Converting a German targeted Fritz!Box Fon Wlan to an International version

jcharwell schrieb:
Thanks rondunaway. It FINALLY worked. It did take quite a few trys. I eventually hooked it up to a new system that doesn't have much other stuff on it. I then followed everything carefully (even more so than before). It still took a few tries. I had a couple of other problems along the way. One was a message "could not recover mtd1" followed by a line that read "WinError 10060". The recover stopped at that point.

I tried again and the recover got a bit further. A few more times and it finally completed.

As you say, just keep at it.

Cheers & Thanks again

Thanks should be given to telefonicus for coming up with the procedure.

rondunaway schrieb:
Please follow the instructions in the post (link) below which is a different way to convert from annex A to B or B to A in either language (you need to adjust the commands and download the proper files depending which direction you go). I have used the instruction to go B German to A English and the reverse (visa versa) for a wlan 7050. It will also worked for my dead WLAN 7050 which would do nothing, but power light blinked.

If you are successful in recovering you dead fb thank telefonicus for developing the procedure.

http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showpost.php?p=690127&postcount=167

The problem is that when my LAN gets connected to FBox and I use on the command prompt ftp 192.168.178.1, or ftp 192.168.178.2 I do not get connected to the box but rather I am getting "unknown error"
if I run the file "fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.en.04.26.recover-image.exe " what I get is

One system found! - Detecting the current version.
Version successfully detected!
Hardware: FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 (Annex A)
Bootstrap: 97
Firmware: 10.04.01
FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 (Annex A) firmware is incompatible with the recovery firmware

Any ideas?

rondunaway schrieb:
Please follow the instructions in the post (link) below which is a different way to convert from annex A to B or B to A in either language (you need to adjust the commands and download the proper files depending which direction you go). I have used the instruction to go B German to A English and the reverse (visa versa) for a wlan 7050. It will also worked for my dead WLAN 7050 which would do nothing, but power light blinked.

If you are successful in recovering you dead fb thank telefonicus for developing the procedure.

http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showpost.php?p=690127&postcount=167

I've just used the recover file from the ftp site of AVM and it worked like a charm....everything ok now and I have an Annex A with the lattest version! Thanks

valou schrieb:
The problem is that when my LAN gets connected to FBox and I use on the command prompt ftp 192.168.178.1, or ftp 192.168.178.2 I do not get connected to the box but rather I am getting "unknown error"
if I run the file "fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.en.04.26.recover-image.exe " what I get is

FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 (Annex A) firmware is incompatible with the recovery firmware

Any ideas?

Hi, I also had the same problem as you with the recover file but then I got this file :"fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.en.04.26.recover-image" wich it is under the annex B tab, but it worked like a charm and the router ended up with annex A after the recovery. the Link for the ftp is : ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox.fon_wlan_7050/x_misc/english/annex b/

Good Luck

valou schrieb:

Any ideas?

Activate Show icon in notification area when connected by opening control panel then click network connections next right click Local Area Connection and select properties. Then check the Show icon notification area.... box. Also open a cmd prompt then type ftp then hit the enter key. Type open 192.168.178.1 (or 2). Restart the fb. When you see the balloon notice in the lower right hand corner of the screen indicating you have a connection press the enter key while in the cmd prompt. Try over and over b/c you have to start the ftp as soon as you see the first balloon notice.

Thanks to all who helped

rondunaway schrieb:
Activate Show icon in notification area when connected by opening control panel then click network connections next right click Local Area Connection and select properties. Then check the Show icon notification area.... box. Also open a cmd prompt then type ftp then hit the enter key. Type open 192.168.178.1 (or 2). Restart the fb. When you see the balloon notice in the lower right hand corner of the screen indicating you have a connection press the enter key while in the cmd prompt. Try over and over b/c you have to start the ftp as soon as you see the first balloon notice.

After many many trials it finally worked! Now I have new firmware and annex A.
Thanks to rondunaway for his assistance and especially telefonicus for developing the procedure

rondunaway schrieb:
The install script not only checks for english type but it checks the check sum against the checksum file that comes with the firmware (See code below from install script) It also checks for firmware version as seen by code below.
This is probably why you receive an error.

It may also do other checks that would prevent the install of the firmware. I will study the code further to see. My thoughts are possibly remove the checks from the install script......

mmmmmh, you might be right but when I first tried to run the update it complained about the FW version being newer on the box than the update, so I changed it to a lower number and this time it seems to pass the checks (and the FW version check is after the other checks in the script if I understand correctly ??!...) but
stopped with the error later on...

Before modifying the install script I tried to ftp the kernel.image manually and also that failed ....
so I wonder if it maybe has more to do with the files that are to be copied up... but that goes beyond my knowledge...

error Recover der Partition mtd1 fehlgeschlagen! WinError -3

telefonicus schrieb:
I did it this way:

Connect your PC to the Fritzbox via the Ethernet (LAN cable) and set the IP address of your PC's LAN adapter to 192.168.178.XXX (XXX between 003 and 253), the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway interface to 192.168.178.1 (if it doesn't work after several trials try 192.168.178.2)
IMPORTANT:
*Make sure your LAN adapter has a fixed IP address, e.g. 192.168.178.10
*Disable any IP-filtering or firewall
*Diasble any other LAN adapters
*Make sure you are accessing the LAN directly (not through an application software)

On your Windows XP PC open the "network connections" folder in one window and a "COMMAND" console ("DOS window") in another window. Enter the following instruction in the COMMAND console (do not press ENTER, just hold this comand line ready):

ftp 192.168.178.1

Now plug in the power supply and watch the network adapter status to change from "network cable removed" to "connection established" (3-4 seconds). That is exactly the time, when the ENTER key must be pressed.

Try and watch this change a few times before you press ENTER so you get a feeling for the time it takes. You may as well watch the LAN adapter symbol in the in the taskbar. This works with most WindowsXP installations but not with all.

If the Fritzbox does not react on the ftp command enter CTRL-C to cancel it and re-try the above with 192.168.178.2. If this doesn't work enter the "arp -d" command to clear the MAC table before starting ftp. Also, setting your LAN adapter to 10 Mbit/s Half Duplex may be a good idea (AVM recommends it). Repeat this a few times - use the arrow-up key to repeat command lines.

It is also a good idea to start the recovery program (see below) first. It won't work but it will scan the Ethernet connection and set up your LAN card the right way.

If you see the FTP login prompt enter "adam2" as user and password.

220 ADAM2 FTP Server ready.

530 Please login with USER and PASS.
USER adam2
331 Password required for adam2.
PASS adam2
230 User adam2 successfully logged in.

Now enter the following commands

for the standard Fritz!Box Fon WLAN model:
quote SETENV annex,A
quote SETENV HWRevision,66
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_WLAN
quote SETENV firmware_version,avme
quote SETENV firmware_info,08.04.26

for the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 model:
quote SETENV annex,A
quote SETENV HWRevision,77
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexA
quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.26

Changing to Annex B would be respectively:
quote SETENV annex,B
quote SETENV HWRevision,76
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexB
quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.15

You can copy and paste all 4 lines at once (you can even include the login sequence and the bye command). Use the right-hand mouse button to paste. Enter "bye" when you're done. Don't disconnect the power line, you are still connected to Adam2.

Now run the recovery program, e.g. the one from ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox...n_wlan_7050.annexa.en.04.26.recover-image.exe from AVM (ask me if it's no longer there).

Enter fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.annexa.en.04.26.recover-image.exe at your command console. If anything goes wrong just repeat it (up to 10 times, keep the power supply connected).

AVM recommends to use the red LAN cable for firmware updates/recoveries as it is quite short (and shielded).

BTW, you can start the recover-image.exe program from the command console. You can even copy and paste the whole batch of commands including the recovery in one step. Only if the recovery program finishes successfully the box will reboot, otherwise it will stay connected.

Have fun!

(updated 19.01.2007)
Hello!

Want to change language: German to English. Use the Fritz Box 7050 from 1und1.
use the following commands:

quote SETENV annex,A
quote SETENV HWRevision,77
quote SETENV ProductID,Fritz_Box_7050_AnnexA
quote SETENV firmware_info,14.04.26

than run fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.annexa.en.04.26.recover-image.exe

than i got this error message: "Recover der Partition mtd1 fehlgeschlagen! WinError -3"
What I did wrong? Please help :noidea:

Just don't mind. Try again. arp -d might help. Restart computer, try again. Try another computer.

telefonicus schrieb:
Just don't mind. Try again. arp -d might help. Restart computer, try again. Try another computer.

:confused: I tried 25 times..... but its always the same error.... tomorrow I will try another computer... thank you

Fritz box fon Wlan

Hi,

I had a German Firtz Box (Annex B) and have moved to Dubai I wish to use it for surfing.

It did not work and I have read these threads to change to Annex A.

I have done that and all seems fine my Mac can see the Fritz Box over Wlan but I cannot connect to the Internet.

Any Ideashttp://ting.ip-phone-forum.de/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

Many Thanks

Problem with Annex A

At me Fritz Box fon wlan 7050, bought in Germany, I use it for IP telephonies, having connected it to ADSL modem. Having read through your instruction on change annex B in annex A, has there and then established fritz_als_avm_annex_A_new.tar Language any arranges me
(On German and on English I write by means of PROMT) .в DSL-information has appeared annex A, but to be synchronized not Wants.firmware put fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.14.04.26 then has put More earlier 04.15 by means of fritz.box_fon_wlan_7050.04.15.recover-image, and the very first was 04.01, but I do not have now it, that to try. Problem in that
me Fritz Box connection does not work with ADSL2 . to a picture. Or I can Fritz Box cannot work independently with ADSL?

Anhänge

• 7050.bmp
    300.1 KB · Aufrufe: 34
english firmware for 7170?

sorry if this is already mentioned but this thread has gotten pretty big:

is there written any firmware for changing the german 7170 to an international version yet, with english interface?
(Annex B over ISDN)

yes it works

telefonicus schrieb:

thanks telefonicus..... I tried another computer and it worked perfect.

7170 similar to 7050/7140

by the way, if there is not made any firmware to make 7170 english.. can anyone confirm that the interface in 7170 is similar to 7050/7140?

7050 & 7140 have the same interface so if 7170 also has the same interface then one could use a German 7170 in Norway with the help of an english 7050 manual.

any other differences?

That is good to know, thanks mate.

Are there other differences between german & english/european Fritzboxes that I should be aware about?

We have Annex B here so if there are no other differences except the interface language I could definately use a german Annex B 7170 here in Norway, with the help of english 7050 manual :)

A friend wrote to AVM and got this reply:

"Please note that all German FRITZ!Box editions are solely intended for use
in Germany, because these devices rely on the presence of Annex B and the
standard UR-2. Hence operation at an Annex A line is definitely not
possible. If, however, your DSL line is of type Annex B, there is a slight
chance the device may successfully synchronise.

Generally, the only real differences between a German an international
editions are that only the international version supports codec G.729 and
that special national telephone network features can not be set on the
German FRITZ!Box."

I checked with a Norwegian VOIP provider and they support codec G729 but also G711A, which should be better.

Anyway I am planning to use Voip Stunt as my IP phone solution so as long as this does not interfere with the DSL, or other parts that should be no problem.

Opinions?

EDIT: we have Annex B over ISDN here in Norway

Fritz!Box supports Codecs G711A/U, G726, ilbc and the international version supports G729 additionally. So you will be able to use G711A as well.

Voipstunt can also be used with Fritz!Box (I use Poivy and Sipdiscount which belong to the same parent company called betamax).

There were also some reports in this forum that the box works perfectly in norway. So IMHO DSL should be no problem either.

thanks again, I have talked to a couple of ppl here in Norway who use Fritzbox here successfully but they have the international 7050/7140 model bought here in Norway so they are 'safe'.

Haven't spoken to anyone who has tested a German FB here in Norway tho, but since 7170 is not sold here I would have to get one from Germany and test myself.

If there are no other potential problems with a German 7170 for use in Norway I will go ahead and find one, it was only the comment from AVM "If, however, your DSL line is of type Annex B, there is a slight
chance the device may successfully synchronise." which made me a bit uncertain :)

Any other things I need to check out, please holler!

fritz box 7050 is working fine in Ukraine (Provider Ukrtelecom "OGO") with Annex A firmare.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.