get this new "feature" necessity.

HummerUK schrieb:
As mentioned earlier in the thread the question was ask why not get a UK model rather than trying to convert a German model.
Well I have found one company in the UK that claims to sell the 7050 in the UK for £199.00 (286 Euros).
This is twice the price you can get a German version delivered to the UK via ebay.
The UK website is http://www.skypehandsets.com should anyone want to order. HummerUK
Plus it is so much fun playing with something you have no experience about, breaking it and then sitting there translating german and waiting for someone on the Forum to help you, wake her up again.:cool:

HummerUK schrieb:

Has anybody bought one so we can copy the english firmware or the user interface?

Callmanager For Fritz Box In English

http://home.in.tum.de/~jensen/projects/projects_en.shtml has a java download which allows you to play with your call list etc on your Fritz Box from your PC.

Worked 1st time for me and under options you can change the language from German to English.

Still no luck finding English firmware for the 7050 :(

HummerUK.

Cannot Load Latest German Beta Software...

I see a new release of firmware is out for testing 14.04.05-3711

My box at current has version 14.04.03-3452 loaded.

When I try to load the new one I am just returned to the FRITZ!Box Anlagensoftware (Firmware) page with the left panel list of items gone.

Only option left is to reboot the box :(

Is this because of the modified config file or do I have to do something else?

Many Thanks

HummerUK

Still No Luck

I have tried to edit the install file in the firmware upgrade replacing B with A for the ANNEX variable but no luck :(

I am editing the install file on a windows PC rather than on unix / linux and was wondering if that may be a problem?

I have also used 7 Zip to update the install file in the tar also not sure if this is okay http://www.7-zip.org ?

My box is still okay but would like to find out why I cannot upgrade the firmware anymore.

I also tried removing all entries from the debug.cfg but also no luck :(

Help!

Many Thanks

HummerUK

As nobody is answering you I thought I might give my two cents worth. You have played with the time settings of your box and maybe some other things. Try to first put the current german firmware on there. If that works then try the new beta firmware.

Don't use zip to unpack firmware

I am editing the install file on a windows PC rather than on unix / linux and was wondering if that may be a problem?

I have also used 7 Zip to update the install file in the tar also not sure if this is okay http://www.7-zip.org ?

Dit you unpacked the .tar files?

You shouldn't unpack firmware-files. You have to upgrade with the 'packed' file!!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Sorry to hijak this thread

I am cosidering purchasing a Fritz!bx fon wlan on Ebay and converting it to annex a and english . However I have not got adsl (on NTL cablemodem and linksys wireless router). Can I use the Fritzbox voip functionality without using the adsl modem ? i.e. can it be put behind my router . I will be changing to ADSL in 3-6 months :confused:

jimbo19 schrieb:
I am cosidering purchasing a Fritz!bx fon wlan on Ebay and converting it to annex a and english
I paid 60 euro for mine about 2 months ago plus sending costs. Yes you will get it to english. Yes it it possible that it will work with Annex A.
jimbo19 schrieb:
Can I use the Fritzbox voip functionality without using the adsl modem ? i.e. can it be put behind my router .
Yes this works too but for this you will not need to change the Annex.
jimbo19 schrieb:
I will be changing to ADSL in 3-6 months :confused:
ADSL works for me with Annex A. A new english firmware came out recently which gave the bbox better ability with ADSL2+ I could not get this firmware onto the box as yet. With out this firmware the box will still work with ADSL2+ but you might not get anything more than about 3meg downstream.

I will post a new thread shortly (prob this weekend for english people) which should have most of your questions answered.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.