Will Fritz!Box work in the U.S.?

However, ISDN in the U.S. is different from ISDN in Europe, so you won't be able to connect any U.S. ISDN equipment, only European devices.

On analogue end devices you get in the U.S., you may have troubles with CLIP as signalling is different.

DSL won't work there, of course... but in most cases, you'll get a DSL Router from your ISP, anyway, so that's easy to take care of.

The only connectivity that's based on a global standard are the LAN (Ethernet) and WLAN features. ;-)

Cheers,
--gandalf.

Ghostwalker schrieb:
Nope, it's three analog phone ports. And the ISDN capability is even better: you can use ISDN internal and just have an analog line external.

I don't quite understand this, what do you mean?

MaLuBoB schrieb:
I don't quite understand this, what do you mean?

It means quite simply that even if you have just a plain analogue line externally, you may use (European DSS1) ISDN internally ;-)

--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
However, ISDN in the U.S. is different from ISDN in Europe, so you won't be able to connect any U.S. ISDN equipment, only European devices.

On analogue end devices you get in the U.S., you may have troubles with CLIP as signalling is different.

DSL won't work there, of course... but in most cases, you'll get a DSL Router from your ISP, anyway, so that's easy to take care of.

The only connectivity that's based on a global standard are the LAN (Ethernet) and WLAN features. ;-)

Cheers,
--gandalf.

Understood, I would probably never use the ISDN or DSL features of these devices.

I would personally use the router part, the WLAN feature, the VOIP features.

That alone consolidates three of my devices into one.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
It means quite simply that even if you have just a plain analogue line externally, you may use (European DSS1) ISDN internally ;-)

--gandalf.

Still confused....sorry :(

Trouble ahead: if you want to use the 7170's router, you will have to do heavy modification - or use the internal DSL-modem.

Perhaps a diagram is helpful:
Telco -> analogue line -> FBF 7170 -> European ISDN -> ISDN-phone
works.

No problem :)

External: ISDN and analogue PSTN connections

Internal: ISDN and analogue phone connections (depending on the type of FBF).

Externally, you may connect, e.g., the FBF 7070, to a European DSS1 ISDN oder an analogue PSTN line.

Internally, you may connect analogue phones or ISDN phones to the FBF to make calls to the outside.

Internal and external connections are independent, i.e., you may use internal ISDN phones even when there is only an outside analogue connection. Or, you may use internal analogue phones while there is an ISDN external connection.

Did that lift some of the misty clouds? ;-)

--gandalf.

I'd probably also go for a 7050 and just disregard DSL and POTS/ISDN features - this unit is mass-produced, easily available and very well-known to function as you require.

Plus, whenever you are within Germany (Europe, most parts of it), you might use the "additional" features.

Additionally, for around 120 bucks, it's probably a very good deal. Oh well, maybe another 10-20 for a suitable 110 VAC mains adaptor...

Moonbase schrieb:
Additionally, for around 120 bucks, it's probably a very good deal. Oh well, maybe another 10-20 for a suitable 110 VAC mains adaptor...

...which may not even be necessary if you get a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) with 230 V output... that's recommended in the U.S. for your PCs, routers, switches, VoIP gateways, etc. , anyway because of flaky power lines. The stability of the U.S. power system is far behind that of most European regions. Most PCs etc. won't complain about 230 VAC.

Let's know what your experiences are with that kind of setup once you have it in place ;-) I'm curious...

--gandalf.

MaLuBoB schrieb:
I will be using Kabel Deutschland so I will not need a box that is capable of DSL or ISDN. I probably will not get a phone line here in Germany either so I don't think I will ever need the use of ISDN. I plan to use services like sipgate.de for a number and I will always have my cell phone.

The 7140 seems like it is the best option for me because it has no ISDN or DSL modem built in but I'm still trying to get a hold of one for a decent price.

???

Thats what i say: Do not use 7170/7140 with Cable Modem! You will have trouble!
You do not need DSL/ISDN, but you NEED the ATA Mode for Kabel Deutschland which ist only supportet in 7050/5050.

voipd.

"I want take it to the States" and "I'll be using Kabel Deutschland" are a little contradictionary anyway, aren't they?

Is it that you're now in Germany but eventually want to take it home when you leave?

Anyway, just believe us and go get a Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050... And basta :)

Moonbase schrieb:
"I want take it to the States" and "I'll be using Kabel Deutschland" are a little contradictionary anyway, aren't they?

Is it that you're now in Germany but eventually want to take it home when you leave?

Anyway, just believe us and go get a Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050... And basta :)

If I'm understanding this right, you guys are saying that the 7140/7170 will not work with my setup with Kabel Deutschland?

Will the 7050 be just a router so that I could use it with whatever provider I want?

I thought, mistakenly, I could use the the 7140/7170 with the Kabel modem provided by Kabel Deutschland. I would use their modem and then connect the LAN out off the Kabel modem to the WAN in on the 7140/7170?

I am so glad I found this forum. I really appreciate all your help in educating me. I was all set on buying the wrong device.

Yes that is correct. If you take a look at ebay.de you will find many 7050 for sale.

I have looked at a number of auctions and I would consider that for a less than one year old 7050 model you will pay between 102 to 115 euro. If you can score one less than 100 you are laughing.

This will be in German and AVM does not support you in changing it to english. If you write to them, they now have a copy and paste email which says "Learn German".

However. If you look in the modification section of this forum you will see in english how to get the 7050 modified to an international version (provided you have some computer experience (not like me)).

MaLuBoB schrieb:
If I'm understanding this right, you guys are saying that the 7140/7170 will not work with my setup with Kabel Deutschland?
That was the intention of my recommendation to take the 7050 (if you need WLAN).
Will the 7050 be just a router so that I could use it with whatever provider I want?
Yes, indeed.
I thought, mistakenly, I could use the the 7140/7170 with the Kabel modem provided by Kabel Deutschland. I would use their modem and then connect the LAN out off the Kabel modem to the WAN in on the 7140/7170?
The LAN ports in the 71xx are just switched, not independent LAN ports. Consequently, supporting an ATA setup is a bit more tricky and currently not supported.

The 5050/7050 are absolutely fine with cable Internet (look at my signature ;-) ) and work as a router or as a simple client in an existing network with a separate router taking care of Internet access. This morning, I received also confirmation from a colleague in the U.S., regarding the issues I mentioned a few postings above about what will and won't work.

--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
No problem :)

External: ISDN and analogue PSTN connections

Internal: ISDN and analogue phone connections (depending on the type of FBF).

Externally, you may connect, e.g., the FBF 7070, to a European DSS1 ISDN oder an analogue PSTN line.

Internally, you may connect analogue phones or ISDN phones to the FBF to make calls to the outside.

Internal and external connections are independent, i.e., you may use internal ISDN phones even when there is only an outside analogue connection. Or,
you may use internal analogue phones while there is an ISDN external connection.

Did that lift some of the misty clouds? ;-)

--gandalf.

hey gandalf, I really appreciate your explainations but it's just clicking for me. I'm not sure what you mean by the internal and external. Is that internal to your house to the number of people you have connected to this device? External meaning from the outside world?

I'm never used ISDN and am fairly new to the German system so I don't know things that well.

darbid schrieb:
Yes that is correct. If you take a look at ebay.de you will find many 7050 for sale.

I have looked at a number of auctions and I would consider that for a less than one year old 7050 model you will pay between 102 to 115 euro. If you can score one less than 100 you are laughing.

This will be in German and AVM does not support you in changing it to english. If you write to them, they now have a copy and paste email which says "Learn German".

However. If you look in the modification section of this forum you will see in english how to get the 7050 modified to an international version (provided you have some computer experience (not like me)).

I will get a 7050 then. I would like to be able to use the wireless feature sometimes. The option of being able to do so is good.

I will be looking for a 7050 then on ebay.de. Hopefully I can find one for a good price :)

External ports: connecting the Fritz!Box to the PSTN of the telco you chose.
Internal ports: connecting the Fritz!Box to the phones you use.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
That was the intention of my recommendation to take the 7050 (if you need WLAN).

Yes, indeed.

The LAN ports in the 71xx are just switched, not independent LAN ports. Consequently, supporting an ATA setup is a bit more tricky and currently not supported.

The 5050/7050 are absolutely fine with cable Internet (look at my signature ;-) ) and work as a router or as a simple client in an existing network with a separate router taking care of Internet access. This morning, I received also confirmation from a colleague in the U.S., regarding the issues I mentioned a few postings above about what will and won't work.

--gandalf.

Thanks again for the help :) I will get the 7050. I thought they were all the same, that would have been a big mistake it seems.

I just needed something that gave me a few more LAN ports as far a router is concerned.

One other question, if you have a fritzbox, how come you are using a sipura 3000 as well? I thought the fritzbox has all those features already?

Ghostwalker schrieb:
External ports: connecting the Fritz!Box to the PSTN of the telco you chose.
Internal ports: connecting the Fritz!Box to the phones you use.

ooooooo ok :) That makes sense.

Thanks Ghostwalker

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.