Will Fritz!Box work in the U.S.?

07000fernweh schrieb:
Hello,

I just read all you discussed about DSL providers etc.
Let me just explain al little how the german Phone market developed.
The former monopoly phone company like AT%T was not splitted into local babybells and long distance companies, which would habe helped to get a fair market. Now as a result of this they almost own all lines into the households still Some smaller "comptetitors" now sell complete connections through phone lines they own, or cable. This is limited, mostly geographical.
The other competitors try to sell you (the germans are price sensitive but mostly unable to llok further in e g. conditions, quality etc and trust advertising very much. So these companies try to sell e.g a "flat rate" for $1.99 plus flat phone calls within german local and ong distance (no 0900/0180 or cellphones!) but do not exactly communicate, that a T-Com Phone line (¤15 or 16/month, I think) is necessary, you must contract with them the actual DSL access for additional 16.99 - 24.99/month, most for a minimum contract of 2 years. They only rent the DSL part from the former monopoly T-Com an resell it with different conditions.

There are no or almost no consumer protection laws here and contracts are mostly unfair to consumers, including the described advertising with wrong prices or hard to find out the real costs.
If you plan to leave earlier, keep a standart line and DSL with T.Com at monthly cancellation, and then take an independent "flat rate provider" like e.g. "congster" , you will not get cheaper hardware, but can cancel within a shorter period.
Or check with "QDSL" if they have shorter cancellation period, they sell DSL even without any phone line or "flat rate provider".
Then go to independent sip-providers (as you did already), they can be kept for as long as you like, from any IP connection. Also watch out for bad service with firms, only supporting you with email or so called 0180/0900 (both are like 1-900) numbers with "lousy" call centers. The former monopoly T-Com is not the best, but mostly local available and so easier to contact with problems, and one of the few without two years minimum contract

If you only need two internal phone-lines, the older "FritzBoxFon ata" will be a good deal at around ¤40-50 (ebay etc), as it comes without the internal DSL-Modem, a WAN and a LAN port, capable to be a router, Sip-ATA (ten providers) and a line in for ISDN (european only I believe) and/or analogue line in. I used it at my other router and now, switched to an Isdn-Pbx it is now used by a german friend in the US at his IP connection as router (connecting to a seperate WLAN access point) and SIP device, connected to a local phone line and SIP and two phones.
It is also updated with the newsest firmware from AVM and I read also about an english version somewhere here.

Good luck
Chris

Hey Chris,

Thank you for the reply. I honestly did not know there were all these companies here for internet. I am not sure but at this point GMX seems like a good deal. However with the options you laid out, I am not 100% sure. I looked at congster and qdsl. With the basic phone line from t-com (16 eurs) + the dsl (24,99) + flatrate (6,99) from gmx (total 31,98), it seems I will be paying roughly 48 euros a month. I'm not sure if I can find a better deal than that.

qmx will be 30 euros a month flat?

I guess with gmx I would be stuck with a 2 year contract which is not that bad I guess.

Any recommendations on which to go. I've been here two years but do not know enough about Germany systems to get the best deal for myself. I am open to any advice and suggestions anyone can give so I can make a good choice. I really do not want to lock myself into something bad.

with congster, do I need to get a basic phone line from tcom?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I'm interested in qdsl. I would much rather get a provider that I do not need to get a basic phone line from t-com. I never use the phone line ever. I only use my VOIP provider from the states and my German cell phone.

Are there other good providers who provide DSL with no need to get the phone line? I did not even know this was possible. Is QDSL reliable?

I signed up today at t-com for the basic phone. Is it possible to cancel this without being charged anything? They said the phone will be hooked up this friday and I will be charged 60 euros to have the phone connected. Can I cancel this tomorrow without being charged the 60 euro fee?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm really interested in this.

Thanks

MaLuBoB schrieb:
darbid, Are you German or American? Maybe you or someone here can help me get mye 7050 or 7170 or whatever 1und1 sends me configured up to work with my VOIP providers. I understand a little bit of German here and there from the classes I am taking but not enough.
Buddy I am dissappointed. That flag on the left of this post is from Australia. I live in Munich.

As for helping you with the changes I am the biggest noob with linux/cygwin you really should not rely on me. Just look at my posts with HAND in that German to English thread.:noidea:

Couple of things on the Fritz Box

I assume that you want the Fritzbox in English and you will not wait as HAND has suggested. If that is the case, have a look at the AVM site in english. There are only two English possibilities when you want a box with WLAN. The Fritzbox fon wlan FBFW and the fritzbox fon wlan 7050 FBF 7050. They have the same features, share the same pages but at the bottom you will see that the 7050 has two small input differences.

In english the 71XX does not exist, it does not appear to work as an ata alone, Annex A modem and does not have an english update (YET)

Upon my reading it appears in software terms there is very little difference between the 7050 and the FBFWLAN. HAND Said somewhere (I THINK) that he was 99.9% certain the software was almost identical.

Thus if you want to do something now and buy a device outside a contract with the likes of 1und1 then I would suggest buy a FBFWLAN. You can get one for under 60 euro from Ebay. It can be debranded, changed to english with the only english version that I know for the software ie International Version (it does not have WDS I have learnt), it will work as a modem or ata, can be changed to annex A and sent OS to friends or family. If the Annex A change does not work then you put it behind a modem and you can still use it. This flexibility is just not there with the 71XX.

I do believe that AVM must get with the program and learn that their product is great and that they should start not only looking past the German SALES border but providing support accross the german border. Their current answer of "learn German" is not going to cut it too much longer in Europe. I bought a repeater from Siemens a true multinational yesterday and the first option on the thing is a drop down box with languages.

GMX, T-Com

GMX is part of the group "United Internet", a larger Internet-Provider solely selling resell products.
This is to consider, they actually do not hold own lines etc. Only Braoadnet mediascape and QDSL / QSC sell independent lines without phone and do not rent from T-Com, although, depending where you live, there are local phone companies, who also sell phone and DSL and IP in one, csoting totally all the same. Check with Hansenet, M-Net or Versatel, depending, where you live.
Avoid long contracts, tghey really want your money, no service except call centers where you pay also those 1-900. The germans do not understand service, they accept this. A German would pay a dollar aminute to complain if he was billed wrong. The state does not help in this there are no FCC or any working organizations here to stop certein companies to serve their clients unfair. That 2 years contract business makes it easy not to give good service, you are hooked up and cannot change so ...what is the reason to give you good service. Better spend money for agressive and delusively advertising...
There is a gouvernment agency but mostly all employees are former with Telekom, where, as agouvernment agency, all employees are Beamten (lifetime kept, salaries guaranteed, pensions payed by the taxpayer, not them. This makes that organization obsolet.
Doublecheck if the company you like to contract with IP providiung is independent of the so called resale DSL and then keepo DSL plus phone with T-Com, use their flat rate and then have a choice to change this without payin ¤99 per change of the resale DSL. Do you surf a lot??
Also there is PlanetDSL, they charge for DSL access thru T-DSL no monthly fee, just 0.34 cents(Eurocents) per Megabyte. I use this in the office, where I only use certain low traffic application and VOIP for about ¤2 - 3/month in traffic.

Your phone line is mostly indstalled, if they let you out without the sixty Euros, let it, but otherwise take it. Congster e.g will give you then DSL from T-Com T-.DSL (not their Resale) without the additional 99 Euro Beeitstellung but you still can change the provider as it will be T-Dsl.
Other "resale" providers offer you a reduced FritzBox but still charge you the Bereistellungsgeld (activation).
Good Luck!
Chris

darbid schrieb:
Upon my reading it appears in software terms there is very little difference between the 7050 and the FBFWLAN. HAND Said somewhere (I THINK) that he was 99.9% certain the software was almost identical.

No, pure FBF WLAN (like you have) is without ISDN capabilities, and AVM have released a firmware in English for it (08.04.01). 7050, OTOH, is FBF WLAN with ISDN S0 bus and it needs 14.xx.yy firmware, which currently exists only in German. However, to give a credit where it's due, there's a PDF manual for 7050 available in English. I hope it's a sign that an English firmware version will be available soon.

"Doublecheck if the company you like to contract with IP providiung is independent of the so called resale DSL and then keepo DSL plus phone with T-Com, use their flat rate and then have a choice to change this without payin ¤99 per change of the resale DSL. Do you surf a lot??"

How do I find out if they are independent of the so called resale DSL? I am looking at companies like QDSL, GMX, 1&1 and regular T-Com.

I called up QDSL and their service is not available in my postal code yet. So that leaves that out of the possibilities.

Do you recommend then I go with regular T-Com or go with providers like GMX, 1&1 or congster?

Is it true that with 1&1 you are only able to use their VOIP provider and no other services? I have a provider from the U.S. already that I would much like to use. If I am not able to do that, then it is not worthwhile for me.

Thanks

darbid schrieb:
Buddy I am dissappointed. That flag on the left of this post is from Australia. I live in Munich.

As for helping you with the changes I am the biggest noob with linux/cygwin you really should not rely on me. Just look at my posts with HAND in that German to English thread.:noidea:

I am really sorry bud, I did not even look at that. I was just posting quick replies back.

sskracic schrieb:
No, pure FBF WLAN (like you have) is without ISDN capabilities, and AVM have released a firmware in English for it (08.04.01). 7050, OTOH, is FBF WLAN with ISDN S0 bus and it needs 14.xx.yy firmware, which currently exists only in German. However, to give a credit where it's due, there's a PDF manual for 7050 available in English. I hope it's a sign that an English firmware version will be available soon.

That's awesome, an english pdf is all I need, I can manage my way through after that. I hope an english firmware is released eventually though.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
......... you should check out the offers of 1&1 or GMX directly and compare. Esp. GMX may be interesting as with 1&1 you can (to my knowledge) only use VoIP from within their network... with GMX, you're independent and could also use it from any other place on the planet, independent of your actual ISP.

What do you mean with 1und1 and VoIP. If I go on holidays to spain and take my laptop with a softphone and my registration details of one of my 1und1 accounts are you telling us that it will not work?

darbid schrieb:
What do you mean with 1und1 and VoIP. If I go on holidays to spain and take my laptop with a softphone and my registration details of one of my 1und1 accounts are you telling us that it will not work?

Exactly. Same with Tiscali. However, you may use your sipgate or GMX accounts from any Internet connection world-wide.

--gandalf.

That was new to me, too.

So if I had a 1&1 VoIP phone flat, would that constellation be possible:
- Register an account for GMX VoIP.
(Would there be any fix costs? Or do I have to pay only for the connections?)
- Register my GMX VoIP phone number anywhere on the world i.e. via a softphone.
- Forward incoming calls in my FritzBox to my GMX VoIP account.
- For outgoing calls: Use the call through function of my FritzBox.

Would that be without any extra cost?

Marsupilami schrieb:
That was new to me, too.

As far as I can see you cannot have a GMX VoIP without DSL and everything together.

Gandalf....1und1 .....
- With 1und1 how does that work. I understand that they have a softphone. So before registering the VoIP account on the softphone does it check the IP address or something?

darbid schrieb:
As far as I can see you cannot have a GMX VoIP without DSL and everything together.
I personally have GMX only for VoIP, not for DSL. In fact, I don't have any DSL at all.

darbid schrieb:
With 1und1 how does that work. I understand that they have a softphone. So before registering the VoIP account on the softphone does it check the IP address or something?
IP addresses within the IP network assigned by 1&1 come from a certain range. This is checked. Tiscali does the same. It's not done on the client side (soft phone or VoIP gateway) but on the ISP/VoIP-Provider side.

--gandalf.

Marsupilami schrieb:
That was new to me, too.

- Register my GMX VoIP phone number anywhere on the world i.e. via a softphone.
- Forward incoming calls in my FritzBox to my GMX VoIP account.
- For outgoing calls: Use the call through function of my FritzBox.

Would that be without any extra cost?

I have opened an e-mail account with GMX (for free) and allocated two fixed-line numbers (for free). These can be used for VoIP-in (for free, no base free). They can be used (and have been) from any place on the Internet.

Outbound calls use my voipbuster or sipdiscount accounts...

--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
IP addresses within the IP network assigned by 1&1 come from a certain range. This is checked. Tiscali does the same. It's not done on the client side (soft phone or VoIP gateway) but on the ISP/VoIP-Provider side.--gandalf.

Hey Gandalf I just read this http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=98929 which if I understand correctly the person has his box registered with a number and then he goes to his friends house and can use the 1und1 Softphone. It is possible that his friends are also with 1und1 but I would guess not.

Is the range of IP addresses very wide or something?????

:blonk:Sorry, many apologies for spreading wrong information! I just checked with a friend who has 1&1 DSL and also uses VoIP with 1&1.

It is in fact the case that you may use VoIP also from other broadband internet connections, but getting it requires an 1&1 DSL contract. In other words, in order to get a VoIP account with 1&1 you must subscribe to 1&1 DSL, but once you have it you may use it from any internet connection.

Sorry for the confusion. :blonk:

--gandalf.

gandalf94305 schrieb:
I have opened an e-mail account with GMX (for free) and allocated two fixed-line numbers (for free). These can be used for VoIP-in (for free, no base free). They can be used (and have been) from any place on the Internet.

Outbound calls use my voipbuster or sipdiscount accounts...

--gandalf.

I received my 7050 :) I ended up signing up with congster for dsl. It seemed like the best deal for me. Only a 12 month contract, they give me back the 99 euros setup fee that T-com charges. Their flat rate was only 4,99 and DSL 6000 only costs 24,99. Overall, not a bad deal I guess. Thank you everyone for your help, suggestions and info. They said it'll take a few weeks to get installed.

Gandalf, how do I get a free local inbound number through GMX? There is no fee for setting it up and incoming is always free? I have my T-com number not by choice but I guess it's good to have.

Another question about the 7050, is it possible to have incoming calls coming in from my home phone line be picked up my 7050 and ask for a pin code and be connected to my VOIP line?

My sipura 3000 had this feature and it was very useful. I was wondering if this same feature could be had through the fritzbox.

You have many new topics here which I and maybe many people would like to know about (in english) maybe you could start some new threads. As you have a 7050 function question put it under telephoning (i think). If you do not like that idea then........

MaLuBoB schrieb:
I received my 7050 :)

How? What did you pay?

MaLuBoB schrieb:
I ended up signing up with congster for dsl. It seemed like the best deal for me. Only a 12 month contract, they give me back the 99 euros setup fee that T-com charges. Their flat rate was only 4,99 and DSL 6000 only costs 24,99.

Tell me more. What was total set up costs? was are the total monthly charges including t-com.

MaLuBoB schrieb:
Gandalf, how do I get a free local inbound number through GMX? There is no fee for setting it up and incoming is always free? I have my T-com number not by choice but I guess it's good to have.

What is your goal here? A DID for people to call you? You cannot get a better DID than T-Com. Shit you are paying a monthly charge for it you should get some use out of it :)

I do not use GMX. I started to apply for one and they want your Bank Account details, that is where I stopped. I would suggest that you get a SIPGATE one. You can then use it as a in-coming phone number and if you enter your correct address it will give you a DID for that area (provided they have one).

I am not sure how they allocate them but Voipbust/stunt/spar also allocate you a German DID when you enter Germany as your address and you put money onto your account. I use STUNT all the time. Just spent over an hour on the phone to my parents in Australia with stunt and the call was as good as with the PSTN.

MaLuBoB schrieb:
Another question about the 7050, is it possible to have incoming calls coming in from my home phone line be picked up my 7050 and ask for a pin code and be connected to my VOIP line?

There are two functions. One you can choose a redirection. When somebody unknown to you phones in the box can be set up so that it redirects the call back out again automatically to a nominated phone number. Then your dial rules will determine how that call out will be dealt with.

The second is when you dial in, you can give a pin, then 0 for a line out and then can dial any phone number you want.

If the second choice is the one you want to use ie you want to call your box and then dial out over VoIP, the quality of the call depends on the quality of your ISP. One way to get a better call is with VoIPbuster etc their softphone has a call forward option now. So you set up a call forward to the number you want to call. Then call yourself. The call will be redirected.

Holen Sie sich 3CX - völlig kostenlos!
Verbinden Sie Ihr Team und Ihre Kunden Telefonie Livechat Videokonferenzen

Gehostet oder selbst-verwaltet. Für bis zu 10 Nutzer dauerhaft kostenlos. Keine Kreditkartendetails erforderlich. Ohne Risiko testen.

3CX
Für diese E-Mail-Adresse besteht bereits ein 3CX-Konto. Sie werden zum Kundenportal weitergeleitet, wo Sie sich anmelden oder Ihr Passwort zurücksetzen können, falls Sie dieses vergessen haben.