Will Fritz!Box work in the U.S.?

MaLuBoB

Neuer User
Punkte für Reaktionen
Is the Fritz!Box capable of multi voltage settings? 110-230V? I would like to take this back to the states with me and use it without using a step down transformer if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sure do. In Germany, it is delivered with a 230V AC adaptor only, but you can just use a 110 V AC to 12 V DC/1,2 A adaptor plug - these are available for small money almost everywhere. The power connector to the Fritz!Box has plus in the center, minus on the outside.

Then again, I don't know about the DSL modem and ISDN/POTS settings in the States. Most certainly, all this (connecting it to a PBX or good old "Ma Bell", or even ADSL) will not work.

If you plan to just use it as a VoIP adapter in ATA mode: That should work.

Good luck.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Moonbase schrieb:
Sure do. Just use a 12 V DC/1,2 A adaptor plug. The power connector to the Fritz!Box has plus in the center, minus on the outside.

Awesome, it's definitely worth getting one of these devices then. I'm still amazed by how much one device can do, especially the WLAN 7140 and 7170. It's incredible. If I get this, I can get rid of three of my devices and plug everything into this one device.

I just hope they come up with a english firmware for the 7140 and 7170. Until then I'm going to need some help from this forum.

I'm positive they'll come up with English-language firmware for at least the 7050 and the 7170 real soon now...

If not, all you English-speaking Fritz!Users, please let them know! (And let them know I still have some capacity free... *big grin*)

Aaaaarrrgggh! I must have been fritz'ed! ... actually writing "Fritz!Users"...

Moonbase schrieb:
Aaaaarrrgggh! I must have been fritz'ed! ... actually writing "Fritz!Users"...

I hope so too, I am letting them now. I was talking with an international sales rep here in Germany about it.

I'm hoping to get the 7170 or the 7140. The 7140 is all I really need but I can't seem to find it around much. Most websites seem to sell the 7050 and the 7170 very easily.

Is it hard setting up sipgate.de and sipgate.co.uk numbers on this device? I planned to have them along with my current VOIP provider and maybe a few more free ones on there.

I will need some help translating through because I'm not good enough in German to be working with it completely.

sipgate: Good choice - they even lead you step-by-step through the FB configuration, with all your personalized input shown. Nice. (I also use sipgate.de, sipgate.at, and sipgate.co.uk - and a few others.)

Moonbase schrieb:
sipgate: Good choice - they even lead you step-by-step through the FB configuration, with all your personalized input shown. Nice. (I also use sipgate.de, sipgate.at, and sipgate.co.uk - and a few others.)

What is the difference between sipgate.de and sipgate.at? They both are in German if I'm not correct.

I will definitely set the two sipgate accounts and my one other provider.

You have the 7050? Does it have a USB port on the device so you can plug a printer or a network hard drive which can be used by all?

MaLuBoB schrieb:
[...] You have the 7050? Does it have a USB port on the device so you can plug a printer or a network hard drive which can be used by all?

Yes, yes, and no. (The USB port on the 7050 is not usable as USB Host.)

MaLuBoB schrieb:
What is the difference between sipgate.de and sipgate.at? They both are in German if I'm not correct.

The .de version gives you a german telephone number, the .at one an austrian number 9and the .co.uk version a uk number).

You have the 7050? Does it have a USB port on the device so you can plug a printer or a network hard drive which can be used by all?

It only has a USB port for connection a computer. No drives or printers possible (unfortunately, I would really like to put up a 1GB USB stick and have it show up somewhere to be downloaded, or attach my USB capable printer and share it on my network).

elsinga schrieb:
The .de version gives you a german telephone number, the .at one an austrian number 9and the .co.uk version a uk number).

It only has a USB port for connection a computer. No drives or printers possible (unfortunately, I would really like to put up a 1GB USB stick and have it show up somewhere to be downloaded, or attach my USB capable printer and share it on my network).

Thank you both for your help. Thank you Robert, you're helping me again :)

Can the 7170 USB be used in that sense? I've attached a drawing I saw for the 7170 and 7140 that supposedly shows that capability unless I am reading it wrong. They labeled a printer being plugged to the USB port or a NAS (Network Access Storage) unit.

What do you guys think?

I'm considering either the 7140 or 7170. I can't seem to find any online stores in Germany that sell the 7140. This is all I really need because I will not be getting DSL or ISDN ever here. Anyone have recommendations online for the 7140?

Thanks

Anhänge

• ag_1_b.JPG
    ag_1_b.JPG
    15.9 KB · Aufrufe: 44
  • e9_1_b.JPG
    e9_1_b.JPG
    15 KB · Aufrufe: 41
the 7140 seems to be a special version for AOL Germany.
I think there will be no shop that sells this device,
search at eBay Germany for it.

goholger schrieb:
the 7140 seems to be a special version for AOL Germany.
I think there will be no shop that sells this device,
search at eBay Germany for it.

I've been checking ebay germany. It seems like a great device but it is still pricey. I'm searching around for the best price for it.

http://www.avm.de/de/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.html

On this website, can someone tell me what the difference is between the 7050 and the 7140/7170 where the LAN/USB section is?

The 7050 has the 2 LAN ports and 1 USB port??

but the 7140 and 7170 have 4 LAN and no USB?

THat's not what the pictures show. I'm a bit confused.

You can connect to the 7050 through the 2 LAN ports, USB or WLAN.

The 7170 got 4 LAN ports and WLAN. The USB is only for a printer or a memory stick.

The difference between the 7170 and 7140 are the phone plugs. The 7170 got 3 analog and 1 ISDN connector plug. The 7140 has got exclusively 2 analog plugs.

Hello,

pay attention!

The 7050/5050 can be used in ATA Mode (Cablemodem). The Box has 2 indipendent Ethernet Ports. One can be used for WAN Access, the other can be used for connecting multible PC´s in the LAN.

The 7170 (and i think die 7140 too) CAN NOT be used in ATA Mode. 7170/7140 only have ONE physical Ethernet Port. A 4-port Ethernet Switch is connected internal to the Port.

If you use DSL (compatible with Germany :gruebl: ) you can use both Boxes.

voipd.

voipd schrieb:
Hello,

pay attention!

The 7050/5050 can be used in ATA Mode (Cablemodem). The Box has 2 indipendent Ethernet Ports. One can be used for WAN Access, the other can be used for connecting multible PC´s in the LAN.

The 7170 (and i think die 7140 too) CAN NOT be used in ATA Mode. 7170/7140 only have ONE physical Ethernet Port. A 4-port Ethernet Switch is connected internal to the Port.

If you use DSL (compatible with Germany :gruebl: ) you can use both Boxes.

voipd.

I will be using Kabel Deutschland so I will not need a box that is capable of DSL or ISDN. I probably will not get a phone line here in Germany either so I don't think I will ever need the use of ISDN. I plan to use services like sipgate.de for a number and I will always have my cell phone.

The 7140 seems like it is the best option for me because it has no ISDN or DSL modem built in but I'm still trying to get a hold of one for a decent price.

IPbeginner schrieb:
You can connect to the 7050 through the 2 LAN ports, USB or WLAN.

The 7170 got 4 LAN ports and WLAN. The USB is only for a printer or a memory stick.

The difference between the 7170 and 7140 are the phone plugs. The 7170 got 3 analog and 1 ISDN connector plug. The 7140 has got exclusively 2 analog plugs.

Does this mean that the printer or USB stick is dynamically assigned an IP address where any users on the LAN could print to copy files off of if a memory stick is installed?

No, the Fritz!Box will create an internal raw connection to the printer and offer that port as a standard tcp/ip printer port on its ip address, port 9100 tcp. You can access the USB mass storage via FTP. But it will be dead slow (USB 1.1 only).

Ghostwalker schrieb:
No, the Fritz!Box will create an internal raw connection to the printer and offer that port as a standard tcp/ip printer port on its ip address, port 9100 tcp. You can access the USB mass storage via FTP. But it will be dead slow (USB 1.1 only).

That sucks that the USB mass storage will be at 1.1. I wish they had implemented 2.0 into this.

But I guess a printer will not be bad at this speed. Printer's do not take up much speed or need much bandwidth to get working.

I will just plug the USB mass storage into one of the free LAN ports.

I still can not believe how amazing this little box is and how much it can do. I wonder what the new boxes will have because I'm wondering what more than possibly add.

The 7170 has:
-Four port LAN
-1 USB port
-Two analog phone ports to put your VOIP phones
-Configure up to 10 VOIP accounts (This is extraordinary. Most atas I have used like the Sipura would only let me do two accounts at a time.)
- Wireless LAN access
- ISDN capability
- DSL modem built in

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Nope, it's three analog phone ports. And the ISDN capability is even better: you can use ISDN internal and just have an analog line external.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.