Will Fritz!Box work in the U.S.?

Looks good. I am sure it is just a typo but in the heading he uses 7050 but in the main part of the text he does not. As you can see from my research above (about 15 auctions) ¤75 is a very good price, almost too good. Check out the WLAN speed the newer 7050's have 125, the older one I do not think so.

If it is just a FritzBox Fon Wlan ie (no 7050) I have watched about 10 auctions and less than 60¤ is the going rate. i just bought one for under that price delivered.

darbid schrieb:
Looks good. I am sure it is just a typo but in the heading he uses 7050 but in the main part of the text he does not. As you can see from my research above (about 15 auctions) ¤75 is a very good price, almost too good. Check out the WLAN speed the newer 7050's have 125, the older one I do not think so.

If it is just a FritzBox Fon Wlan ie (no 7050) I have watched about 10 auctions and less than 60¤ is the going rate. i just bought one for under that price delivered.

Hopefully it is not a typo. I noticed he did not keep the same name both places. I hope it is the 7050 thought, it would a very good price that I can afford.

I will keep my eye open for other offers. Thanks again for your input.

MaLuBoB schrieb:
Hopefully it is not a typo. I noticed he did not keep the same name both places. I hope it is the 7050 thought, it would a very good price that I can afford.

I will keep my eye open for other offers. Thanks again for your input.

I was told by the Kabel Deutschland installation man that it is not possible to install cable internet in my house. I am going to go for DSL again then.

I heard a lot of people talk about 1und1.

Does anyone recommend going through them for DSL rather than Deutsch Telecom?

Is the WLAN DSL modem that they give away for free when you sign up the WLAN 7170?

Thanks

Bobby

MaLuBoB schrieb:
I heard a lot of people talk about 1und1.Bobby
I have had 1und1 6016/576 before as well. I currently do not. I found that the actual speed that i got was much less than that. This is normal and depends on your building that you live in but you should check it out.
MaLuBoB schrieb:
Does anyone recommend going through them for DSL rather than Deutsch Telecom? Bobby
I was calling Australia quite a lot and found that there were many hops by doing a tracert to the sipserver in Australia. I imagine you will be calling overseas as well. I understand that different ISP's will have a different route.

I used a softphone on my lappy at a friend house who had T-DSL and my parents said that compared to my 7050/1und1 combo the T-dsl and softphone was much better, my voice was clearer and was not crackly. (in both cases I was using the same VSP, codec, and calling a PSTN).

I am no expert but put this down to the fact that the routers or hops that a T-DSL connection takes are better.

(for about 1 euro extra per month I believe that 1und1 offers fast path which may make you ping times faster especially for VoIP but how this works I am not sure)

MaLuBoB schrieb:
Is the WLAN DSL modem that they give away for free when you sign up the WLAN 7170? Bobby

I think so. I have just had a look at 1und1 and it looks like a 7170 but "looks" mmmm I am not sure. You will have to do all the necesary things to it to get it to your liking. First remove the 1und1 marking and then change it to english. I moved and the old box and connection stayed with my flatmate. The thing with all these companies are that you MUST have a t com telephone account. You not only pay each month for this but you have to pay a fee to have it put on. Kinda annoying really.

darbid schrieb:
I have had 1und1 6016/576 before as well. I currently do not. I found that the actual speed that i got was much less than that. This is normal and depends on your building that you live in but you should check it out.

I was calling Australia quite a lot and found that there were many hops by doing a tracert to the sipserver in Australia. I imagine you will be calling overseas as well. I understand that different ISP's will have a different route.

I used a softphone on my lappy at a friend house who had T-DSL and my parents said that compared to my 7050/1und1 combo the T-dsl and softphone was much better, my voice was clearer and was not crackly. (in both cases I was using the same VSP, codec, and calling a PSTN).

I am no expert but put this down to the fact that the routers or hops that a T-DSL connection takes are better.

(for about 1 euro extra per month I believe that 1und1 offers fast path which may make you ping times faster especially for VoIP but how this works I am not sure)

I think so. I have just had a look at 1und1 and it looks like a 7170 but "looks" mmmm I am not sure. You will have to do all the necesary things to it to get it to your liking. First remove the 1und1 marking and then change it to english. I moved and the old box and connection stayed with my flatmate. The thing with all these companies are that you MUST have a t com telephone account. You not only pay each month for this but you have to pay a fee to have it put on. Kinda annoying really.

I will ask about the 1 euro to make the pings faster. I will be signing up for the DSL 6MB down. I hope I will not have the same problems as far as sound quality.

It is really annoying getting the phone line hooked up. I will NEVER ever use it and have to pay for it. I only use my VOIP phone and my cell phone. I just got charged 60 euros to get my phone line connected. It is really annoying but I don't know any way around it.

The device they give looks like the 7170 but I am not sure either. How can I change that to English if that is what I receive?

MaLuBoB schrieb:
I will ask about the 1 euro to make the pings faster. ?
This is called fastpath. As i said i am not sure but I think it does not guarantee Voip packet priority...now that would be fantastic.

MaLuBoB schrieb:
I will be signing up for the DSL 6MB down. I hope I will not have the same problems as far as sound quality.
You should not have "sound quality" with the ISP, this will depend more on your choice of VSP and BOX settings, codec, packet sizes QOS settings etc.

MaLuBoB schrieb:
It is really annoying getting the phone line hooked up. I will NEVER ever use it and have to pay for it. I only use my VOIP phone and my cell phone. I just got charged 60 euros to get my phone line connected. It is really annoying but I don't know any way around it.
Not just a german thing this is a DSL thing. If this did not happen how would the rip off telecoms of the world make any money any more. Ever notice how calls costs by most telcoms have gone down and setup costs and monthly costs have gone up. When was the last time a telcom came to a building and said we are upgrading the copper wire in your house?

Aks the neighbours if they want internet :idea:

MaLuBoB schrieb:
The device they give looks like the 7170 but I am not sure either. How can I change that to English if that is what I receive?

have a look here but I think this does NOT apply to the 7170. You will have to rely on haveaniceday if these cannot be applied.

http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=97250
http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=98352

http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=88730&page=2 the last item here is a new account with iund1 and in his signature he has 7170, but in this thread around the end of December some people were getting 7050 even though they were expecting a 7170. I think they complained to 1und1 though.

darbid schrieb:
http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=88730&page=2 the last item here is a new account with iund1 and in his signature he has 7170, but in this thread around the end of December some people were getting 7050 even though they were expecting a 7170. I think they complained to 1und1 though.

I'm confused at to whic I will get. I will have to talk with the customer service techs some more. It's hard to get through to someone who speaks English.

Thanks for the links to the topics on changing the firmware. It appears they are only for those three devices at this time. Maybe eventually AVM will release international firmware.

I will see if any of my neighbors want to share internet. I noticed 1und1 has a 16MB connection but that is only in certain areas. That's an incredible amount of speed for a very good price.

I am sure that i have read something about the 7170 in english. Of course it will have been done by H.A.N.D so he will know. I will have a look too as it seems I am now in the market for the whole box and dice. pitty you cannot share with me.

darbid schrieb:
I am sure that i have read something about the 7170 in english. Of course it will have been done by H.A.N.D so he will know. I will have a look too as it seems I am now in the market for the whole box and dice. pitty you cannot share with me.

I posted in the other thread and haveaniceday replied that it is too much work to make one up and have AVM release a new firmware.

I will just wait a bit. I will see if my neighbors want to share :) hopefully someone will so it will be cheaper for us all.

darbid, Are you German or American? Maybe you or someone here can help me get mye 7050 or 7170 or whatever 1und1 sends me configured up to work with my VOIP providers. I understand a little bit of German here and there from the classes I am taking but not enough.

Well, I am sure that you'll find enough help in English here to get your FBF up and running once you actually have your hands on it and know what kind of FBF that's going to be ;-) I hope it'll be a 7050.

--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
Well, I am sure that you'll find enough help in English here to get your FBF up and running once you actually have your hands on it and know what kind of FBF that's going to be ;-) I hope it'll be a 7050.

--gandalf.

Hey gandalf

I have no doubt I'll get help from here :). I honestly can't wait to get it.

I ordered a Fritzbox 7050 from ebay.de. Seller said it should be coming soon. I am now just wondering what to do with it since Kabel Deutschland did not work out. If I go with 1und1, they will be giving me a WLAN router (I think another 7050 or a 7170).

You recommend I keep the 7050 if 1und1 gives me a 7170?

Well, you may experience troubles with a 7170 as ATA behind a cable modem or running it behind some router in the U.S. The 7050 is more flexible and proven in that respect. You can run it behind another router or cable modem (like I do here with the 5050), or use it as a real ADSL modem/router in Germany.

You'll see... ;-)

--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
Well, you may experience troubles with a 7170 as ATA behind a cable modem or running it behind some router in the U.S. The 7050 is more flexible and proven in that respect. You can run it behind another router or cable modem (like I do here with the 5050), or use it as a real ADSL modem/router in Germany.

You'll see... ;-)

--gandalf.

I'd rather have little problems as possible, especially when I can't read everything on the screen ;)

I'll just keep the 7050. It's all I'll probably ever need. I doubt I would use all the features of the 7170.

Does anyone have any experience with 1und1 being offered on ebay like this aution?

http://cgi.ebay.de/1und1-DSL-Vertra...01361402QQcategoryZ111051QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it saying that if I get the router from this seller and sign up with 1und1 for a contract time, I get the 7050 for free and the 7170 for 30 euros?

Is it safe to go through those guys? Is there any catch in that auction that I should be aware of?

Any help decoding is appreciated :)

You can order a 1&1 contract with ADSL of up to 16000 kbit/s download speed, possibly a phone flat, etc. However, keep in mind that in addition to the cost for the DSL flat there (starting at 4,99 per month), you will have to order DSL from T-Com, starting at EUR 16,99 p.m.

--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
You can order a 1&1 contract with ADSL of up to 16000 kbit/s download speed, possibly a phone flat, etc. However, keep in mind that in addition to the cost for the DSL flat there (starting at 4,99 per month), you will have to order DSL from T-Com, starting at EUR 16,99 p.m.

--gandalf.

I understand these fees. What is the seller from ebay selling then?

Technically, he's not selling the contract, only mediating between customers and 1&1. In any case, you should check out the offers of 1&1 or GMX directly and compare. Esp. GMX may be interesting as with 1&1 you can (to my knowledge) only use VoIP from within their network... with GMX, you're independent and could also use it from any other place on the planet, independent of your actual ISP.

Good night now, I have an early flight tomorrow...
--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
Technically, he's not selling the contract, only mediating between customers and 1&1. In any case, you should check out the offers of 1&1 or GMX directly and compare. Esp. GMX may be interesting as with 1&1 you can (to my knowledge) only use VoIP from within their network... with GMX, you're independent and could also use it from any other place on the planet, independent of your actual ISP.

Good night now, I have an early flight tomorrow...
--gandalf.

Thanks gandolf, I didn't even know about GMX. Their flat rate is cheaper in my area. Only 6,99 euros opposed to 9,99.

So with 1&1 you can only use their VOIP services? I would like to use my current provider from the States. If 1&1 will not allow that, then I definitely would not want to use them.

I will give GMX a call in the morning to see what they offer.

Have a safe flight. Thank you for the new information.

Fritz 7050

Hello,

I just read all you discussed about DSL providers etc.
Let me just explain al little how the german Phone market developed.
The former monopoly phone company like AT%T was not splitted into local babybells and long distance companies, which would habe helped to get a fair market. Now as a result of this they almost own all lines into the households still Some smaller "comptetitors" now sell complete connections through phone lines they own, or cable. This is limited, mostly geographical.
The other competitors try to sell you (the germans are price sensitive but mostly unable to llok further in e g. conditions, quality etc and trust advertising very much. So these companies try to sell e.g a "flat rate" for $1.99 plus flat phone calls within german local and ong distance (no 0900/0180 or cellphones!) but do not exactly communicate, that a T-Com Phone line (¤15 or 16/month, I think) is necessary, you must contract with them the actual DSL access for additional 16.99 - 24.99/month, most for a minimum contract of 2 years. They only rent the DSL part from the former monopoly T-Com an resell it with different conditions.

There are no or almost no consumer protection laws here and contracts are mostly unfair to consumers, including the described advertising with wrong prices or hard to find out the real costs.
If you plan to leave earlier, keep a standart line and DSL with T.Com at monthly cancellation, and then take an independent "flat rate provider" like e.g. "congster" , you will not get cheaper hardware, but can cancel within a shorter period.
Or check with "QDSL" if they have shorter cancellation period, they sell DSL even without any phone line or "flat rate provider".
Then go to independent sip-providers (as you did already), they can be kept for as long as you like, from any IP connection. Also watch out for bad service with firms, only supporting you with email or so called 0180/0900 (both are like 1-900) numbers with "lousy" call centers. The former monopoly T-Com is not the best, but mostly local available and so easier to contact with problems, and one of the few without two years minimum contract

If you only need two internal phone-lines, the older "FritzBoxFon ata" will be a good deal at around ¤40-50 (ebay etc), as it comes without the internal DSL-Modem, a WAN and a LAN port, capable to be a router, Sip-ATA (ten providers) and a line in for ISDN (european only I believe) and/or analogue line in. I used it at my other router and now, switched to an Isdn-Pbx it is now used by a german friend in the US at his IP connection as router (connecting to a seperate WLAN access point) and SIP device, connected to a local phone line and SIP and two phones.
It is also updated with the newsest firmware from AVM and I read also about an english version somewhere here.

Good luck
Chris

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.